Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-21-2009, 12:23 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tonyjayice Quote
Isn't Sigma on its way to make an affordable line of somewhat Weather Resistant lenses?.. as I heard their new Dslr will have some sort of sealing and resistance..
that's my two pennies and thought.. so maybe we'll get "Cheapish" Sigma lenses sealed up and ready for some Pentax hammering..
Wow, where'd you hear that rumor? I'm brand-agnostic, so I'm okay with Sigma lenses as long as they perform nicely. A sealed 17-70/2.8-4.5 would be tempting for me, depending on how much Sigma would want for it.

In any case, yes, the K200D would've sold more had Pentax intro'd these new WR lenses at the same time, but no use crying over lost opportunities. What's more important is that sealed kit lenses are here, and any new sealed entry-level camera from Pentax can benefit from those.

Also, the rest of us who don't have DA* lenses yet can benefit from them, too, so it'll help sell a couple more units for Pentax.

05-21-2009, 12:33 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hopefully Pentax will revamp the entire DA lens lineup and introduce new WR versions... now that would be something.
05-21-2009, 12:58 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Hopefully Pentax will revamp the entire DA lens lineup and introduce new WR versions... now that would be something.
Except for the people who already have DA lenses....
05-21-2009, 05:04 AM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Pentax have stated the DA Limiteds are too small to weather seal. I don't actually understand that, since a prime really only needs one gasket AFAIK. It is much more work to weather seal a zoom.

05-21-2009, 05:57 AM   #35
Veteran Member

One thing seems fairly obvious. There will probably be a production shortage on these lenses.
05-21-2009, 06:12 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
I agree. WR 17-70 please. And WR 55-300.

QuoteOriginally posted by HawaiianOnline Quote
Except for the people who already have DA lenses....
Well, your lenses didn't suddenly become unusable. Enjoy what you have and trade up for WR later on if you still feel you need to. I'm actually a bit envious that you already have a lens line-up. I only have a Tammy 17-50 and an M 75-150/4.

QuoteOriginally posted by GoldenWreckedAngle Quote
One thing seems fairly obvious. There will probably be a production shortage on these lenses.
The runs for the 18-55 looks to be decent, unless there's suddenly a whole rush of people wanting that lens. It seems as though people are more interested to save up for a K-7 than they would for these new WR lenses, so 14,000/month seems okay for me. I dunno about the 5,000/month of the 50-200, though.

If there are many switchers or people going dual-system, though, it could screw availability.

Maybe Pentax can make the WR lenses immediately available so as not to have logistical problems when the K-7 starts shipping? At least those who won't buy a K-7 but want those WR lenses can get their fill already. I know factories for lenses and bodies are totally different, but I suspect that a lot of K-7s will be offered as a kit with those WR lenses to attract non-Pentax users, so there might be less WR lenses to go around for those not buying the K-7, and there's already a gap between K-7 production and WR lens production.
05-21-2009, 06:35 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I almost bought the 50-200 a few months ago for a carry-around combination with the kit lens.
Decided the 200 wasn't long enough, but was always a fan of the size/weight, especially for candids, which I like shooting.
The WR version might push me to get it when Autumn/Winter comes around.

05-21-2009, 06:46 AM   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kei Quote
A sub $1000 WR kit is unthinkable in all other brands and Pentax should really cash in on that.
my guess is that this is the direction Pentax is going.
I think that we'll see a K300D (or K-300 maybe???) with similar styling to the K-7 and WR by christmas, then possibly a sealed K-m replacement next year (once again, styled like the K-7).

WR kit lenses makes me think that Pentax may be aiming for a totally sealed dSLR line-up in the near future, which would be a massive marketing win and far more profitable than, say, releasing a full frame body.
05-21-2009, 08:21 AM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vinzer Quote
The runs for the 18-55 looks to be decent, unless there's suddenly a whole rush of people wanting that lens. ...

I know factories for lenses and bodies are totally different, but I suspect that a lot of K-7s will be offered as a kit with those WR lenses ... and there's already a gap between K-7 production and WR lens production.
They are making 20,000 K-7's per month, 14,000 18-55's, and 5,000 50-200's. That is a 7,000 and 15,000 unit difference. I would say kits are going to consume the vast majority of WR lenses hitting the market for the foreseeable future. That's understandable since people so rarely buy a kit lens without a kit body but the WR thing may change that formula. We'll see... If they seal the other popular choices on the trade up lens map it will probably bring balance back to the universe pretty quickly.
05-21-2009, 09:44 AM   #40
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
They are making 20,000 K-7's per month, 14,000 18-55's, and 5,000 50-200's. That is a 7,000 and 15,000 unit difference. I would say kits are going to consume the vast majority of WR lenses hitting the market for the foreseeable future. That's understandable since people so rarely buy a kit lens without a kit body but the WR thing may change that formula. We'll see... If they seal the other popular choices on the trade up lens map it will probably bring balance back to the universe pretty quickly.
Pentax Imaging (Pentax USA) is taking pre-orders for the body only. Apparently BH will only get the bodies initially as well.

Pentax | K-7 SLR Digital Camera | B&H Photo Video

That will probably help keep parity with the new lenses.
05-21-2009, 05:35 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote
WR kit lenses makes me think that Pentax may be aiming for a totally sealed dSLR line-up in the near future, which would be a massive marketing win and far more profitable than, say, releasing a full frame body.
I really haven't seen hard data on how many people would buy a DSLR based on its weather-resistance, but I agree that Pentax has found a nice niche and could probably hold off on making FF DSLRs for now. Of course, weather-sealing is no substitute for the advantages/disadvantages FF brings, though small isn't what I see when I think about FF (bodies can me made smaller, but I have doubts about lenses), and small is most likely where Pentax is heading with their DSLRs in the short term.

If they seal the other popular choices on the trade up lens map it will probably bring balance back to the universe pretty quickly.
That is the wish for existing K10/20/200D owners who have moved past kit lenses already though not quite prepared to spend a whole lot more for DA*s. I hope they make it so.

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Pentax Imaging (Pentax USA) is taking pre-orders for the body only. Apparently BH will only get the bodies initially as well.

Pentax | K-7 SLR Digital Camera | B&H Photo Video

That will probably help keep parity with the new lenses.
Agreed, but I guess it wouldn't stop retailers from offering both the body and kit lens as a bundle.