Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-20-2009, 06:32 AM   #31
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
Why do I get the impression that the x-sync will replace the AF and AE whinning during the next months?

Seriously... even 1/250s is not enough. Between 1/180 and 1/250 the difference is about 1/2 stop, nothing special. What DSLR makers have to do is to find a way to overcome completely this limit without HSS. Meanwhile there are many ways to workaround this problem.
What about electronic shutter? I guess that nikon D70 has it .. It's solution maybe..

05-20-2009, 07:17 AM   #32

QuoteOriginally posted by kolouch Quote
There are no gorillas here AFAIK But I prefer size of K20D. And days of film cameras? We don't live in past .. It's far away ..
And if you want Pentax to sell more bodies, smaller bodies is the only way to go.

Why? Travellers, Older photographers, and most of all, Female photographers. Period. It's a major reason why Nikon sold so many D40's and Canon 350D's. Not only because they're cheap - the D50 was cheap and they didn't sell nearly as well. They're small, too.

Judging from the many opinions expressed on various forums, people who prefer a larger size is a minority that you unfortunately belong to.

We don't live in the past (whether it's film-camera-past or K20-past), and we should only care about what is practical and what sells - and that's exactly why Pentax is selling small bodies.

I'll place an order right away after selling my bulky K10D.

Last edited by wolfier; 05-20-2009 at 07:56 AM.
05-20-2009, 07:27 AM   #33

QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
Why do I get the impression that the x-sync will replace the AF and AE whinning during the next months?

Seriously... even 1/250s is not enough. Between 1/180 and 1/250 the difference is about 1/2 stop, nothing special. What DSLR makers have to do is to find a way to overcome completely this limit without HSS. Meanwhile there are many ways to workaround this problem.
Correct. 1/250 vs 1/180 is no big deal. Of course, if you need to shoot flash at f/1.4 in broad daylight all the time there can be a problem - but nothing that cannot be overcome with the good-old ND filter.

Another workaround in this case is HDR if the subject can stay stationary - shoot one picture to recover the highlights and then just let the ISO 100 f/1.4 1/180 shot clip the highlights. Combine them in PP.

The only place where it cannot really be overcome is, when you want to shoot high speed action. But in this case you probably don't need a blurred background - which means HSS + smaller aperture + high ISO can do the job.

My preferred solution is a sensor sensibility setting of ISO 25. This is like a built-in ND filter and will open a lot of possibilities.