Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-20-2009, 07:34 AM   #1
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 346
Any news on the 30mm lens?

I was hoping Pentax would release a new lens roadmap along with the K7. In particular, I'm curious about the 30mm lens. Any news?

05-20-2009, 09:09 AM   #2
Veteran Member
mattdm's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Boston, MA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,964
Not yet. The roadmap will probably be updated shortly to show the WR lenses, and we'll see if there's anything more on it. I'm with you in hoping the DA★ 30mm is back.
05-22-2009, 07:25 AM   #3
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 346
Original Poster
Well, the K7 announcement has come and gone and still no news about the DA* 30mm. I'm beginning to think it is vaporware at this point.
05-22-2009, 08:12 AM   #4
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Trinidad and Tobago
Posts: 421
QuoteOriginally posted by switters Quote
I was hoping Pentax would release a new lens roadmap along with the K7. In particular, I'm curious about the 30mm lens. Any news?
its a pitty that Pentax did not do like Nikon when they released their D90 with an 18-105 lens. my attencion was caught when i saw the MTF results of that lens.
sometimes i wonder about Pentax marketing division, they release a fantastic body ( K7 ) and release it with 2 medicor lenses, that photozone reviews wer'nt so good

Dave

05-22-2009, 08:27 AM   #5
Pentaxian
Cambo's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Vancouver, BC
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 839
I for one would like to see...

something in the 135 range at long last.

Cheers,
Cameron
05-22-2009, 08:32 AM   #6
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Trinidad and Tobago
Posts: 421
QuoteOriginally posted by Cambo Quote
something in the 135 range at long last.

Cheers,
Cameron
my dream come thru
Pentax K7 with a 16-135 2.8 lens with the same IQ as the 50-135

Dave
05-22-2009, 08:37 AM   #7
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Netherlands
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 908
QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
Not yet. The roadmap will probably be updated shortly to show the WR lenses,
IO doubt it, in the past the release of new bodies did not automatically mean a new lens roadmap.

When the K20D became available it was shortly but I think that was mainly due to the fact that the lens roadmap was due in march anyways... Lenasroadmaps seem to be stuck to march and september (or october, forgot which one).


QuoteOriginally posted by dafiryde Quote
its a pitty that Pentax did not do like Nikon when they released their D90 with an 18-105 lens. my attencion was caught when i saw the MTF results of that lens.
sometimes i wonder about Pentax marketing division, they release a fantastic body ( K7 ) and release it with 2 medicor lenses, that photozone reviews wer'nt so good

Dave
They still have the 17-70 on some websites....

QuoteOriginally posted by switters Quote
Well, the K7 announcement has come and gone and still no news about the DA* 30mm. I'm beginning to think it is vaporware at this point.
There were no serious hints at this new lens appearing soon. There were a few "wouldn't it be nice if???" posts and they turned into rumors
05-22-2009, 08:43 AM   #8
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 346
Original Poster
OK. That's really too bad. It seems to me that a fast, 30mm lens that doesn't cost $800 (like the 31/1.8) would be a home run for Pentax.

Nikon just released their new 35/1.8 for $200. It's supposed to be pretty good optically, and that's a price I can get behind!

05-22-2009, 08:57 AM   #9
Pentaxian
thibs's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Belgium
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,206
QuoteOriginally posted by dafiryde Quote
[...] release it with 2 medicor lenses, that photozone reviews wer'nt so good
Dave
You actually tried both did you?
05-22-2009, 09:17 AM   #10
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Trinidad and Tobago
Posts: 421
QuoteOriginally posted by switters Quote
OK. That's really too bad. It seems to me that a fast, 30mm lens that doesn't cost $800 (like the 31/1.8) would be a home run for Pentax.

Nikon just released their new 35/1.8 for $200. It's supposed to be pretty good optically, and that's a price I can get behind!
exactly my point
pentax is releasing the K7 at $1300
nikon D90 with 18-105 $1100 and throw in their new 35/1.8 at $200 =$1300


QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
You actually tried both did you?
i had both these lenses when i initally bought the K10 and i very much doubt putting in a few o'rings is gonna improve their IQ and if you look at photozone on these two lenses their are medioca

Dave
05-22-2009, 09:37 AM   #11
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 346
Original Poster
I'm with you, Dafiryde.

The K7 is going to stretch my budget as it is. It sure would be nice if Pentax made a fast and affordable 50mm equivalent lens. The 35/2.8 macro isn't fast enough, and it's not cheap either.

I don't know why Canon, Pentax etc. continue to ignore such an obvious niche. Primes are clearly becoming popular, but so far only Nikon has managed to produce a fast, cheap, high quality 50mm equivalent. And that's only very recently.

What's the deal?
05-22-2009, 09:48 AM   #12
New Member




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Norway
Posts: 19
They probably have a significant amount of the 31/1.8 stored that they need to sell out first. Releasing a new fast 30mm would cannibalize the sale of that lens at thus lead to a significant loss.

To sum it up: They can't afford to release a new fast 30mm now.
05-22-2009, 09:57 AM   #13
Forum Member




Join Date: May 2008
Location: Seattle
Posts: 52
QuoteOriginally posted by Bankebrett Quote
They probably have a significant amount of the 31/1.8 stored that they need to sell out first. Releasing a new fast 30mm would cannibalize the sale of that lens at thus lead to a significant loss.

To sum it up: They can't afford to release a new fast 30mm now.
This sounds reasonable. But man, 31mm is SO EXPENSIVE. :S
05-22-2009, 10:20 AM   #14
Veteran Member
Buddha Jones's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Charlotte, NC
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,591
QuoteOriginally posted by dafiryde Quote
exactly my point
pentax is releasing the K7 at $1300
nikon D90 with 18-105 $1100 and throw in their new 35/1.8 at $200 =$1300

Dave
Are you seriously comparing the K-7 to the D90.... seriously....
05-22-2009, 10:23 AM   #15
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Trinidad and Tobago
Posts: 421
QuoteOriginally posted by switters Quote
I'm with you, Dafiryde.

The K7 is going to stretch my budget as it is. It sure would be nice if Pentax made a fast and affordable 50mm equivalent lens. The 35/2.8 macro isn't fast enough, and it's not cheap either.

I don't know why Canon, Pentax etc. continue to ignore such an obvious niche. Primes are clearly becoming popular, but so far only Nikon has managed to produce a fast, cheap, high quality 50mm equivalent. And that's only very recently.

What's the deal?
well said and again, this is the point that bothers me the most
Pentax marketing division SUCKS
sometimes they have a day care centre in that division
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
30mm, lens, pentax news, pentax rumors
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
30mm lens for portrait quantum Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 43 06-09-2011 01:33 PM
My new lens...Sigma 30mm F1.4 synnyster Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 12 02-03-2010 01:45 PM
Flamewar/News not involving Pentax/Completely Unbased Speculation/Not News Forum nixcamic Site Suggestions and Help 8 12-18-2008 05:56 AM
Sigma lens - 30mm f/1.4 ebooks4pentax Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 1 08-21-2007 07:02 PM
Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC lens Clem Nichols Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 0 04-14-2007 08:45 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:42 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top