Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-20-2009, 08:31 AM   #1
Forum Member
doc.mark.dimo's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 62
My first impressions of the Pentax K7

I waited until the official embargo lifting of 7am PST for us here in California. It was difficult to read through rumor threads and bite my tongue. I'm surprised for all the leaks that came through last night. Hmmmmm...

anyhow, here is a link to some of my thoughts about the new K7

chasing light...... .../05/initial-impressions-of-pentax-k7.html

happy shooting!

05-20-2009, 08:32 AM   #2
and
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,471
Record and post a sound clip of the shutter sound please
05-20-2009, 08:36 AM   #3
Forum Member
doc.mark.dimo's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 62
Original Poster
i'll try this afternoon, while at airport

QuoteOriginally posted by and Quote
Record and post a sound clip of the shutter sound please
it is really succinct, precise and near silent. it was the first thing i noticed that left a huge impression.
05-20-2009, 08:39 AM   #4
Senior Member




Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 197
Just wondering, did any Pentaxians recognize the camera when you were field testing it?

05-20-2009, 08:41 AM   #5
Veteran Member
Hannican's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Irvine, CA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 476
hmm... I like the loud shutter slap of the K10D. It feels like a real camera...

The "pish" sound of cheap C*nons sounds pathetic to me... I can't remember what N*kons sound like, but I hope Pentax doesn't start emulating this.
05-20-2009, 08:41 AM   #6
Forum Member
doc.mark.dimo's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 62
Original Poster
I had it in stealth mode

QuoteOriginally posted by Erasmo Quote
Just wondering, did any Pentaxians recognize the camera when you were field testing it?
I used gaffer tape to black out all the details
05-20-2009, 08:50 AM   #7
Pentaxian
ryan s's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Madison, WI
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,370
Thanks for the blog entry, Mark! I for one am sooo happy with a silent shutter. That is my biggest issue with the K10 (high ISO noise comes in #2).

I'll be keeping my eye out for more of your impressions I've also linked to your blog in mine since I don't feel like typing all the specs out
05-20-2009, 08:55 AM   #8
Senior Member
Darren M's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Taipei, Taiwan
Posts: 130
QuoteOriginally posted by Hannican Quote
hmm... I like the loud shutter slap of the K10D. It feels like a real camera...

The "pish" sound of cheap C*nons sounds pathetic to me... I can't remember what N*kons sound like, but I hope Pentax doesn't start emulating this.
By all means, I do hope that Pentax makes more moves in the right direction. I started with the *ist-D, which had a pretty good shutter assembly; fairly quiet and smooth. As a back up, I added an *istDS, which had an awful shutter/mirror assembly and I can tell you that it made at least a stop difference in what I could handhold. My K10D was really no better, though with the chunkier body it does absorb the knock better, and of course it added SR. The K20D was better, but still not as good at the *istD. The end result is that I know I am losing sharpness in dim light because of the poor shutter/mirror assembly. Very honestly, at wide angles (where I tend to shoot), the addition of SR only makes for wash as compared to a camera with no SR, but a good shutter. I have loved my K10D, but hated the shutter and would have really loved it had the shutter been even as good as my five or six year old *istD. I am glad to hear that Pentax is moving in the right direction, because they had it totally wrong on a lot of their cameras.

If Pentax can bring their shutter/mirror assembly quality up to even the level of a mid level Canon or Nikon, I will be so happy. If they don't, I will still likely end up with a K-7, but I will have lingering disappointment.

05-20-2009, 09:15 AM   #9
Forum Member
doc.mark.dimo's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 62
Original Poster
hi darren!!!

QuoteOriginally posted by Darren M Quote
By all means, I do hope that Pentax makes more moves in the right direction. I started with the *ist-D, which had a pretty good shutter assembly; fairly quiet and smooth. As a back up, I added an *istDS, which had an awful shutter/mirror assembly and I can tell you that it made at least a stop difference in what I could handhold. My K10D was really no better, though with the chunkier body it does absorb the knock better, and of course it added SR. The K20D was better, but still not as good at the *istD. The end result is that I know I am losing sharpness in dim light because of the poor shutter/mirror assembly. Very honestly, at wide angles (where I tend to shoot), the addition of SR only makes for wash as compared to a camera with no SR, but a good shutter. I have loved my K10D, but hated the shutter and would have really loved it had the shutter been even as good as my five or six year old *istD. I am glad to hear that Pentax is moving in the right direction, because they had it totally wrong on a lot of their cameras.

If Pentax can bring their shutter/mirror assembly quality up to even the level of a mid level Canon or Nikon, I will be so happy. If they don't, I will still likely end up with a K-7, but I will have lingering disappointment.

long time no chat, since the old DP Review days of the original *istD crew.

you know you are right, the K7 is like the *ist D in shutter sound, but what I would like to add is that the Shutter assembly of the new K7 just shouts quality and precision. It was truly the first thing I noticed, and when it hums at 5.2+ FPS its like a symphony to my ears.

glad to catch up with you here. ill be in southeast asia several times over the next few months, i'd love to catch up in person!

mark
05-20-2009, 09:17 AM   #10
Veteran Member
soccerjoe5's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Philippines
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,354
Thanks for the writeup Mark

Diego
05-20-2009, 09:19 AM   #11
New Member




Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 5
Can you give us more detail about AF performance please? (compared to other cameras like Canon 40D/50D)
05-20-2009, 09:20 AM   #12
Veteran Member
omega leader's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Niagara Region, Ontario Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 417
Nice Photos

I've never looked at your blog before, but I have to say, nice photos. You have a good eye and I'm assuming a cute son.
05-20-2009, 09:27 AM   #13
and
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,471
QuoteOriginally posted by doc.mark.dimo Quote
long time no chat, since the old DP Review days of the original *istD crew.

you know you are right, the K7 is like the *ist D in shutter sound, but what I would like to add is that the Shutter assembly of the new K7 just shouts quality and precision. It was truly the first thing I noticed, and when it hums at 5.2+ FPS its like a symphony to my ears.

glad to catch up with you here. ill be in southeast asia several times over the next few months, i'd love to catch up in person!

mark
u guys should post here more now ya hear
There is a street shooting thread that would be perfect for mr melrose for example
05-20-2009, 09:30 AM   #14
Forum Member
doc.mark.dimo's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 62
Original Poster
hi andreas!

QuoteOriginally posted by and Quote
u guys should post here more now ya hear
There is a street shooting thread that would be perfect for mr melrose for example

hi andreas!

i sure will do my best to post and update more in the future. after the arrival of my first born, I made a conscious effort to watch every step of her first year of life. now that she is 15 months, I am back in the swing of things and going on my first major photo assignment of the year!

cheers!
05-20-2009, 09:50 AM   #15
Veteran Member
creampuff's Avatar

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Singapore
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,955
Mark, I understand you'll be passing through Singapore. If you can give some details of your itinerary, some Pentax users here would be more than happy to have a brief meet-up with you. Cheers.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
k7, pentax news, pentax rumors
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pentax K-r first impressions jackassp Pentax K-r 3 10-19-2010 06:50 AM
Review(-ish): Pentax DA* 300mm first impressions tophorus Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 3 06-06-2009 03:59 AM
Pentax DA 55-300/ 18-55 DA II Impressions Rush2112 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 6 01-01-2009 03:45 PM
Anandtech.com's Pentax K20D First impressions RaduA Pentax News and Rumors 16 03-12-2008 06:23 AM
DA* 16-50 First Impressions sft Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 46 11-07-2007 03:43 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:41 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top