Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-20-2009, 02:55 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K-7, First DSLR w/ True Aperture Control with Video!

Here is the quote from imaging-resource:

"While you can control the lens aperture on some competing SLRs by faking-out the exposure system, the Pentax K7 is the first video-capable SLR that we're aware of that lets you set the lens aperture explicitly. You can't adjust it during recording, but whatever value you set before you begin your clip is the one the camera will use. This is a great feature, one that's been sorely lacking in other video-capable SLRs. We really liked the control this gave us over the depth of field of our recorded videos, and liked knowing that the aperture was exactly what we'd set it to, not some value we hoped we'd tricked the camera into using."

Link: Pentax K-7 Digital Camera - Hands-On Preview - The Imaging Resource!

Another "Game Changer" feature from K-7

05-20-2009, 03:23 PM   #2
Veteran Member

You can't control aperture on the 5DMkII?
05-20-2009, 03:33 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by krypticide Quote
You can't control aperture on the 5DMkII?
Apparently not!

Look what DPReview says in Canon 5Dm2 review on video function:
QuoteQuote:
Exposure is fully automatic; as you change the exposure level using exposure compensation - or the scene brightness changes - the camera will adjust the aperture and ISO (no matter what ISO value you choose the camera will switch into auto ISO mode once movie recording begins) - you can check what's happening with a tap of the shutter button.

Using shallow depth of field to isolate your subject from the background can therefore be very difficult in bright situations, as the camera will immediately close down the aperture to obtain the correct exposure. There are ways to work around this behavior, such as the use of ND filters or partially dismounting the lens to disable the aperture control, but these are just that - workarounds. In the right conditions the 5D Mark II can produce very good video quality, but functionally (at the time of writing) it will never be a substitute for a dedicated video camera.
05-20-2009, 03:35 PM   #4
jeffkpotter

I wonder if there's anyway, anyway to shoot movies using legacy lenses, say a Jupiter-9?
Probably not a snowballs chance in hell, but I wonder. A preset lens would be ideal for movies.
Are we going to have a "post your movies" section Adam? I hope not. Everybody's Kid, cat and dog would be on it.

05-20-2009, 04:02 PM   #5
Veteran Member

That's really cool! I had previously thought that aperture control was precisely why one would want a DSLR with video...
05-20-2009, 04:15 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by HermanLee Quote
You can't adjust it during recording, but whatever value you set before you begin your clip is the one the camera will use.
i don't understand... why can't you adjust it during recording?
05-20-2009, 05:08 PM   #7

I imagine to keep it crippled (at least) a little bit-Samsung does have a notable camcorder selection that I imagine they're not too keen on creating more competition for.
05-20-2009, 05:13 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by Grimlock Quote
I imagine to keep it crippled (at least) a little bit-Samsung does have a notable camcorder selection that I imagine they're not too keen on creating more competition for.
if it was only with pentax, i would agree,
but that there's not one dslr with video mode that allows change of aperture during recording implies that it's technically more difficult than one might think...?

05-20-2009, 06:38 PM   #9

Can you zoom and change focus during the recording on K-7?
05-20-2009, 06:41 PM   #10
Pentaxian

that means if you're using a K-> FA series lens you can adjust the aperture during movie making, My K 50mm f/1.2 always had a cinematic streak to it...Lens babies should be fun to use with video capture too.
05-20-2009, 06:42 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by krypticide Quote
That's really cool! I had previously thought that aperture control was precisely why one would want a DSLR with video...
That's what the 5DmkII users said while they were griping at Canon

sash: yes you can zoom and change focus...and even AF...
05-20-2009, 06:59 PM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by Alcazar Quote
if it was only with pentax, i would agree,
but that there's not one dslr with video mode that allows change of aperture during recording implies that it's technically more difficult than one might think...?
Well, that's plausible, but there's also the following to keep in mind:

-Canon has a huge interest in camcorders
-Panasonic, which is partners with Olympus in the 4/3rds thing, has a huge interest in camcorders (granted, Panasonic is coming out with a micro 4/3rds camera that'll do HD video, but it's price is pretty-high, so it wouldn't be a huge threat to its camcorder concerns)
-Nikon gets their imaging sensors from Sony, which has a huge interest in camcorders.

So all of the notable SLR players have a reason not to give us a SLR with un-nerfered video capability for a while or so, either to avoid fouling up another divisions' sales (like Canon), or annoying a hardware partner (like Nikon could with Sony).

Of course, there's also the "let's give them a reason to upgrade to the next model" logic, too.