Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-20-2009, 03:18 PM   #1
Veteran Member

John Carlson answering Q in DPR - DNG is Compressed

John Carlson aka JohnCPentax (Pentax Imaging USA product manager) is entertaining Q regarding K-7 in dpreview.
So if you have any burning questions (not found anywhere else!), head over; but please don't overwhelm him, there are already many unnecessary questions there (should be able to find the answer if they bother to read the preview).

Some new info which comes out - DNG is now compressed, like PEF.

Exposure during movie taking is automatic, you can use AE-L to lock the exposure during the shooting.

He implied you can change aperture during movie taking (though he was not asked specifically whether it's during or before start of video shoot), exposure will be automatically adjusted as you change the aperture; or you can use AE-L to lock the exposure.

BTW, someone should really invite Ned and John to participate here!

05-20-2009, 04:45 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Thanks for the info on DNG!

I've posted to John's thread, asking both a question and requesting he consider posting here at PentaxForums.com

Regards,
Marc
05-20-2009, 04:55 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Since I've spent so much time obsessing over P-TTL flashes, I think it's interesting that he says that the new 77-segment metering will improve P-TTL flash exposure. We'll see how that goes.

(I'm very happy with P-TTL when used for wireless bounce flash, but it does have some weirdness when used directly. That can be worked around, but it's hard to use as just auto in some situations.)
05-21-2009, 07:58 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
John Carlson aka JohnCPentax (Pentax Imaging USA product manager) is entertaining Q regarding K-7 in dpreview.
So if you have any burning questions (not found anywhere else!), head over; but please don't overwhelm him, there are already many unnecessary questions there (should be able to find the answer if they bother to read the preview).

Some new info which comes out - DNG is now compressed, like PEF.

Exposure during movie taking is automatic, you can use AE-L to lock the exposure during the shooting.

He implied you can change aperture during movie taking (though he was not asked specifically whether it's during or before start of video shoot), exposure will be automatically adjusted as you change the aperture; or you can use AE-L to lock the exposure.

BTW, someone should really invite Ned and John to participate here!
Ok thanks.
I tried to keep the other thread regarding HDR, a bit clean from the most easy found info, as well :
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/60846-pentax-k-7-hdr-2.html#post605350

Ned visits this place. But I guess hasn't posted yet

05-21-2009, 08:38 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for the thread hint (too bad about the forum cross-post ban), I found the answer to my most burning question...

Ah, nuts! The AEB and Mirror Lockup are still mutually exclusive! Even though you can set the AEB to fire off 5 shots with one shutter press (think of 5.2 fps!) the mirror will bounce with each exposure... waste of time and physics!