Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-21-2009, 09:00 AM   #46

i met a nikonian over craigslist to buy his used sb-28 ($80 ) and handled his d300.

wow.

im so glad pentax made the k-7 the way they did. i even thought the k20d was a little too big for my liking. that d300 was like a brick and was HUGE. it was probably >7 lbs with his huge zoom lens too. i could not imagine holding that for more than.... 10 min before my hand would start cramping. bigger is not better. when will they (anyone really) make small FF cameras like they had?

funny thing is he used to shoot a k1000 pentax before he switched over. i wonder if he wants to come back now

05-21-2009, 09:00 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
Exactly, Nikon is probably going to make D400 a "Super Dreadnought" - and that makes the "Pocket Battleship" K-7 even more appealing!

Shudder indeed.

Get real. Nikon is a great manufacturer that has succeeded by producing a wide variety of products that match or beat their competition. If you think that the D400 will not be an outstanding camera, then you are out of your mind. It may not be as small as the K-7, and it may not beat it on all features, but it will almost certainly beat it on some, including some innovative ones.

And another point: The D400 will probably outsell the k-7 by a significant margin, even if it is an inferior camera. That's what comes from having a huge user base.

Never underestimate your competitors.

Rob
05-21-2009, 02:44 PM   #48
Veteran Member

I'd guess K-7 hurts Canon more than Nikon

For years canon has made the high dollar video camera sales with their own dedicated lens line , not eos. This is likely why they are taking baby steps in HD dslr arena. Nikon is being bold , just trying to convert more to their lens mount so they offer articulated viewscreen hd now. The more I think about it the K-7 is growing on me, primarily due to my old k mount lens array and the fact the antishake is usable for HD recording. I may have to see past the lack of articulated viewscreen & aps-c sensor and add the K-7 to my kit as my first hd video camera for my next trip to Yellowstone. I'd always wanted to record motion and sound at that National Park.

QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote
Get real. Nikon is a great manufacturer that has succeeded by producing a wide variety of products that match or beat their competition. If you think that the D400 will not be an outstanding camera, then you are out of your mind. It may not be as small as the K-7, and it may not beat it on all features, but it will almost certainly beat it on some, including some innovative ones.

And another point: The D400 will probably outsell the k-7 by a significant margin, even if it is an inferior camera. That's what comes from having a huge user base.

Never underestimate your competitors.

Rob
05-21-2009, 02:46 PM   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
The D300 should be pretty close. But the K-7 is lighter, smaller, properly sealed, has built-in SR and a video mode...
D90 is more like it!