Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-20-2009, 02:32 AM   #16
RaduA

QuoteOriginally posted by Priyantha Bleeker Quote
Maybe it is a idea to think first about yourself...
It's just like a fan of a sportsman/sportswomen, you can't see the weakness of your idol. That's the same when you are a 'fan' of a brand, a great brand like Pentax is of course.

I do share the idea that Pentax is a great brand, a brand with a rich history. But I am also critical, and there is nothing wrong with being a bit critical and compare features and performances with other brands.

I think you are a bit 'unfriendly' to kolouch, when you are saying that he/she is just 'troll' and nothing more. Of course he/she is also just a user of the equipment produced by the brand Pentax, and he/she has also the right to be critical and compare specifications and performances with other brands. That doesn't mean that he/she is a 'troll'.
Although I have no time to spear I'll try to explain some points to you:

- When one person decides to enter a system and buys camera x and lenses y and z for example he/she either knows the limitations (e.g. X-sync for example) or he/she is kind of stupid. We all were begginers at one point and I fully accept that needs can change in time and that's why there are at least 5 major brands making all kind of cameras. What bothers me is when people like koluch say in almost any posts "Pentax if you don't give me that feature it's bye-bye!". Do it already and put us all out of misery! It's not like Pentax had the X-sync of D50 for example (1/500) and after that made cameras with 1/250 across the range. Koluch bought a camera with 1/180 and if he needs so desperately more and doesn't want to invest in studio equipment and triggers and stuff he can go to Nikon. WHAT IS THE PROBLEM?
- I am no "fan" of neither Pentax or any other company I always try to chose what is best for me. Now in the DAY (yes the very day) when Pentax launches what seems to be a very nice camera is it too much to ask to koluch for example to wait 5 more hours and find out whether or not this *INFO* he has is true BEFORE starting a separate thread?? I guess it is too much after all, especially since he's also specialized in bashing the elusive 1/180 X-sync for some time now. Is he's a troll or not I don't know/care but can I just don't like his style of a ultimate whiner? Thanks!
- You say that Pentax needs to evolve and improve and I feel 110% the same way. But don't you also think that we need first to see the progress they already made with K-7 instead of whining about past weaknesses and "how they cannot make finally a D300 - but K200D size and preferably K-m price".
Now it's back to work for me.

Radu

05-20-2009, 02:37 AM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by RaduA Quote
Although I have no time to spear I'll try to explain some points to you:

- When one person decides to enter a system and buys camera x and lenses y and z for example he/she either knows the limitations (e.g. X-sync for example) or he/she is kind of stupid. We all were begginers at one point and I fully accept that needs can change in time and that's why there are at least 5 major brands making all kind of cameras. What bothers me is when people like koluch say in almost any posts "Pentax if you don't give me that feature it's bye-bye!". Do it already and put us all out of misery! It's not like Pentax had the X-sync of D50 for example (1/500) and after that made cameras with 1/250 across the range. Koluch bought a camera with 1/180 and if he needs so desperately more and doesn't want to invest in studio equipment and triggers and stuff he can go to Nikon. WHAT IS THE PROBLEM?
- I am no "fan" of neither Pentax or any other company I always try to chose what is best for me. Now in the DAY (yes the very day) when Pentax launches what seems to be a very nice camera is it too much to ask to koluch for example to wait 5 more hours and find out whether or not this *INFO* he has is true BEFORE starting a separate thread?? I guess it is too much after all, especially since he's also specialized in bashing the elusive 1/180 X-sync for some time now. Is he's a troll or not I don't know/care but can I just don't like his style of a ultimate whiner? Thanks!
- You say that Pentax needs to evolve and improve and I feel 110% the same way. But don't you also think that we need first to see the progress they already made with K-7 instead of whining about past weaknesses and "how they cannot make finally a D300 - but K200D size and preferably K-m price".
Now it's back to work for me.

Radu
Radu thanks for the explanation
That's what I like.

I do agree with you that we just have to wait for the final specifications and Previews and after that the first real Reviews(from dpr and dcr and others) to get a real good image. And of course first-hand experience.
05-20-2009, 04:04 AM   #18
Forum Member

Original Poster
Let me explain.

