Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2009, 09:05 PM   #16
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,915
QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
Not bad, but still way out of my price range ($0).
really, i think we all get it now

05-19-2009, 09:07 PM   #17
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 1,934
Original Poster
Not in Proportion!

QuoteOriginally posted by snofox Quote
At CAD 1600 - 1700 the K-7 is twice the price of a K20D body. I doubt very much if it will be twice the camera. The K20D just became semi-pro enough for this user.
Every higher ranked or even pro camera is not in proportion for what you will get in addition!

If you are to make decision based on that, you'll never buy an upper ranked camera!

To get the unique features and higher performance of any upper class DSLR, we have to pay for the premium!
05-19-2009, 09:17 PM   #18
Senior Member




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: OC, California
Posts: 148
That's US200 cheaper than Pany GH1, with WR!
05-19-2009, 09:22 PM   #19
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 1,934
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Chocolar Quote
That's US200 cheaper than Pany GH1, with WR!
The GH1 is good for Movie (Full HD, realtime AF and AE, but yet still without power zoom) but not good for still photog with its smaller 4/3 sensor and the lack of an optical finder.

So, I would prefer a K-7 and GH1 has been out from my purchase consideration list since I learnt about K7 last month!

The Video capability is a bonus but it should by no means prevail the importance of still picture taking!

05-19-2009, 09:25 PM   #20
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Fredericton New Brunswick Canada
Photos: Albums
Posts: 332
QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
Every higher ranked or even pro camera is not in proportion for what you will get in addition!

If you are to make decision based on that, you'll never buy an upper ranked camera!

To get the unique features and higher performance of any upper class DSLR, we have to pay for the premium!
Understood. That's what the Lincoln salesman said too.

The K20D is an awesome camera, ranked by some (even dpreview) with the semi-pros. From what I have read, the K7 just doesn't give me enough extra incentive to shell out twice the money. So I am buying a K20D, barring some unanticipated (pleasant) surprises from the Pentax K-7 unveiling.

Last edited by snofox; 05-19-2009 at 09:30 PM.
05-19-2009, 09:38 PM   #21
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: La Crescenta, CA
Posts: 7,452
QuoteOriginally posted by snofox Quote
Understood. That's what the Lincoln salesman said too.

The K20D is an awesome camera, ranked by some (even dpreview) with the semi-pros. From what I have read, the K7 just doesn't give me enough extra incentive to shell out twice the money. So I am buying a K20D, barring some unanticipated (pleasant) surprises from the Pentax K-7 unveiling.
Maybe we can make a deal once the K7 is available.
05-19-2009, 09:46 PM   #22
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 1,934
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by snofox Quote
Understood. That's what the Lincoln salesman said too.

The K20D is an awesome camera, ranked by some (even dpreview) with the semi-pros. From what I have read, the K7 just doesn't give me enough extra incentive to shell out twice the money. So I am buying a K20D, barring some unanticipated (pleasant) surprises from the Pentax K-7 unveiling.
If the K-7 really has better and more reliable AF and AE, better and more reliable weather seal, a smaller metal but lighter body, updated and bonus features like fully functional LiveView and HD Movie, 100% viewfinder and so on.. WHY Not worth the extra money?

Frankly, the K20 is a camera that I would never buy!
05-19-2009, 10:21 PM   #23
Senior Member




Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 213
QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
If the K-7 really has better and more reliable AF and AE, better and more reliable weather seal, a smaller metal but lighter body, updated and bonus features like fully functional LiveView and HD Movie, 100% viewfinder and so on.. WHY Not worth the extra money?

Frankly, the K20 is a camera that I would never buy!
waiting for your tests K-7 vs K20

05-19-2009, 10:24 PM   #24
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Fredericton New Brunswick Canada
Photos: Albums
Posts: 332
QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
If the K-7 really has better and more reliable AF and AE, better and more reliable weather seal, a smaller metal but lighter body, updated and bonus features like fully functional LiveView and HD Movie, 100% viewfinder and so on.. WHY Not worth the extra money?
Frankly, the K20 is a camera that I would never buy!
AF and AE... not a problem for me with my 200D, don't anticipate it being worse on a K20D.

better and more reliable weather seal I don't shoot underwater or in downpours. K200/K20 weather sealing is fine for me.

a smaller metal but lighter body Even with my small hands and weak old limbs the K20D is not a problem here. I like the weight and balance of the camera.

bonus features like fully functional LiveView and HD Movie, Live View is a marginally attractive extra for me. If I want HD movies I will buy a movie cam.

100% viewfinder ATTRACTIVE!

In sum, I am attracted by the AF and AE a little, and a lot by the viewfinder. But not for twice as much as the K20D. Sorry, but it is too pricey for my needs. That is all there is to it.

