Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-24-2009, 05:37 PM   #151
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
But most of all: Are you the best possible expert that you can judge if K-7 isn't more rugged for winter and snow usage than the K20D?
Get a grip. I never said I was the best expert. Are you? Didn't think so.

05-24-2009, 05:55 PM   #152
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Get a grip. I never said I was the best expert. Are you? Didn't think so.
You're right, you didn't say so.

But in saying "Pentax are here marketing a feature that has always existed" you are acting as if you were more expert than Pentax on the matter. Are you? Didn't think so.

I just want nobody sitting in the snow with his dead K20D at -10°C and say: "But in his blog, Robin affirmed ..."
05-24-2009, 09:12 PM   #153
Pentaxian

You must really be desperate to invoke KR!
It was a joke. That's what the smiley was for.
Having said that, he did some decent shots (one can argue about taste, it isn't my style) and won awards for them. More than I (you?) can claim. All with JPG only.

Not using RAW mode is like burning your negatives.
Never had any, never needed any.

QuoteOriginally posted by RuiC Quote
I'm being naughty on this one
Hey, thanks for the thorough reading!.
But actually even put next together, these seemingly contradictory statements make sense if read as intended:

1. I don't want to be forced to crop every time. Most shots I frame like I want to view/print them and do not want to change anything about them.

2. Sometimes you don't have quite the reach with a lens you need (lucky dogs with lenses >300mm) or you discover a great image within your image, a framing opportunity you weren't aware of at the time of shooting. Then it is great to "zoom in" / "recompose" at the computer without immediately being penalized with unacceptable resolution.
05-24-2009, 10:56 PM   #154
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It came to me in a dream, last night.. Literally.

You see, it was this interesting beach scene where I'd fitted an FD mount lens to my K20d, and *all* I wanted was to use this Graflex flashbulb handle and reflector for some fill-lighting on a nearby object.. and actually it worked, cause it was *my* dream and weird enough already, but then, awakening in horror, I realized.

Despite the PC terminal, no wireless FP synch.

Pentax is doomed.

05-25-2009, 05:05 AM   #155
Veteran Member

I just want nobody sitting in the snow with his dead K20D at -10°C and say: "But in his blog, Robin affirmed ..."
This is getting tiresome. I am not sure why you must keep returning this debate to insinuations about my character and ability. If you wish to read into simple statements the belief that I am setting myself up as an "expert" that is not my problem. It is clearly your problem.

If you think someone is going to blame me for their camera not working at subzero temperatures, well, that is getting into the realms of fantasy. Plenty of photographers have used these cameras in the Antarctic, Greenland, northern Finland, the outer atmosphere, etc. in temperatures ranging down to minus thirty. I have read their reports and seen the photos. That doesn't make me an expert. It just makes me a writer summarizing other people's findings. But that happens to be something I'm rather good at doing.

Don't like my opinion? Fine. But I see no reason to keep up the insinuations. Instead, please show me facts that contradict my statements. Show me all the cameras that have failed once the temperature went below freezing.

Or maybe we can move on and admit that previous Pentax cameras also rock in this regard?
05-25-2009, 06:16 AM   #156
Forum Member

To return to the thread

Let's bash Pentax and the K7

Here's my bash

Why?, Why? ,Why? (Pentax) did you listen to so many people and produce a camera of such stunning ergonometry and capability

This bloody thing is, and repeat is, going to cost me the best part of 2/3 of my monthly salary

Trevor

PS Agree with Ratmagiclady - we need far more laser beams on the K8 - and far more dreams too
Incidentally - was in Venice 2 weeks ago - such potential
05-25-2009, 10:04 AM   #157
RaduA

@ Class A: I really don't understand why you still entertain this fellow. Now falconeye I can understand, him and rparmar are cut from the same cloth in a slightly different shape, but you, I really don't get it ...
In your shoes I'll find a more useful way to spend my time than to fuel the desperate need for attention of this guy.

Regards,
Radu

05-25-2009, 10:31 AM   #158
Veteran Member

Get a grip.
Yes, but I haven't seen the grip available for the K-7 yet. What's the price for it? It doesn't seem listed at the online stores.
05-25-2009, 11:56 AM   #159
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
You don't have to do it everytime. The camera will memorise your choice even when power-cycled. The OK button lets you switch between two modes: 1. direction buttons take you to the special functionw, and 2. direction buttons control the AF point. Once you select mode 2 once, you will stay in it.

I think this will work like a charm.
Hmm, not so sure about this.

Very easy to accidentally hit the OK button when operating the selection buttons, then, bang! You are out of AF selection mode.