I started with K10D .. in that time I didn't know that my photos will earn me money. So I wanna from my brand more without switching to C or N. Are all pentaxians blind? Seems like many pentaxians means that pentax is the best camera in the world. But it isn't. It's very good brand, but we are not living in past .. Competition is big.
05-20-2009, 04:08 AM   #19
Veteran Member

I feel that the K-7 is very competetive.
In terms of technical specificions, it is on pair with the best of the competition with 1/8000 shutter an 5.2 fps continous shooting (and no, not only LiveView with mirror lock up), then it has several novelties that helps the photographer. Assist for straight horisons, distorsion and CA correction, enhanced image tweaking settings, even more configurable high ISO NR setting (NR ISO starting point can now be selected) and extended program lines. But they key feature is the small size for a 100% viewfinder semi pro / pro magnesium body that is also weather sealed and has the best movie modes for today's DSLR's. And it comes with weather sealed kit lenses.

Quite impressive in my book.

05-20-2009, 04:22 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I don't understand the focus on high x sync speed. Most studio photographers these days use radio triggers. You can get cheap chinese made ones for next to nothing on flea-bay. I think that Pentax has to focus on improvements that will benefit the majority of photographers, not the small number who need high x sync speed but aren't willing to buy some additional equipment.
05-20-2009, 04:29 AM   #21
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I don't understand the focus on high x sync speed. Most studio photographers these days use radio triggers. You can get cheap chinese made ones for next to nothing on flea-bay. I think that Pentax has to focus on improvements that will benefit the majority of photographers, not the small number who need high x sync speed but aren't willing to buy some additional equipment.
But that cheap chinese radio triggers works directly with x-sync. How do you wanna with pentax shoot 1/250 wit 3 studio lights away from body? If you have solution write it!
05-20-2009, 04:35 AM   #22
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RMabo Quote
I feel that the K-7 is very competetive.
In terms of technical specificions, it is on pair with the best of the competition with 1/8000 shutter an 5.2 fps continous shooting (and no, not only LiveView with mirror lock up), then it has several novelties that helps the photographer. Assist for straight horisons, distorsion and CA correction, enhanced image tweaking settings, even more configurable high ISO NR setting (NR ISO starting point can now be selected) and extended program lines. But they key feature is the small size for a 100% viewfinder semi pro / pro magnesium body that is also weather sealed and has the best movie modes for today's DSLR's. And it comes with weather sealed kit lenses.

Quite impressive in my book.
Yes it is .. it will be the best DSLR from pentax. But pentax doesn't listening much people who shoots fashion. Or pentax will be only for landscape & macro photographers?

And what about solution for people like me, who wants bigger body? K10/20D is perfect size. New way of pentax is small bodies? If yes, I am running out.

I don't wanna say, that pentax is bad system, but I've other requirements which pentax is not giving me. I know there are few others like me.

05-20-2009, 04:40 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Why wouldn't the Pentax work for fashion? Ben uses a K20D for fashion photography, so what is the problem then? The new K-7 has faster and improved autofocus in low light and more reliable white balance, and the new 100% viewfinder is of course very nice for all types of fashion shots indoors, and it has 1/8000 high speed flash sync.

When Pentax made the K10D and K20D, many were complaining about them being too big. Many felt that Pentax lost customers because of too big size for the K10D and K20D. Small bodies isn't new for Pentax, it is old. Pentax used to make the most compact SLR's in the world - starting with the ME-serie. The MZ-serie in the mid 90's were the worlds smallest autofocus SLR's of their time.

If one feels the K-7 is too small, then one can attach an extra grip that enlarges the body. No problem.
05-20-2009, 04:47 AM   #24
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RMabo Quote
Why wouldn't the Pentax work for fashion? Ben uses a K20D for fashion photography, so what is the problem then? The new K-7 has faster and improved autofocus in low light and more reliable white balance, and the new 100% viewfinder is of course very nice for all types of fashion shots indoors, and it has 1/8000 high speed flash sync.

When Pentax made the K10D and K20D, many were complaining about them being too big. Many felt that Pentax lost customers because of too big size for the K10D and K20D. Small bodies isn't new for Pentax, it is old. Pentax used to make the most compact SLR's in the world - starting with the ME-serie. The MZ-serie in the mid 90's were the worlds smallest autofocus SLR's of their time.

If one feels the K-7 is too small, then one can attach an extra grip that enlarges the body. No problem.
I feel K-7 small with attached grip .. sry .. but k10d/20d with grip is min size I'll probably accept. But I can't say yet .. I've no K-7 in my hands.

