Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-28-2009, 06:13 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
it's good. a lot of K10D/K20D wanted such dimension of K-7 with grip.
Well, there's no satisfying *all* users, but I see your point. I have no major problem with the size though. I like the size of the K20D plus grip allright, but wouldn't mind a smaller package for practical reasons of space allocation in my camera bag, weight in carry-on luggage in small aircraft etc... Part of my enthousiasm for the K-7 is related to that aspect.

E.g. my favourite bag is a Pentax branded Lowepro Slingshot 100. My K20D plus grip and O-ME53 VF loupe fits only just with all my limiteds, but sometimes the contents gets thrown around in it when the camera is around my neck and quickly putting the camera into the bag becomes an impossible effort, esp since I need to rearrange the contents before I can put the camera in. A slightly smaller K-7 plus grip would have helped. But I manage now, so I'll continue to manage with the K-7!

Wim

05-28-2009, 06:58 AM   #47

just check the web
写真で見るペンタックス「K-7」 - デジカメWatch
D-BG4 + K7 doesn't look good. the grip just look so canon type.
05-28-2009, 07:05 AM   #48
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Tastes differ.
05-28-2009, 07:30 AM   #49
Inactive Account

IMHO the K-7 + grip looks worse than K20D/K10D + grip. Like someone said ... the K-7 + grip looks very canon-like ... like someone attached a brick to the K-7. But it all comes down to how it feels like. I got used to the K10D + grip after a while even though at first it felt very strange because of the shallow lip on the grip ... there was very little material to hold on to and since I have long thin fingers it didn't offer enough room for them. But I got used to it and now I'm wondering how the new grip will feel like.

05-28-2009, 08:46 AM   #50

QuoteOriginally posted by kolouch Quote
Still blind? Open your eyes man .. I wrote only "why it is plastic, why not magnesium as body", is it bad to ask?
No, it's certainly not bad to ask.

The grips have metal frames, only plastic casings.

Under normal circumstances, a magnesium grip vs a plastic grip will have the same quality in daily uses - the amount of circuitry is so much smaller in the grip than the body, so a plastic grip can totally handle the required rigidity.

Looking at your post history, you dropped your K10 together with the grip (https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/45623-does-anyone-...tery-grip.html), and the grip broke. I guess it has something to do with this question.

In this case, let me tell you if you drop it, it won't matter whether it's built with tofu or with diamond - if a camera is dropped, it is going to break and it's not Pentax's fault, period - I don't expect $1300 cameras or grips to be drop-proof especially when the $7000 Canon 1D series manuals ask you not to drop the cameras.

1/180 is deal breaker for some peple . there is a bigger thread about x-sync.
I think he's simply asking why you're still so concerned with K-7's grip's shell's material, if the camera itself already has a deal-breaker and you're for sure not going to buy it.

I gave money to pentax, so I'll write what I want
Not true. You don't get to write what you want here, just like you don't get to write what you want on DPreview. This forum is not owned by Pentax, so the fact that you can post here is not a consequence of you having given money to Pentax.

In fact, your ability to post here is a privilege, not a right:

QuoteQuote:
VI. Moderation
In an attempt to keep the Forum as friendly as possible, the Forum staff will delete, close, or edit any threads that violate the Forum Rules. Additionally, users, including "trolls," that act disrespectfully in their posts or otherwise cause trouble will be banned or warned as needed.
People are looking at you as a troll because you seem to start arguments unnecessarily with a somewhat confrontational attitude in your posts and replies that give people impressions that you did not spend any time to think before posting.

Don't be mistaken, these impressions can possibly be wrong - but you're the only person capable of providing some evidence for people to change these impressions.

Last edited by wolfier; 05-28-2009 at 08:58 AM.
05-28-2009, 12:22 PM   #51
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Stop

STOP
This thread is about the battery grip ONLY not griping about other features like x-sync or trolling etc.
Lets get back on track. Some of us want details on the grip only
Thank you to all who have posted constructive info like the photo of the grip w/ inserts
05-28-2009, 12:26 PM   #52
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Looks like they made the tab to open bigger! Nice +
http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/img/dcw/docs/170/340/pentax4_06_s.jpg
Also Interesting to see how they made it wider.
DC.watch has great photos compairing it to the K20D with Grip! thanks yipchunyu for posting that link
Again here: 写真で見るペンタックス「K-7」 - デジカメWatch

05-28-2009, 08:31 PM   #53
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BrendanPK Quote
Looks like they made the tab to open bigger! Nice +
http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/img/dcw/docs/170/340/pentax4_06_s.jpg
Also Interesting to see how they made it wider.
DC.watch has great photos compairing it to the K20D with Grip! thanks yipchunyu for posting that link
Again here: Žハ�^‚ナŒゥ‚ƒyƒ“ƒ^ƒbƒNƒX�uK-7�v - ƒfƒWƒJƒ�Watch
what about me?
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/614484-post43.html
05-29-2009, 01:05 AM   #54
Veteran Member

Original Poster
sry ogl I missed it in all the non-grip related discusion
05-29-2009, 01:40 PM   #55

Just wondering why we can't pre-order the BG4 Grip, and why it doesn't exist yet on B&H website..
Should we expect the BG4 the same day as the K-7 ?
05-29-2009, 11:49 PM   #56
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Enc0der Quote
Just wondering why we can't pre-order the BG4 Grip, and why it doesn't exist yet on B&H website..
Should we expect the BG4 the same day as the K-7 ?
lol if it was like the K10, NO they had massive supply problems with shipping of everything for that. The grip, batteries, chargers, etc. Some places got grips before Cameras, Some got cameras weeks before grips, and the batteries & chargers etc were b*tch to find (luckily there was the Minolta batteries at the time though)
I hope Pentax learned its Supply hurdel and will supprise all us and have a massive package deal of everything being available at the same time ( body, grip, batteries, new WR lenses)

As for ordering, Call. I know when I pre-ordered my K10 they put down everything for me (I got the K10, grip 3 extra batteries and an extra charger. It all came in eventually... about 2 weeks total) But I remember the horror stories about trying to find assories etc. for the K10 (K20 was much less because it was almost the same)

I whould like them to offer a couple "pro" packages with the K7
Say with grip and extra battery charger etc.
with DA* lense(s)
05-31-2009, 02:23 AM   #57

Presentation video from Pentax:

YouTube - PENTAX K-7 Battery Grip
06-05-2009, 09:50 PM   #58
Veteran Member

That is really strange. Why would Pentax make the grip a different material than the body? I don't know if Canon+ Nikon do that, but it's kind of weird. Can anyone confirm this?
06-06-2009, 05:08 AM   #59

Because it's cheaper this way, and doesn't really matter.
06-06-2009, 10:42 AM   #60
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GLXLR Quote
That is really strange. Why would Pentax make the grip a different material than the body? I don't know if Canon+ Nikon do that, but it's kind of weird. Can anyone confirm this?
The D300/700 grip is now made of magnesium alloy.