Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-20-2009, 08:06 AM   #1

Pentax K-7 and HDR

Hey Folks! Jack Howard of TechTock Blog at Adorama here.

I was lucky enough to get a few hours lead time with the Pentax K-7, and here's my take on the in-camera HDR capabilities of this great new Pentax SLR!

This is a game-changer. I've still got an actual unit in my hands for the next few days, so if you have any "hands-on" questions about HDR or the K-7 in general--fire away! It's still running pre-pro firmware, and I cannot post images larger than 640x480, but otherwise, I'll see what I can do

Jack Howard
My latest book!

05-20-2009, 08:12 AM   #2

AF speed ?
05-20-2009, 08:18 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm interested in the shutter sound, has it changed?
05-20-2009, 08:22 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Hey Jack, I was a fan of yours on Pop and didn't know where you ended up. Anyway, what about the high ISO shots how do they look compared to the K20 or K10. I know not HDR question but I can't seem to find in the see of stuff any pictures from the camera. Thanks

05-20-2009, 08:33 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Thank you Jack! I was afraid that the traditional bracketing was removed to make room for the HDR-mode but thankfully it isn't so Looking for a place to order the damn thing now

Oh, and a question: How does the K-7 budge now when shooting a scene with sun in the frame? Does the HDR-mode or tweaked hightlights survive it or do the hightlights include brutal banding like K20D seems to do on the edge of full saturation?
05-20-2009, 08:34 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Way cool - AF speed - Live view usefullness - AF accuracy - busrt mode on SDHC class 6 card and oh so many more haha.
05-20-2009, 08:38 AM   #7
Veteran Member

So you had your time to play with the camera and of the miriad of useful impressions of how the camera handles and its useful image quality you wasted your time in the most useless of fads which does nothing but destroy actual good looking images - tone mapping.

05-20-2009, 08:43 AM   #8

i don't understand. what's the difference between k20d and k7 regarding the hdr?
05-20-2009, 08:49 AM   #9
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by yipchunyu Quote
i don't understand. what's the difference between k20d and k7 regarding the hdr?
K-7 does tonemapping in-camera with it's HDR-mode. So you don't have to mess with tools like photomatix etc.

@kristoffon: Have you ever tried playing with gradual ND-filters in -20C temperatures? Add windchill into that and it becomes -50 quickly. My only cokin ND went the way of fresbee when I tried to do that. There are many many ways to use tonemapping. You can for example just salvage some of the blown hightlights of the normal exposure and do nothing else (still retaining rich and constrasty shadows) Good looking normal exposure with slightly blown highlights looks only good on film. My 2 cents.
05-20-2009, 08:49 AM   #10
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yipchunyu Quote
They are showing that the K7 will actually do it IN the camera... not taking multibracketed photos and then running them through a program...
05-20-2009, 08:50 AM   #11
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pasipasi Quote
I'm interested in the shutter sound, has it changed?
I would actually like to know about this as well... if there is one thing that I enjoy.. but.. don't enjoy.. it would be how loud this thing cracks...
05-20-2009, 08:57 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by Kcjacoby Quote
They are showing that the K7 will actually do it IN the camera... not taking multibracketed photos and then running them through a program...
but k20d also take hdr photos (in jpeg) with the filter too.
05-20-2009, 09:05 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
HDR Woot!

QuoteOriginally posted by TechTock Quote
Hey Folks! Jack Howard of TechTock Blog at Adorama here.

I was lucky enough to get a few hours lead time with the Pentax K-7, and here's my take on the in-camera HDR capabilities of this great new Pentax SLR!
Hi Jack,

Good to see you're still helping us to make the most of HDR from our cameras! Your article on TechTock is a very good and pretty comprehensive rundown of this new feature. Almost exactly the questions I was going to ask this weekend when I try out the K-7!

The visual examples are great, and the horse's head is a fantastic side-by-side. If you have a K20D, can you compare this "new" HDR method to the older "multi-exposure with ev comp" or would you say there is no comparison? 100% crops of high-contrast areas would also be nice!

Also, from looking at the example images and what you write about "no halos," do you think Pentax has put a version of Image Fusion (Enfuse, Photomatix H&S Average) into this camera?

Thanks,

-Mark (also from the radiance_list/ hdrsoft_list/ hdrlabs/ etc. worlds)
05-20-2009, 09:07 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Jack

Ive been sitting on the K20D fence for quite some time, wanting better high ISO resolution, and also perhaps some better functionality than my K10D with manual lenses.

The questions are:

- is the K7 which is advertised as a new sensor, better than the K20 in terms of noise?

- what do the JPEGs look like, compared to K10D and K20D, similar, better, worse

- does exposure compensation work in manual metering mode like K20D (but unlike K10D)

- is there TTL flash capability (for non A lenses) or the ability to input max/min apature and let the body control the K moutn lenses.

- how is metering with fast manual apature lenses? (i.e. 50mm F1.4)

- motor drive is reported at 5 FPS, what is maximum shutter and flash sync speed. has this changed also?

I would also like (but don't expect) an opinion. What is a better bang for the buck, a K20D or a K7?
05-20-2009, 09:21 AM   #15

I'd like to know if the shadow in the second example slide show is intentional?