Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2009, 04:33 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Any New Pentax Glass post K-7?

Now that the K-7 is almost upon us, and from what I have seen my K20 will do just fine, I am not impressed at all of what I have seen of the K7 specs. Cost to upgrade exceeds benefits gained, I take stills - could care less about video.

Pentax now has a very limited line of lenses and is relying on old stock lenses that many of us are using, as frankly, some of the new lenses are junk. I am excluding the limited lenses here which are few and far between and limited in range.

So anyone hear of anything good glass coming out of Hoya / Pentax - eg good professional glass?? A nice new Macro or long fast lens (300mm f2,8; 200mm F4 macro) would be nice - do we have any hopes or are we regulated to limited offerings to support the new bodies and the old stock we all rely on that is becoming difficult to locate and increasingly expensive?

05-19-2009, 04:50 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well, 20 lenses that range from 10-300mm isn't that bad, with 1/3 of them pro-calibre grade. I only know of the two new kit WR lenses on the immediate horizon. What focal range are you looking to aquire or upgrade too?
05-19-2009, 04:56 PM   #3
Veteran Member

there is a new lens road map comming out with the K-7 and maybe a 30mm F1.4, we'll know more tomorrow it seems.
05-19-2009, 08:15 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Naturephoto1P Quote
Now that the K-7 is almost upon us, and from what I have seen my K20 will do just fine, I am not impressed at all of what I have seen of the K7 specs. Cost to upgrade exceeds benefits gained, I take stills - could care less about video.
From what I can tell, the K-7 isn't necessarily marketed towards people with a K20d. You're right, the benefits are not so far above the K20d that it warrants buying a whole new camera, unless you're a pro/semi-pro and you really want those few extras. I think it's marketed t people who are either behind the times with older Pentax DSLRs who are itching to upgrade and need a little nudge, or people who are looking for a reason to buy into Pentax. I think it's going to work and be a very successful camera.

05-20-2009, 03:13 AM   #5
Veteran Member

It usually takes a couple generations till its worth upgrading for the average single SLR person. My K10d still has a bit of life left in it, especially since I shoot a lot of low ISO stuff. Will get K-7 in year of so.
If you think the pentax lens lineup is limited consider whats been added since the K10d.
Da15 Ltd, Da*16-50, Da17-70, Da35 ltd, Da*50-135, Da*55, Da55-300, Da*60-200, Da*200, Da*300, 3 different version of kit lens. Thats a lot of LBA for a lot of people
Bring on the Da30
Cheers
05-20-2009, 03:26 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Naturephoto1P Quote
The advantages of 1/8000 shutter, 100% viewfinder with new matte screen for easier manual focusing, faster and more accurate autofocus and faster continous shooting, built-in correction for CA and distorsion plus better performance on high ISO are benefits for still shooters.

QuoteQuote:
So anyone hear of anything good glass coming out of Hoya / Pentax - eg good professional glass?? A nice new Macro or long fast lens (300mm f2,8; 200mm F4 macro) would be nice - do we have any hopes or are we regulated to limited offerings to support the new bodies and the old stock we all rely on that is becoming difficult to locate and increasingly expensive?
Pentax are expanding their lens line all the time. They have a super telephoto promised in the latest roadmap.
05-20-2009, 03:36 AM   #7

and what for sport shooters ?
05-20-2009, 03:37 AM   #8
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Vaikis_ Quote
and what for sport shooters ?
canikon )))

05-20-2009, 03:38 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by ions Quote
canikon )))
realy ? Maybe K-7 good for that ?
05-20-2009, 03:46 AM   #10
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Vaikis_ Quote
realy ? Maybe K-7 good for that ?
yes it is perfect... with it's green af assist light - all other photographers will kill you during indoor sports
yeh, yeh, i know - it can be turned off