Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-20-2009, 10:35 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by yipchunyu Quote
but k20d also take hdr photos (in jpeg) with the filter too.
k7 does 3 exposures and combines them is my understanding, the "hdr" filter in the k20d isn't a true HDR image.

05-20-2009, 10:56 AM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by Andrews Quote
AF speed ?
I'd like to know too!
05-20-2009, 11:09 AM   #18
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote

I would also like (but don't expect) an opinion. What is a better bang for the buck, a K20D or a K7?
Since it will reportedly cost almost twice what a K20d can be found for today, the new features would have to be very important. I would expect K20 prices to dive even more.
05-20-2009, 11:18 AM   #19
Inactive Account

This isn't a K7 HDR question, but can you comment on the sensor noise?

I just got a K20D and I love everything EXCEPT the noise. It is as bad as I suspected. Noise Ninja is able to remove most of it and preserve details ~ like a Canon (or more) but I hate having to post-process all of my low-light images.

Again, please tell us if there is any improvement in the noise department, at ISO >=400.

Thanks!
-slrl0ver

05-20-2009, 11:24 AM   #20
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by thomascdk Quote
I'd like to know if the shadow in the second example slide show is intentional?
Good find.
05-20-2009, 11:37 AM   #21

Hey Jack, thanks for stopping by! Here are my major questions (some may be repeats...)

A. Does the K-7 do the same bracketing as the k10d and k20d? In other words a maximum of 5 brackets at 2eV steps?? (+4,+2,0,-2,-4)

B. What's the output file of the 'hdr mode'?? Raw? Jpg?

C. Can you set the video mode in FULL MANUAL?? In other words lock the ISO, lock the shutter rate 1/30", 1/48", 1/50", etc. and lock the aperture.

D. Could you post some raw sample video files for download? 720p highest quality with lots of camera and subject motion!!

E. What's the high iso quality can you post some samples? 800, 1600, 3200
05-20-2009, 11:47 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TechTock Quote
It's still running pre-pro firmware, and I cannot post images larger than 640x480, but otherwise, I'll see what I can do
QuoteOriginally posted by milapse Quote
D. Could you post some raw sample video files for download? 720p highest quality with lots of camera and subject motion!!

E. What's the high iso quality can you post some samples? 800, 1600, 3200
Now that I reread it, I think you can find your "post some samples" answers directly in the OP. No camera company lets pre-production firmware images out for inspection unless they are *really, really* confident that they are the best available. I can understand that and respect Jack's position.
05-20-2009, 11:49 AM   #23
Veteran Member

A. Does the K-7 do the same bracketing as the k10d and k20d? In other words a maximum of 5 brackets at 2eV steps?? (+4,+2,0,-2,-4)
I'm a bit puzzled by that mention in the K7 specs as well. The K20D can do 5 bracketed shots in .5 -> 2ev steps already...

I'd like to know if it can AF while in movie mode (something the Canon 5DmkII folks were griping about IIRC)...

05-20-2009, 12:43 PM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
I'd like to know if it can AF while in movie mode (something the Canon 5DmkII folks were griping about IIRC)...
Yes it can (contrast AF) as well as shake reduction in movie mode...
05-20-2009, 04:19 PM   #25
jeffkpotter

Thank you so much Jack. In camera HDR will nodoubt evolve from the K-7 on. It's not technically
HDR right? It's tone-mapped LDR, but it's a wonderful option to have. We really appreciate you linking us to your article!
05-20-2009, 06:45 PM   #26

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkpotter Quote
Thank you so much Jack. In camera HDR will nodoubt evolve from the K-7 on. It's not technically
HDR right? It's tone-mapped LDR, but it's a wonderful option to have. We really appreciate you linking us to your article!
Yes, it is a LDR tonemapped output image in JPEG format...

There's heaps of questions here--I'll try to answer them all in the next day or so

AEB is still 5 shots for +/-2 at .3 EV spacing for max spread of -4,-2,0,+2+4 around the selected center exposure...
05-20-2009, 10:46 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks a lot Jack, most interesting. The K10 / K20 had advanced multiple bracketing functions, but this K7 sounds even better.
Thanks for your work, I'm eager to give it a try.

For others, here is THE thread on Multi exposure on K10/K20 :
K10d Multi-exposure mode [Page 1]: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Edit :
Maybe we should try to keep this thread centered around the special ability of HDR, compared to the "multi-exposure with ev comp" from the K20. Many of the other new features are already covered in several hands-on reviews.

QuoteOriginally posted by Andrews Quote
AF speed ?
OK1000 Pentax Blog: Pentax K-7: Hands-On Preview

QuoteOriginally posted by pasipasi Quote
I'm interested in the shutter sound, has it changed?
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/60848-my-first-impress...tml#post604642

QuoteOriginally posted by Maffer Quote
Thank you Jack! I was afraid that the traditional bracketing was removed to make room for the HDR-mode but thankfully it isn't so
I thought about that as well, since we had a bottom missing from the K10/k20, going now to the K7. Like stated in this K7 controller discussion :

"Our mystical friend the 4-way-controller is shown once again with the weird “hexagon that doesn’t quite fit into its box” symbol. Jury is still out on that one. What’s more is that the OK button now shows arrows instead of them being on the buttons themselves. The point of this little diagram is still unknown."'
http://fotoramblings.wordpress.com/2009/05/15/im-ready-for-my-closeup-pentax...ay-controller/

QuoteOriginally posted by kristoffon Quote
So you had your time to play with the camera and of the miriad of useful impressions of how the camera handles and its useful image quality you wasted your time in the most useless of fads which does nothing but destroy actual good looking images - tone mapping.
When overdone, it can look bad. But I’ve also seen good work from it, here is one example :
http://www.andymcinroy.com/5porttech.htm

Jack

Ive been sitting on the K20D fence for quite some time, wanting better high ISO resolution, and also perhaps some better functionality than my K10D with manual lenses.

The questions are:
- is the K7 which is advertised as a new sensor, better than the K20 in terms of noise?

- what do the JPEGs look like, compared to K10D and K20D, similar, better, worse
These will be answered in the regular upcoming reviews. (Not meant to discourage you, though)

- motor drive is reported at 5 FPS, what is maximum shutter and flash sync speed. has this changed also?
1/8000 and 1/180

I would also like (but don't expect) an opinion. What is a better bang for the buck, a K20D or a K7?
The K20 is probably gonna hit a very favorable price, before it is phased out

Hey Jack, thanks for stopping by! Here are my major questions (some may be repeats...)

From what I read in hands-on reviews, it goes way further than the EV steps in the K20

B. What's the output file of the 'hdr mode'?? Raw? Jpg?
From the review, it says Jpeg

Mark Dimo will probably follow shortly on this. (But not till allowed by official word)

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
I'm a bit puzzled by that mention in the K7 specs as well. The K20D can do 5 bracketed shots in .5 -> 2ev steps already...

IR just updated their review, with special attention to video :
Pentax K-7 Digital Camera - Hands-On Preview - The Imaging Resource!

Last edited by Jonson PL; 05-20-2009 at 11:36 PM.
05-21-2009, 05:16 AM   #28
Veteran Member

I'd love to see some video footage? What are the restrictions on your postings? or can you do what you want?
05-21-2009, 06:52 AM   #29

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dopeytree Quote
I'd love to see some video footage? What are the restrictions on your postings? or can you do what you want?

No video, no still images larger that 640x480 on the pre-val units
05-21-2009, 07:02 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TechTock Quote
No video, no still images larger that 640x480 on the pre-val units
So can you post some high iso photos even if they're only 640x480 and hint about the quality in the pre-production cameras?