Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-21-2009, 10:53 AM   #46
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
@opiedog: Thanks for the youtube link. The shutter sound is at 3:18-3:20 in the video. I had to put on the headphones and turn them up high to hear it. I am impressed. This will be a benefit for nature photogs.

Jack

Only one question remains for me before I pull the credit card trigger: did they allow you to switch off the automatic Dark Frame Subtraction with long exposures?

here's a better sample. found this from the 'other' forum. it's in spanish but the guy holds down the shutter longer.

sounds sweet!
Cámaras digitales y fotografía, televisores y cine en casa, audio portátil y MP3, videocámaras digitales, PDA: QUESABESDE.COM... .../camaras/pentax-k-7-videos,4324.html#346

05-21-2009, 01:12 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It's quite the mild and unobtrusive sound, no doubt.

Having to push the button and move the mode dial seems a bit clumsy through.

QuoteOriginally posted by opiedog Quote
here's a better sample. found this from the 'other' forum. it's in spanish but the guy holds down the shutter longer.

sounds sweet!
Cámaras digitales y fotografía, televisores y cine en casa, audio portátil y MP3, videocámaras digitales, PDA: QUESABESDE.COM... .../camaras/pentax-k-7-videos,4324.html#346
05-21-2009, 05:53 PM   #48
Site Supporter

Hell, the push-before-changing was a standard on the LX...which is an awesome camera in every way. People will stumble with this for a while and then it will become 2nd nature.

Jack
05-21-2009, 06:00 PM   #49
Veteran Member

True, my film MZ-3 and PZ1-P had the same style of push-change dial.

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
Hell, the push-before-changing was a standard on the LX...which is an awesome camera in every way. People will stumble with this for a while and then it will become 2nd nature.

Jack

05-21-2009, 06:28 PM   #50
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by kent Quote
what impression about iso performance?
Not much out yet, but this is the most specific reference to high ISO performance that I've read thus far:

demystifyingdigital.com - Pentax K-7 Digital SLR | Pentax DSLR
QuoteQuote:
Though I shot hundreds of images and dozens of video clips with the K-7, since this was a pre-production, aka "beta," version of the camera, Pentax is only allowing us to display the images here at low resolution. Also, we were not permitted to display shots captured at over ISO 1600 (the camera can shoot between ISO 100-6400), nor were we allowed post video shot with the K-7.
EDIT:
Oops, this was the passage I actually wanted to quote:
QuoteQuote:
For instance, though Pentax was adamant about DemysityfingDigital.com not posting any images from the K-7 shot at above ISO 1600, I was very pleased with the low noise levels in most of my shots. Much of this, likely, has to do with the new image sensor in the K-7 and the pumped-up camera processor.

Last edited by watchthewaves; 05-21-2009 at 06:53 PM.
05-21-2009, 06:37 PM   #51

QuoteOriginally posted by watchthewaves Quote
Not much out yet, but this is the most specific reference to high ISO performance that I've read thus far:

demystifyingdigital.com - Pentax K-7 Digital SLR | Pentax DSLR
Here's an even more specific one:
OK1000 Pentax Blog: Pentax K-7: Hands-On Preview

He says:
While the engineering sample we looked at wasn't a final shipping model, it was obvious that at ISO 1600 there was much less visible noise than on the K20D.
05-22-2009, 04:22 AM   #52
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by HermanLee Quote
Thank you, Miserere.
The K-7 sound more like a mini machine gun with silencer
Definitely great improvement over K20D. Similar like D300.
I was most pleasantly surprised by the K-7's much quieter shutter / mirror slap sound when I tried the engineering sample. This could be near the top of my reasons to get a K-7, although I'd love to be surprised by the AF performance of a production version. With firmware 0.20 I really couldn't properly evaluate AF, metering and image quality.

Peter
05-22-2009, 07:09 AM   #53
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Fang Quote
I was most pleasantly surprised by the K-7's much quieter shutter / mirror slap sound when I tried the engineering sample. This could be near the top of my reasons to get a K-7, although I'd love to be surprised by the AF performance of a production version. With firmware 0.20 I really couldn't properly evaluate AF, metering and image quality.

Peter
peter,

what were your initial impressions of the AF though evenwith 0.2 firmware?

i think quite a few folks are concerned that it's still SAFOX VIII.

IMHO, the pentax engineers should know better. if the SAFOX VIII hardware just can't cut it, they wouldn't have put it in the K-7, so they obviously think the same hardware would be sufficient.

marketing wise though, it would have 'sounded' better if they had said "A new AF module", but in reality, it's how it performs that counts.

my k2000's AF is great, but i'd like to see some improvements in the AF-C department and low light. Mark Dimo has mentioned that the AF-C is vastly improved. that's one +.

regards,

jordan