Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-20-2009, 09:59 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for the writeup, Mark, and being "out there" for the brand.

I'm reluctantly warming as the day progresses and actual specs are out for the K-7 and the "heresy" of a video capable DSLR (I feel so dirty). While perusing pentaximaging I took a look at the D-BG4 page...

QuoteQuote:
The D-BG4 Battery Grip extends shooting times by providing additional power via a second lithium-ion battery or AA batteries. The battery grip includes a tray for either battery option. It also features a vertical release button, depth-of-field preview switch, front and rear e-dials, and buttons for exposure lock and autofocus, as well as a green button and ISO button. The D-BG4 is weather-sealed to protect the battery.
Is it true? Am I reading this right?? Did they really listen to those of us that whined incessantly about the lack of an AF button on the D-BG2 grip???

I know it's crazy when you look at all the other specs and features the camera is offering but this really and truly made me sit up straight in my chair.

05-20-2009, 10:02 AM   #17

Hey Mark. It would be great if we could meet up in person. Let me know if you are going to be on the island.

Great to hear that the shutter is back on track. it is not just the sound on the K10D (and others) that I didn't like, but the vibration it produced on the body (technically, I know that sound and vibration are one and the same).

Hope to see you soon
05-20-2009, 10:07 AM   #18
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Hannican Quote
hmm... I like the loud shutter slap of the K10D. It feels like a real camera...

The "pish" sound of cheap C*nons sounds pathetic to me... I can't remember what N*kons sound like, but I hope Pentax doesn't start emulating this.
I've scared many a bird away from the mirror slap and focusing of a lens. I can imagine taking a photo with this thing (K10D that I have) of a pro golfer or tennis player when close to them and they're in their back-swing ; dirty looks would abound if not worse... tho, I'm only imagining that; the bird scares are real.

I don't care how the 'impression' makes me feel. Quiter is better, period. I can't think of one situation where a loud shutter is better.
05-20-2009, 10:13 AM   #19
m8o
Veteran Member

Thanx very much for your write-up Mark and link to it. A question. What was your keeper rate and did you feel it was higher than your other Pentax cameras, and that the technology of the camera aided in that?

05-20-2009, 10:20 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Venturi Quote

I'm reluctantly warming as the day progresses and actual specs are out for the K-7 and the "heresy" of a video capable DSLR (I feel so dirty). While perusing pentaximaging I took a look at the D-BG4 page...

Is it true? Am I reading this right?? Did they really listen to those of us that whined incessantly about the lack of an AF button on the D-BG2 grip???

I know it's crazy when you look at all the other specs and features the camera is offering but this really and truly made me sit up straight in my chair.
It just gets better as the day goes by! Man...they really did everything we wanted them to!

(But I don't see a beer or coffee button )
05-20-2009, 10:26 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Mark,

Having read some of the rumors, etc. but mostly stayed away from it all. I bet you having first hand knowledge was very tough and not saying a peep about it!!! Kudos for that.

The nice part is that I can now move forward with Pentax for my wildlife and nature photography, plus engage in more indoor event work without using a flash. The spec'd AF & FPS improvements are extremely welcome from my perspective. Legendary optics with a top-tier camera is a winning combination.

If what I see on paper is realized when shooting in the field, this camera is what I've been wanting to see released! A big thank you to Pentax for the above plus all of the other features! They have my vote, for whatever that is worth. I am ready to buy...

Regards,
Marc
05-20-2009, 10:48 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Hannican Quote
hmm... I like the loud shutter slap of the K10D. It feels like a real camera...

The "pish" sound of cheap C*nons sounds pathetic to me... I can't remember what N*kons sound like, but I hope Pentax doesn't start emulating this.
I understand your need for an evocative shutter response - when I want that I haul out the K2DMD

05-20-2009, 10:59 AM   #23
Zav
Pentaxian

Thanks for sharing Mark!
05-20-2009, 11:07 AM   #24

Thanks for that Mark. For all of you who want to hear the camera, I posted a link to a spanish video where you can hear the shutter sound and speed:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/57107-pic-k30d-255.html#post604304

Cheers.
05-20-2009, 12:18 PM   #25

Nice blog post doc.mark.dimo. Will you be sharing a more in-depth blog post with us later?

My first impressions of the Pentax K-7? It seems like it's all I could ever hope for in a Pentax DSLR at this level. I will be thrilled if I manage to get one at some point! Nice job Pentax!
05-20-2009, 12:23 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by doc.mark.dimo Quote
you know you are right, the K7 is like the *ist D in shutter sound, but what I would like to add is that the Shutter assembly of the new K7 just shouts quality and precision. It was truly the first thing I noticed, and when it hums at 5.2+ FPS its like a symphony to my ears.
mark
Thank you for your blog info, Mark.

Is it possible to put a video or maybe just audio for us to listen to the shutter sound in single shot and continuous High speed?
That will be cool!

Thanks again.
05-20-2009, 12:42 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Darren M Quote
My K10D was really no better, though with the chunkier body it does absorb the knock better, and of course it added SR. The K20D was better, but still not as good at the *istD. The end result is that I know I am losing sharpness in dim light because of the poor shutter/mirror assembly.
I think you're spoiled or had a different sort of example of a K20d: this is about the softest release I've ever had: then again I like shooting in urban night with a fast short tele, and I'm used to big old Canon FD's. Still, (far less often since the very nice SR firmware upgrade) I'd often turn the SR *off* and be getting far better percentages than I did on film, and I'm really good when my hands are good. I'd hardly call it a 'poor assembly.'

The K20d's shutter itself isn't particularly *quiet,* by digital standards, no, but that actually doesn't bother me, and I certainly don't think it's introducing undue shake. (I actually kind of like the sound, has kind of an interesting scissor-snick sound that I find interesting, sounds plenty authoritative and the sound doesn't actually seem to carry any too much. Though again, I'm not a big shutter-quietness person: my usual habits with people don't really involve stealth: I'm kind of interactive that way: actually working with the winder sounds far more often than trying to hide them. Anyway, I'm sure you'll like the 'quieter' aspect, anyway. )

As mirror slap goes, I was pretty convinced I was looking at the mirror+condenser+prism thing we saw in the patents, though Pentax's own site doesn't seem to show it being there: that kind of looked like it had a squarish mirror that wouldn't have to travel as far, (don't know how they'd manage the optics there,) but if they worked some of that tech in, it'd probably make for both a quieter and potentially-faster release. Kind of curious, there.
05-20-2009, 12:59 PM   #28
Inactive Account

hi mark,

can you post sample shots of high ISO (indoor / outdoor) of the K-7?

thanks
05-20-2009, 01:04 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Venturi Quote

Hee. I actually do think Pentax tries to listen: I've said it before, but where they got my *curiosity* back when I was starting to look at adding some digital to what I do, and the K10d was new, was by putting in the PC flash connection: that just showed some respect for photographers in an age of engineers telling you 'You don't need that for less than three grand, buy the big adapter.' Not *why* I went with the K20d over, say a D70, but it got my attention.

Doesn't surprise me, the AF button on the grip. though.

As for video, as long as it didn't raise the price of the camera, it's like, 'Well, that's nice.' Selfishly, I'd rather they put the effort and expense into a really big finder of some kind and some really impressive high-ISO capabilities, but it doesn't actively *bother* me.
05-20-2009, 01:15 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Thanks for the review, Mark. I appreciate hearing the opinions of somebody who know's what he's doing.

For those that want to hear the shutter sound, check out this video (that Peter Zack point me to). It's in Spanish, but at one point he shoots a few frames with the K-7, and then with the K20D. There is a huge difference between the two.

I like the K-7 better