1/8000 HSS is nice, but only if I use another HSS system flash. And power of HSS is small. Today's solution is shorter x-sync. When you wanna shoot moving objects (like sport etc.) with external lights (wchich could be 20 meteres away) you have to use radio trigger and when something is moving, it's better 1/250 then 1/180

Pentax cameras are very very good, but here is gap .. gap which can discourage many newcomers or people which already shoot with pentax...
05-20-2009, 04:59 AM   #25
Forum Member

Original Poster
RMabo: I'll stay with pentax, I'll probably buy new K-7, and I'll hope that pentax will introduce PRO APS-C camera with 1/250 or maybe 1/500? :-) And with slightly bigger body?

Everything on new K-7 is cool, if it's AF speed & accuracy is really improved.

I am missing some kind of cropped RAW . maybe 6-8Mpix .. I guess that's not hard to implement?
05-20-2009, 05:24 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kolouch Quote
I feel K-7 small with attached grip .. sry .. but k10d/20d with grip is min size I'll probably accept.
I didn't realise that Eastern Europe had Gorillas!
How did you get by in the days of film cameras when most were smaller than today's digitals?
Personally I want the smallest camera body they can give me. The size of the camera body determines how much I carry the SLR camera with me rather than carrying my compact or nothing.

Today's solution is shorter x-sync. When you wanna shoot moving objects (like sport etc.) with external lights (wchich could be 20 meteres away) you have to use radio trigger and when something is moving, it's better 1/250 then 1/180
The difference between 1/250 and 1/180 is not much. A shorter exposure time also means less natural light on the subject which means you also have to lower the flash power to keep the lighting balanced. A better solution might be to lengthen the exposure and use trailing flash sync with powerful flash units (gives lots of light in a shorter burst). Sure you will get a bit of blurred action but it can add to the image.

There are times when I would like a faster flash sync but only so I can get rid of distracting backgrounds.
05-20-2009, 05:30 AM   #27
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Matthew Quote
I didn't realise that Eastern Europe had Gorillas!
How did you get by in the days of film cameras when most were smaller than today's digitals?
Personally I want the smallest camera body they can give me. The size of the camera body determines how much I carry the SLR camera with me rather than carrying my compact or nothing.

The difference between 1/250 and 1/180 is not much. A shorter exposure time also means less natural light on the subject which means you also have to lower the flash power to keep the lighting balanced. A better solution might be to lengthen the exposure and use trailing flash sync with powerful flash units (gives lots of light in a shorter burst). Sure you will get a bit of blurred action but it can add to the image.

There are times when I would like a faster flash sync but only so I can get rid of distracting backgrounds.
There are no gorillas here AFAIK But I prefer size of K20D. And days of film cameras? We don't live in past .. It's far away ..

1/180 is usable, but for some people (like me) is 1/250 better .. that's all. (Entry level DSLRs from C & N got it, so why not pentax in semi-pro?)

On other side, I tried cheap radio triggers with k10d & k20d and it was not usable. There was a black strip at 1/160 & 1/180. Only 1/125 and longer was ok. I tried 3 different K10D and one K20D. Problem remains. I tried same trigger on C 40D, 450D, N D300 ant there was no problem .. it works at 1/250 perfectly ....
05-20-2009, 05:33 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I love pentax, but i need to see some future and stability, when i pay for lenses & bodies. I'll be wery happy if pentax will have better sales.
And herein lies the problem - no brand loyalty.

Not sure what you mean by "future and stability"?
On the eve of the big announcement of a new body and WR lenses. What more do you need?

Only your own self doubt will cause you to switch brands, leaving the loyal users of the brand to invest into the future and stability of Pentax.
05-20-2009, 05:49 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
1/180 is usable, but for some people (like me) is 1/250 better .. that's all.
Why do I get the impression that the x-sync will replace the AF and AE whinning during the next months?

Seriously... even 1/250s is not enough. Between 1/180 and 1/250 the difference is about 1/2 stop, nothing special. What DSLR makers have to do is to find a way to overcome completely this limit without HSS. Meanwhile there are many ways to workaround this problem.
05-20-2009, 06:29 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
Why do I get the impression that the x-sync will replace the AF and AE whinning during the next months?
Because Pentax apparently addressed AF and AE in the K7 so that leaves X-Sync and P-TTL as the last things to bitch about. Or we will create new things to bitch about:

"Seriously Pentax! P-TTL is absolutley useless when I'm trying to take underwater fashion shots! Don't get me started on X-Sync speeds when I'm trying to add fill light while completely submerged! If you don't fix this I will leave the system! Is it too much to ask for the camera I bought to do all the things that other photographers have to buy extra equipment to accomplish? I mean REALLY?"