Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-20-2009, 08:31 AM   #1
Forum Member

My first impressions of the Pentax K7

I waited until the official embargo lifting of 7am PST for us here in California. It was difficult to read through rumor threads and bite my tongue. I'm surprised for all the leaks that came through last night. Hmmmmm...

anyhow, here is a link to some of my thoughts about the new K7

chasing light...... .../05/initial-impressions-of-pentax-k7.html

happy shooting!

05-20-2009, 08:32 AM   #2
and
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Record and post a sound clip of the shutter sound please
05-20-2009, 08:36 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
i'll try this afternoon, while at airport

QuoteOriginally posted by and Quote
Record and post a sound clip of the shutter sound please
it is really succinct, precise and near silent. it was the first thing i noticed that left a huge impression.
05-20-2009, 08:39 AM   #4

Just wondering, did any Pentaxians recognize the camera when you were field testing it?

05-20-2009, 08:41 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

hmm... I like the loud shutter slap of the K10D. It feels like a real camera...

The "pish" sound of cheap C*nons sounds pathetic to me... I can't remember what N*kons sound like, but I hope Pentax doesn't start emulating this.
05-20-2009, 08:41 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
I had it in stealth mode

QuoteOriginally posted by Erasmo Quote
Just wondering, did any Pentaxians recognize the camera when you were field testing it?
I used gaffer tape to black out all the details
05-20-2009, 08:50 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Thanks for the blog entry, Mark! I for one am sooo happy with a silent shutter. That is my biggest issue with the K10 (high ISO noise comes in #2).

I'll be keeping my eye out for more of your impressions I've also linked to your blog in mine since I don't feel like typing all the specs out

05-20-2009, 08:55 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by Hannican Quote
hmm... I like the loud shutter slap of the K10D. It feels like a real camera...

The "pish" sound of cheap C*nons sounds pathetic to me... I can't remember what N*kons sound like, but I hope Pentax doesn't start emulating this.
By all means, I do hope that Pentax makes more moves in the right direction. I started with the *ist-D, which had a pretty good shutter assembly; fairly quiet and smooth. As a back up, I added an *istDS, which had an awful shutter/mirror assembly and I can tell you that it made at least a stop difference in what I could handhold. My K10D was really no better, though with the chunkier body it does absorb the knock better, and of course it added SR. The K20D was better, but still not as good at the *istD. The end result is that I know I am losing sharpness in dim light because of the poor shutter/mirror assembly. Very honestly, at wide angles (where I tend to shoot), the addition of SR only makes for wash as compared to a camera with no SR, but a good shutter. I have loved my K10D, but hated the shutter and would have really loved it had the shutter been even as good as my five or six year old *istD. I am glad to hear that Pentax is moving in the right direction, because they had it totally wrong on a lot of their cameras.

If Pentax can bring their shutter/mirror assembly quality up to even the level of a mid level Canon or Nikon, I will be so happy. If they don't, I will still likely end up with a K-7, but I will have lingering disappointment.
05-20-2009, 09:15 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
hi darren!!!

QuoteOriginally posted by Darren M Quote
By all means, I do hope that Pentax makes more moves in the right direction. I started with the *ist-D, which had a pretty good shutter assembly; fairly quiet and smooth. As a back up, I added an *istDS, which had an awful shutter/mirror assembly and I can tell you that it made at least a stop difference in what I could handhold. My K10D was really no better, though with the chunkier body it does absorb the knock better, and of course it added SR. The K20D was better, but still not as good at the *istD. The end result is that I know I am losing sharpness in dim light because of the poor shutter/mirror assembly. Very honestly, at wide angles (where I tend to shoot), the addition of SR only makes for wash as compared to a camera with no SR, but a good shutter. I have loved my K10D, but hated the shutter and would have really loved it had the shutter been even as good as my five or six year old *istD. I am glad to hear that Pentax is moving in the right direction, because they had it totally wrong on a lot of their cameras.

If Pentax can bring their shutter/mirror assembly quality up to even the level of a mid level Canon or Nikon, I will be so happy. If they don't, I will still likely end up with a K-7, but I will have lingering disappointment.

long time no chat, since the old DP Review days of the original *istD crew.

you know you are right, the K7 is like the *ist D in shutter sound, but what I would like to add is that the Shutter assembly of the new K7 just shouts quality and precision. It was truly the first thing I noticed, and when it hums at 5.2+ FPS its like a symphony to my ears.

glad to catch up with you here. ill be in southeast asia several times over the next few months, i'd love to catch up in person!

mark
05-20-2009, 09:17 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Thanks for the writeup Mark

Diego
05-20-2009, 09:19 AM   #11

Can you give us more detail about AF performance please? (compared to other cameras like Canon 40D/50D)
05-20-2009, 09:20 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Nice Photos

I've never looked at your blog before, but I have to say, nice photos. You have a good eye and I'm assuming a cute son.
05-20-2009, 09:27 AM   #13
and
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by doc.mark.dimo Quote
long time no chat, since the old DP Review days of the original *istD crew.

you know you are right, the K7 is like the *ist D in shutter sound, but what I would like to add is that the Shutter assembly of the new K7 just shouts quality and precision. It was truly the first thing I noticed, and when it hums at 5.2+ FPS its like a symphony to my ears.

glad to catch up with you here. ill be in southeast asia several times over the next few months, i'd love to catch up in person!

mark
u guys should post here more now ya hear
There is a street shooting thread that would be perfect for mr melrose for example
05-20-2009, 09:30 AM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
hi andreas!

QuoteOriginally posted by and Quote
u guys should post here more now ya hear
There is a street shooting thread that would be perfect for mr melrose for example

hi andreas!

i sure will do my best to post and update more in the future. after the arrival of my first born, I made a conscious effort to watch every step of her first year of life. now that she is 15 months, I am back in the swing of things and going on my first major photo assignment of the year!

cheers!
05-20-2009, 09:50 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Mark, I understand you'll be passing through Singapore. If you can give some details of your itinerary, some Pentax users here would be more than happy to have a brief meet-up with you. Cheers.