Frankly, the K20 is a camera that I would never buy I don't understand that at all.

I think we are quits on this issue.

FWIW I am glad that Pentax is unveiling a new camera that excites Pentax users so much. It just doesn't seem to me to be that much of an advancement over the K20D. So, that's what I am going for.

Fin.
05-19-2009, 10:39 PM   #25
Forum Member




Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 75
I am waiting to see how its sensor compares to the K20D. The thing that I care most about is ISO performance. If it is a substancially better performer at ISO 1600 compared to the K20D, then I'll definately intend to purchase one. If not, then I'll be in the market for a K20D.
05-19-2009, 10:44 PM   #26
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 602
QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
If the K-7 really has better and more reliable AF and AE, better and more reliable weather seal, a smaller metal but lighter body, updated and bonus features like fully functional LiveView and HD Movie, 100% viewfinder and so on.. WHY Not worth the extra money?

Frankly, the K20 is a camera that I would never buy!
You are just a gadget person, not a photographer. You completely ignore one most important thing for a camera - image quality.

Unless the IQ of K-7 is proved to be better than that of K20D, I don't think you can say it is worth more than a K20D.
05-19-2009, 10:57 PM   #27
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 1,934
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ddhytz Quote
You are just a gadget person, not a photographer. You completely ignore one most important thing for a camera - image quality.

Unless the IQ of K-7 is proved to be better than that of K20D, I don't think you can say it is worth more than a K20D.
"Gadget person" *can also* be a "photographer"! I can't get your "point" (which has no logic)!

And, a camera is a light-tight box with focusing and exposure control. The sensor is just the film. The K20 is problematic with AF and AE, which the most two basic primitive functions what a *camera* does! Of course, the last Samsung sensor is buggy, too. I hope this has been mostly debugged this time!
05-19-2009, 10:59 PM   #28
Pentaxian
gazonk's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Oslo area, Norway
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,512
QuoteOriginally posted by turbosaturn Quote
I am waiting to see how its sensor compares to the K20D. The thing that I care most about is ISO performance. If it is a substancially better performer at ISO 1600 compared to the K20D, then I'll definately intend to purchase one. If not, then I'll be in the market for a K20D.
I'm equally concerned with low-ISO performance. I hope it can rival my K10d at ISO 100!
05-19-2009, 11:02 PM   #29
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 1,934
Original Poster
Needs..

People who need the extra features and has the demands on more accurate and reliable things and higher performances will pay for the little premium, as I have said.

For those who don't or won't need the "extras", they would be happy to use or get the lower/older models.

QuoteOriginally posted by snofox Quote
AF and AE... not a problem for me with my 200D, don't anticipate it being worse on a K20D.

better and more reliable weather seal I don't shoot underwater or in downpours. K200/K20 weather sealing is fine for me.

a smaller metal but lighter body Even with my small hands and weak old limbs the K20D is not a problem here. I like the weight and balance of the camera.

bonus features like fully functional LiveView and HD Movie, Live View is a marginally attractive extra for me. If I want HD movies I will buy a movie cam.

100% viewfinder ATTRACTIVE!

In sum, I am attracted by the AF and AE a little, and a lot by the viewfinder. But not for twice as much as the K20D. Sorry, but it is too pricey for my needs. That is all there is to it.

Frankly, the K20 is a camera that I would never buy I don't understand that at all.

I think we are quits on this issue.

FWIW I am glad that Pentax is unveiling a new camera that excites Pentax users so much. It just doesn't seem to me to be that much of an advancement over the K20D. So, that's what I am going for.

Fin.
05-19-2009, 11:05 PM   #30
Pentaxian
gazonk's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Oslo area, Norway
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,512
QuoteOriginally posted by ddhytz Quote
Unless the IQ of K-7 is proved to be better than that of K20D, I don't think you can say it is worth more than a K20D.
IQ isn't everything, if it was, we could just as well drag pentax 67s around. As an example, if you're an action, sports or wildlife photographer, the improved fps and af of the K-7 may give you more keepers, and that may quickly pay back the price premium.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
blog, k-7, pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is This Noise to Be Expected? zombieCat Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 11 01-11-2010 07:29 PM
For Sale - Sold: 12 Rolls Arista Legacy Pro 400 (aka Fuji Neopan 400) k100d Sold Items 1 11-22-2009 08:38 PM
Expected K-7 price after release date HEKPOMAH Pentax DSLR Discussion 18 06-27-2009 03:27 AM
How to find original retail price of lens? jsherman999 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 2 09-19-2008 02:24 PM
New DA 300mm F4 in Spetember 07, expected price?? rdrum76 Pentax News and Rumors 9 07-02-2007 04:19 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:37 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top