Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-20-2009, 08:22 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
As always, I am wondering why we cannot keep stuff like this in the mega thread.
I hate that mega thread. It's too large and it is impossible to read it whole if you're not dedicating 100% of your time just for reading it

I am very happy that people started to post different subjects under separate threads.

By the way, K-7 is already a reality, wouldn't be a time to move all the discussions to DSLR section?

05-20-2009, 09:10 PM   #17
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkpotter Quote
So far all we got are some (very nice!) iso 100 images, but people are foaming at the mouth calling this the greatest camera ever without seeing any high iso proof. Pretty silly stuff if you ask me.
Well, we can safely assume it will be better than K20D. If it can get 1-2 stop better, it won't be wonderful camera. Wait, I should a camera or a camcorder?

The other potential weakness is AF speed.
05-20-2009, 09:49 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
the ISO100 images are pretty nice, they do have some grain to them when you mess with the tonalities. I'll wait untill there are some RAW samples to say anything further.
05-21-2009, 12:01 AM   #19
Veteran Member

This particular sample is interesting
http://www.pentax.jp/japan/imaging/digital/slr/k-7/image/ex_04.jpg
Because it uses the NEW CTE white balance setting designed for sunsets.

Nice color, although some noise is visible in the water. Nothing drastic for a CMOS sensor. lots of grain,

I was surprised by the amount of CA in the seacoast image as I thought it was a jpeg sample and that would eliminate the problem.

EDIT : Actually I just pushed the cottage picture of the sunset 5 stops. I was very surprised by the lack of noise. even though I thought i could see it at Iso 100, it looks like its mainly grain, not noise.
Obviously the picture at 5+ exposure looks wrong, but it gives an idea./

05-21-2009, 12:13 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Thanks Steelski
05-21-2009, 04:31 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
I hate that mega thread. It's too large
Ok, I see your point.

Maybe, mods close the mega thread then. Because I fear that it will never die by itself. Because to keep track of the mega thread AND all the others is too much. Because the mega thread has everything which is in the other threads as well...

QUESTION:
Shall we have a poll to close the mega thread?
05-21-2009, 01:31 PM   #22
Gus
Forum Member

Ok, I see your point.

Maybe, mods close the mega thread then. Because I fear that it will never die by itself. Because to keep track of the mega thread AND all the others is too much. Because the mega thread has everything which is in the other threads as well...

QUESTION:
I agree with Edvinas, there are many of us who are unable to follow the mega-thread. Even the thought of searching it feels like a huge burden.

On the other hand, I personally do not think that the mega-thread should be closed. It's on a roll, it's setting records and drawing attention, and it's a great show of brand loyalty (regardless whether one likes the new camera or not).

05-21-2009, 02:09 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Ok, I see your point.

QUESTION:
I vote no. If a thread (at anandtech) on memory foam can last years for years, why can't we do it????
It did close after 3 years (I believe) and is now history.........
http://www.anandtech.com/
05-21-2009, 02:31 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkpotter Quote
So far all we got are some (very nice!) iso 100 images, but people are foaming at the mouth calling this the greatest camera ever without seeing any high iso proof. Pretty silly stuff if you ask me.
What so silly about it when the sensor's quality is well known? This is an improved version of the K20D's sensor, so I don't expect any surprises at all. Probably some incremental improvement; but there will be no quantum leap.
05-21-2009, 02:55 PM   #25
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
What so silly about it when the sensor's quality is well known? This is an improved version of the K20D's sensor, so I don't expect any surprises at all. Probably some incremental improvement; but there will be no quantum leap.
Its not just the sensor, its also how its integrated and shielded from outside interference.
05-21-2009, 03:00 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Who says it is an improved sensor? You or Pentax? They still have to prove it's improved.
From the sample photos I saw on the link above, I'll take a seat and wait for better proofs. Maybe when both the final IQ and my pocket money level up, and only then, I may buy the K-7
05-21-2009, 03:13 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Sensor has changed

If nothing else, it is a 4 channel readout sensor version, and that has certain difficulties with specific types of noise that are less of a problem with 2 channel readout.

Of course, the circuits are new, the wiring and layout is new, and the Prime processor has also changed, so it really is a new image processing path.

This is not quite like starting from zero, but it is not a slam-dunk either.

Ray
05-21-2009, 03:17 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ray Pulley Quote
If nothing else, it is a 4 channel readout sensor version, and that has certain difficulties with specific types of noise that are less of a problem with 2 channel readout.

Of course, the circuits are new, the wiring and layout is new, and the Prime processor has also changed, so it really is a new image processing path.

This is not quite like starting from zero, but it is not a slam-dunk either.

Ray
They have implied a different CFA as well I believe... Quality of on-board amps will be important as well.
Of course for some none of this will be quantum leaps (I'm still waiting for that from ANYONE.... err super DR ect.)
05-21-2009, 03:21 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RuiC Quote
Who says it is an improved sensor? You or Pentax?
Says Pentax. They claimed improved signal/noise ratio.
Of course, we still have to see sample images to make final judgment. But you just have to wait for actual K-7 release to see that.
05-22-2009, 03:33 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RuiC Quote
Who says it is an improved sensor? You or Pentax? They still have to prove it's improved.
From the sample photos I saw on the link above, I'll take a seat and wait for better proofs. Maybe when both the final IQ and my pocket money level up, and only then, I may buy the K-7
Says Pentax. They claimed improved signal/noise ratio.
Of course, we still have to see sample images to make final judgment. But you just have to wait for actual K-7 release to see that.
I think semantics rules here. They didn't say "improved sensor" they say "redesigned sensor".

Quote: 14.6 megapixels
The redesigned 14.6 megapixel CMOS sensor offers improved noise control _unquote

United States Patent Application: 0080043127