Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-20-2009, 06:54 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Actually, it's 1/3 stop. And 1/180s to 1/250s is 1/2 stop. But, for the most part yes it's not worth complaining about. The effective duration of most flashes/strobes is in the range of 1/1000s to 1/4000s meaning that except for some fill flash situations the sync speed could be 1/90s and most photographs wouldn't suffer at all.

05-20-2009, 06:56 AM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by Venturi Quote
Actually, it's 1/3 stop. And 1/180s to 1/250s is 1/2 stop. But, for the most part yes it's not worth complaining about. The effective duration of most flashes/strobes is in the range of 1/1000s to 1/4000s meaning that except for some fill flash situations the sync speed could be 1/90s and most photographs wouldn't suffer at all.
If you're trying to do skiphotog, then you really need faster x-sync/sync faster than x-sync if you're shooting in bright day.
05-20-2009, 07:25 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mike Johnston, from The Online Photographer states that the K7 has a quiet shutter...so Kudos Pentax!

I look forward to using the K7 alongside My Leica M7 rangefinder - I think that sounds like a good pairing...
05-20-2009, 07:49 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CreV Quote
If you're trying to do skiphotog, then you really need faster x-sync/sync faster than x-sync if you're shooting in bright day.
That would be one of those fill flash situations I am speaking of.

But hey, you can't do fast action or sports with Pentax anyway - haven't you heard?

05-20-2009, 08:22 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Quiet shutter > 1/2 stop of sync speed

Pentax finallllllly did it...that's always been my biggest gripe with the K10. Can't wait till I can afford a K-7
05-20-2009, 12:13 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Just tell me if pentax k-7 allow syncing flashes above x-sync; cheating x-sync

If I can sync above 1/180 I'm happy, I don't care if the shutterblade will cover half of the sensor at 1/400, just so I can place the subject in the "open" area.
Both the AF360 and AF540 support Hi-Speed sync, up to the shortest shutter speed. My EF-530 has it.
05-20-2009, 12:21 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Who's ready for a RH rant about how a half-stop of sync speed will be the death of Pentax?

05-20-2009, 12:34 PM   #23
Veteran Member

RH: I really don't think it's the shutter power itself that you need to increase.

Like was said previously about electronic shutter compared to the mechanical shutter - the mechanical shutter could be open for any length of time, the trick is to have the sensor record data for only the specified shutter length. 1/500 let's say.

So the mechanical shutter still could fire at 1/180s, thus ensuring the curtain is fully open when the light is recorded. But also then you must have the sync circuitry within such tight tolerances as to be able to actually fire the flashes accordingly at the proper time, not only for the onboard or hot-shoe mounted flash, but also for corded or wireless flashes as well.

I honestly don't know why Pentax can't (or won't) improve this, 1/250 is so much nicer when using flash in daylight, you have more control over the ambient light vs. flash this way.
05-20-2009, 12:45 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
Who's ready for a RH rant about how a half-stop of sync speed will be the death of Pentax?
Sure, why not. It would be at least as relevant as the rants invalidating the photographers who genuinely need that extra half stop and more?

R.H. is attempting to shine a light on one of the potential reasons I have to live with this frustrating limitation. It's not a rant, a bash, or a put-down; It's just a discussion I would kind of like to have without unnecessary sniping taking it off course to a personal battle of childish wit for a change - Thank you.
05-20-2009, 12:59 PM   #25
Veteran Member

I wonder... As I understand it, electronically shutting off the CMOS sensor (electronic shutter) is not an option, but what about turning it on electronically. It sounds like the limitation with the mechanical shutter is the inability to open the first curtain all the way faster than 1/180.

Would it be possible to open the first curtain all the way, turn on the sensor, then snap the second shutter closed? I think we could hit some pretty impressive synch numbers if possible.

There is a way... It must be found.
05-20-2009, 01:04 PM   #26
Veteran Member

You haven't followed this forum for that long, have you?

RH doesn't "shine the light" on anything but blows things out of proportion casting even the smallest issue as the reason not to buy a Pentax. Calling the K20D inferior, for instance, because it's AF is not the fastest? That's who you choose to listen to? One person against everyone else who is happy or at least satisfied with their K20?

Read the title of the thread again: "Possible." He won't commit to saying "There is a major constraint..." because there isn't one. How did people get along with 1/60...hell...1/25? Now we're just nitpicking.

There are cameras out there with 1/250s sync speeds. They are not secret or hidden or available only by invitation. People who come to THE Pentax Forum to complain about Pentax products get no sympathy from me. Deal with your equipment, or find something that works better. RH has the 5D as his Holy Grail...all else is inferior. Bow down to the 5D.

Edit: As I understand it, my Yashica RF can sync at any and all shutter speeds up to 1/500s. Why haven't we gotten a stepless, electronic shutter in an SLR? Well...the mirror would have to be done away with, first...eventually that will happen...
05-20-2009, 01:20 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Just tell me if pentax k-7 allow syncing flashes above x-sync; cheating x-sync

If I can sync above 1/180 I'm happy, I don't care if the shutterblade will cover half of the sensor at 1/400, just so I can place the subject in the "open" area.
Ditto that! The way David Ziser uses Canon's ability to cheat the synch speed is pretty cool. Because the curtain is moving faster than the T.1 flash duration it doesn't actually leave a hard black line; it's more like the effect of a strong gradient filter.
05-20-2009, 01:22 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Side note

QuoteOriginally posted by Venturi Quote
That would be one of those fill flash situations I am speaking of.

But hey, you can't do fast action or sports with Pentax anyway - haven't you heard?
Since I have been pondering this a bit... how about neutral density filters... seems people always forget those
A few other things.. CMOS is more difficult to do electronic shutter. Nikon CCD DSLR (and others) do do electronic shuttering.
Yes the shutter needs to be faster w/ great breaking power to get faster mechanical sych higher than 1/250th.
There are shutters that fast but it seems we hit a cost/performance wall here.
05-20-2009, 01:37 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
You haven't followed this forum for that long, have you?

RH doesn't "shine the light" on anything but blows things out of proportion casting even the smallest issue as the reason not to buy a Pentax. Calling the K20D inferior, for instance, because it's AF is not the fastest? That's who you choose to listen to? One person against everyone else who is happy or at least satisfied with their K20?

Read the title of the thread again: "Possible." He won't commit to saying "There is a major constraint..." because there isn't one. How did people get along with 1/60...hell...1/25? Now we're just nitpicking.

There are cameras out there with 1/250s sync speeds. They are not secret or hidden or available only by invitation. People who come to THE Pentax Forum to complain about Pentax products get no sympathy from me. Deal with your equipment, or find something that works better. RH has the 5D as his Holy Grail...all else is inferior. Bow down to the 5D.

Edit: As I understand it, my Yashica RF can sync at any and all shutter speeds up to 1/500s. Why haven't we gotten a stepless, electronic shutter in an SLR? Well...the mirror would have to be done away with, first...eventually that will happen...
Well, I thought I would ask...

I'm well aware of the history with Rice High. I simply find it easier to correspond with people who bash equipment rather than individuals. You seem to feel that anyone freely "insulting" their camera the same way you freely insult people should find another home... Think about it.
05-20-2009, 01:39 PM   #30
Veteran Member

RiceHigh

Let's give the guy a chance. If it turns out that some minor quibble with the K-7 gets blown up into a dealbreaker, you can all come back and tell me "I told you so". For now, I think he's going to love the camera.