Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2009, 11:15 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
If the K-7 really has better and more reliable AF and AE, better and more reliable weather seal, a smaller metal but lighter body, updated and bonus features like fully functional LiveView and HD Movie, 100% viewfinder and so on.. WHY Not worth the extra money?

Frankly, the K20 is a camera that I would never buy!
What do you mean...IF? This thread is all about saying how right you are but you still bust out "IF"? You should mean "since...SINCE the K-7..." because you say that you know everything about it. Don't tell me your English isn't good enough to tell the difference

And it doesn't really matter that you wouldn't own a K20D because you don't (and won't) own any Pentax camera.

"Gadget person" *can also* be a "photographer"! I can't get your "point" (which has no logic)!

And, a camera is a light-tight box with focusing and exposure control. The sensor is just the film. The K20 is problematic with AF and AE, which the most two basic primitive functions what a *camera* does! Of course, the last Samsung sensor is buggy, too. I hope this has been mostly debugged this time!
Stop making stuff up as you go.

So what are the most basic functions of a camera...being a light-tight box with exposure controls or having AF and AE? Pretty sure the first cameras were cameras even without AF and AE. Also confident that a cereal box with a hole poked in the front with a hat as a shutter is also a camera. Maybe you have inside info on an automatic pinhole camera?

05-19-2009, 11:21 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Geez.... This the first camera to produce a TRUE HDR photo in-camera from three exposure bracketed shots. I sure hope they put a fast processor in that puppy!

These features sound interesting:

HDR (High Dynamic Range) Mode (One Composite Image from 3 Exposure Bracketed Images), Dynamic Range Expansion, Auto Distortion and CA Corrections, Multiple Exposures, Copyright Credits Attachment, Dedicated RAW Button, 16 Digital Filters

Alex
05-19-2009, 11:31 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AlexM Quote
Geez.... This the first camera to produce a TRUE HDR photo in-camera from three exposure bracketed shots. I sure hope they put a fast processor in that puppy!

These features sound interesting:

HDR (High Dynamic Range) Mode (One Composite Image from 3 Exposure Bracketed Images), Dynamic Range Expansion, Auto Distortion and CA Corrections, Multiple Exposures, Copyright Credits Attachment, Dedicated RAW Button, 16 Digital Filters

Alex
HDR in camera; Yuck. Marketing gimmick.
05-20-2009, 12:05 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
What do you mean...IF? This thread is all about saying how right you are but you still bust out "IF"? You should mean "since...SINCE the K-7..." because you say that you know everything about it. Don't tell me your English isn't good enough to tell the difference
The K-7 distributed around the world is still with V0.2 firmware and it has been completed for every function, nor, it could represent the stable performance of a production camera!

QuoteQuote:
And it doesn't really matter that you wouldn't own a K20D because you don't (and won't) own any Pentax camera.
Guy, don't do it personal! Btw, I have had many Pentax cameras already so your proposition is incorrect:

RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: My 7th Pentax SLR Body?

QuoteQuote:
So what are the most basic functions of a camera...being a light-tight box with exposure controls or having AF and AE? Pretty sure the first cameras were cameras even without AF and AE. Also confident that a cereal box with a hole poked in the front with a hat as a shutter is also a camera. Maybe you have inside info on an automatic pinhole camera?
The problem is the AF and AE of K20D are not even up to the par with other modern *entry* level DSLRs of other brands like C, N, S, O. Don't ask me to use ancient cameras. They do take pictures but they are not modern products. Modern Pentax DSLRs with AF and AE systems that are inferior to their old MZ line bodies in the 90s is just a joke!

05-20-2009, 12:07 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxPoke Quote
HDR in camera; Yuck. Marketing gimmick.
A "marketing gimmick" that is convenient, useful and practical!
05-20-2009, 12:17 AM   #36
Veteran Member

in euro...

after all, who uses the dollar anyways?

okay, a renownded German seller has the K-7 on pre order for "approximately € 1500,00.
IIRC the same seller had the K20D at an initial price of € 1299 (okay with kit)

Same seller sells K20D now for € 749,00

So yes, at the current priceof the K20D the K-7 is twice as much, but I think it is fair to compare with initial prices of K20D.

To be honest, the € 1500 is a guestimate by the seller an my hunc is a conservative one, the K20D price was the official price after announcement.

K20D body prices have been lowerd to get the stock gone so maybe they are now being sold at a loss... They may actually rise the K20D price now to prevent it from interfering with the K-7
05-20-2009, 12:30 AM   #37

QuoteOriginally posted by janneman Quote
after all, who uses the dollar anyways?

okay, a renownded German seller has the K-7 on pre order for "approximately € 1500,00.
IIRC the same seller had the K20D at an initial price of € 1299 (okay with kit)

Same seller sells K20D now for € 749,00

So yes, at the current priceof the K20D the K-7 is twice as much, but I think it is fair to compare with initial prices of K20D.

To be honest, the € 1500 is a guestimate by the seller an my hunc is a conservative one, the K20D price was the official price after announcement.

K20D body prices have been lowerd to get the stock gone so maybe they are now being sold at a loss... They may actually rise the K20D price now to prevent it from interfering with the K-7
don't think that K20D prices changes. Now when economics go down K-7 price should be ~1100 eur, no more!

05-20-2009, 12:33 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Well I paid about Aus$1700 for the K10d and Sigma 17-70 when it was released. At current exchange rate the K7 would be $1800 plus 10%tax. Seems like a good price to me!
05-20-2009, 01:14 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Pentax can do it in two different ways.

The entry level(now K-m/K2000) always for around 400€.
And the middle camera, now K20D, for 7-800€.
And the top camera, now K7 for over 1000€,
first ~1500€, then as times... down to 1000€.
Then a new camera comes, K6? for ~1500€,
and K7 are the middle camera for 7-800€.
And so on...(to develop 2 cameras and sell 3).

This seams to be economic for Pentax in this bad economy.

But Pentax can come with a K70? this year too.
Then we have a entry level for ~400€.
A middle one(K70) for 7-900€, or 900 first and 700 in the end.
And a top camera(K7) for 12-1500€, first 1500€ and in the end 1200€.

In this scenario Pentax most develop 3 cameras ~every year.
The cameras have shorter lifetimes, but are more up to date.

But sell Pentax more or get more money than in the first example?
05-20-2009, 01:22 AM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A "marketing gimmick" that is convenient, useful and practical!
...for some people, but probably not for me. However, the main thing is that the marketing people at Pentax have done enough research to know that it will be valued by potential buyers.
05-20-2009, 05:30 AM   #41
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
SLR Digital Cameras | B&H Photo Video

1199.95 USD for body now...

IT'S COOL....ITS GREAT
05-20-2009, 05:31 AM   #42
Veteran Member

No way! That's cheap!
05-20-2009, 05:47 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Oh nooo pentax is doomed...

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
SLR Digital Cameras | B&H Photo Video

1199.95 USD for body now...

IT'S COOL....ITS GREAT
how can they expect to make a profit?
05-20-2009, 05:52 AM   #44
wll
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by janneman Quote
how can they expect to make a profit?
For you alone, they will charge $1750.00 :-)

wll
05-20-2009, 06:10 AM   #45
Veteran Member

Good people from B&H have it at $1,199.95 on preorder, approximately arriving in July.
It this is initial price in US I think it will become very competitive by the New Year.