Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-18-2009, 09:06 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Fang Quote
As the author of the original hands-on article, I am now presenting to you a flickr hands-on gallery with English descriptions. I am on a busy day at work here so I won't be able to answer many questions. I can't emphasize this enough: the body I had access to only had firmware 0.20, so I would not evaluate actual performance of this body. That's why I posted mainly images of the exterior and some menu items of interest.

Pentax K-7 Hands-On - a set on Flickr

Thanks!
Sorry Peter, I've already posted your link above

And I'm sure many here would thank you for your hands on report. Very comprehensive and informative

05-18-2009, 09:06 PM   #47

Thank you for all the hard work.

Did you look at the x-sync speed? Wondering if it's still 1/180. Thanks.

As the author of the original hands-on article, I am now presenting to you a flickr hands-on gallery with English descriptions. I am on a busy day at work here so I won't be able to answer many questions. I can't emphasize this enough: the body I had access to only had firmware 0.20, so I would not evaluate actual performance of this body. That's why I posted mainly images of the exterior and some menu items of interest.

Thanks!
05-18-2009, 09:17 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Thanks!
yes Peter, thank you very much.

i think what everyone really wants to know is, is there anything special or non-conventional about the viewfinder aside from its ~100% coverage?
05-18-2009, 09:30 PM   #49
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by illdefined Quote

i think what everyone really wants to know is, is there anything special or non-conventional about the viewfinder aside from its ~100% coverage?
If there is, I haven't found it. There's a menu item called "movie info overlay" as you can see in the live view menu, but I doubt that's something special. On this 0.20 firmware I can't tell what it does.

Peter

05-18-2009, 09:35 PM   #50
Veteran Member

Peter you rock
05-18-2009, 09:37 PM   #51
MSM
Veteran Member

Thanks Peter. Nice to actually see some unobscured views. The 50-200 looks nice. (Does the build feel nicer than the original?)

OT: Ned had posted a picture of George Harrison of the Beatles with a Pentax and said that the clue or tease would make sense after the release of the K7. So any thoughts?
05-18-2009, 09:43 PM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Torphoto Quote
Peter you rock
indeed. thank you for the very thorough report and excellent pictures.

anything noticeably better about the AF system? also, you can confirm that the thing by the shutter is, in fact, a (green) AF assist lamp?

05-18-2009, 09:43 PM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MSM Quote
Thanks Peter. Nice to actually see some unobscured views. The 50-200 looks nice. (Does the build feel nicer than the original?)

OT: Ned had posted a picture of George Harrison of the Beatles with a Pentax and said that the clue or tease would make sense after the release of the K7. So any thoughts?
That was supposed to be about the whole feel and experience using the K7, I think.
05-18-2009, 09:49 PM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote

last version of video modes
But that's TV output, not video resolution.
Either way, just some hours ago didn;t you say there was no 1080i? Now you're saying there is? Do you even know anything about this camera or just blurting crap out???
05-18-2009, 09:50 PM   #55
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by illdefined Quote

Hey, this looks cool. Appreciations to those who made the efforts. Looks really good.

But, illdefined, it does still look like they used that new prism design, (That look like the kind of mirror you'd expect, folks?) ...and according to one of these posts, it appears that the screen is for more-accurate manual focus (seems maybe you get less apparent DOF from the brightening,) so that seems helpful. Looking like some improvements on 'pretty nice' rather than the real show-stopper I was rooting for, but it would seem they got a more-sophisticated Live View in the system, as you'd expect with video.

Looks pretty good. Also looks like they really packed stuff in there, that looks pretty small.

(And I do kind of like the look of the new lens: the DA-style zoom rings are very practical and feel good, but look a little odd to me somehow. Not that it matters much: it's the primes I'm after. )
05-18-2009, 09:55 PM   #56
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Hey, this looks cool. Appreciations to those who made the efforts. Looks really good.

But, illdefined, it does still look like they used that new prism design, (That look like the kind of mirror you'd expect, folks?) ...and according to one of these posts, it appears that the screen is for more-accurate manual focus (seems maybe you get less apparent DOF from the brightening,) so that seems helpful.
think youre right. take a look at this post by ogl: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/601624-post97.html

looks pretty unconventional to me..
05-18-2009, 09:59 PM   #57
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MSM Quote
Oh, *now* I get it. I was playing the White Album backwards all this time. Phew. I'm glad Paul's all right. I thought George had got the Pentax in his will.

edit: having a peek at the post, maybe the 'little detail' is the old-style strap lugs. It looks as though George might be attaching or removing the strap, if that's what's sort of on his coat behind the camera.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 05-18-2009 at 10:24 PM.
05-18-2009, 10:10 PM   #58
Veteran Member

What is "Composition Adjust."?

If there is, I haven't found it. There's a menu item called "movie info overlay" as you can see in the live view menu, but I doubt that's something special. On this 0.20 firmware I can't tell what it does.
Peter
Hi Peter, one of your photo showed a menu item called Composition Adjust, do you know what it does?
05-18-2009, 10:21 PM   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
Hi Peter, one of your photo showed a menu item called Composition Adjust, do you know what it does?
Speculation: Could they have brought back power-zoom or a digitally-cropped version thereof for the video, perhaps? I got curious last month about exactly what that was supposed to do, but there's apparently face-recognition for focus, maybe it could hold subject size as distance changes?
05-18-2009, 10:30 PM   #60
Veteran Member

what button is this?

??