Also, not possible to have a centre point reset, when in AF select mode, by hitting the OK button as in the K20D.

A relatively straightforward fix would be to have a "push and hold" for a couple of seconds to avoid accidental switching.

Any thoughts about this?
05-25-2009, 12:35 PM   #160
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RaduA Quote
Now falconeye I can understand, him and rparmar are cut from the same cloth in a slightly different shape
Hmmmh ....

.... so I was wondering if this could be meant in a less than positive manner

.... so, I checked out Robin and I am so glad to find out that he is both a great photographer (e.g., check out blue "Shrine, Co. Claire" on PPG) and a great mind (e.g., he holds a degree in Theoretical Physics!).

.... so, this must have been meant in the most positive way

BTW,
In this down to -10°C controversy, I think we are talking misunderstandings here. Robin says that maybe, there was nothing new because the K20D was reported to stand -10°C (and less) too. I say that maybe, there is something new like better parts which made the specification change and now, K-7 is specified for lower temperatures than other advanced cameras like K20D or D700. We both cannot know. I only would like Robin to concede that he cannot be sure, either.
05-25-2009, 01:05 PM   #161
Veteran Member

The K-7 lacks a viewfinder blind, we are stuck with that annoying plastic viewfinder cap. Now that there us a true mirror lock up (at lest I have read it somewhere) a viewfinder blind is a must...

At least, Pentax, give us the little pockets that were in the Z1P neckstrap, for viewfinder cap and hotshoe cover.
05-25-2009, 01:17 PM   #162
Veteran Member

I only would like Robin to concede that he cannot be sure, either.
But I have never said I am sure. I only say "a difference that makes no difference is no difference".

P.S. I am far from a great photographer. I mean, I don't even use medium format... yet!
05-25-2009, 01:18 PM   #163
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Richard Day Quote
A relatively straightforward fix would be to have a "push and hold" for a couple of seconds to avoid accidental switching.

Any thoughts about this?
I think that would be a worthwhile improvement.
05-25-2009, 03:56 PM   #164
Pentaxian

Very easy to accidentally hit the OK button when operating the selection buttons, then, bang! You are out of AF selection mode.
I never had that problem with my K100D.

Also, not possible to have a centre point reset, when in AF select mode, by hitting the OK button as in the K20D.
This is a very good point. I very often used the "OK button focus point reset" until I switched to using the OK button as my focus enabler (to decouple focus from shutter release). I hope there will be some way to reset the focus point on the K-7.

First I liked this idea (if it were the only way to get a focus point reset), but I don't think I'd like to wait for the camera to react to a "long button press". I think I'd rather use a "double click".

EDIT: I wrote something about the K-7 user interface but later came to realise that I was misinformed by some DPR postings. Since I don't know about how modal the K-7 interface is and the messages on the net are conflicting, I removed my comment.

While we are talking about GUI features we cannot control anyhow , I'd love to see a "button pressed & dial" style of option selection. For instance, you press the WB button and while keeping it pressed use a dial to cycle through the WB options (which are then displayed on the back LCD and, if possible, on the top LCD). Releasing the WB button accepts the current choice. I think this would be much quicker than entering a menu, and then making a selection with the cursor keys, with a final "OK" to accept.

Last edited by Class A; 05-28-2009 at 01:47 PM.
05-26-2009, 04:51 AM   #165
Veteran Member

Another problem with the two modes for the cursor keys is that you cannot see which mode is active. If you use them both and forget once to switch back to your default mode then you'll be in the wrong mode next time you pick up the camera (and your first button click will not do what you expect).
I agree totally. As a general design principle, operating modes are evil. I am starting to discuss usability etc. on my blog, starting with Everyday Design.

While we are talking about GUI features we cannot control anyhow , I'd love to see a "button pressed & dial" style of option selection. For instance, you press the WB button and while keeping it pressed use a dial to cycle through the WB options (which are then displayed on the back LCD and, if possible, on the top LCD).
That does seem elegant in theory, but in practice I dislike anything that requires two fingers to operate. There is never any way to do this without disrupting the photographic experience of attaining images through the viewfinder.

It then becomes a matter of considering whether the option change is one that would normally need be made with viewfinder to eye or while staring at the LCD. WB might indeed be a good candidate for what you suggest.

The fact I had to hold down the OK button and dial to change ISO was a compelling reason to upgrade from the K100DS to the K20D. Unfortunately, I then found I still have to do this in Manual mode, which is where I spend half my time. Worse yet, from the published menu shots, this has not been addressed in the K-7.