Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-20-2009, 08:14 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by NothingInCommon Quote
Let's get serious here. Which camera's are the K-7's true competitors?

Canon t1i << It may have alot of good specs, but have you actually held one? Feels like a toy.

Canon 50D

Olympus E-30

Sony DSLR-A700

Nikon D90

Nikon D300

Nikon D700 << wishful thinking?

Which camera do you think most closely resembles the K-7 overall ?

It's actually very much like the D90 or D300. D90 in size + video, D300 because it has AF adjustment and works with any old A lenses (D90 does not, D300 does.)

But it also has SR built in, and contrast-AF and aperture control with video...

We'll have to see the AF speed and high-ISO noise performance to really judge. If it matches the D90 in AF speed (D300 is probably still faster there) and matches or beats the D300 in IQ, which it very well might, we're talking about a pretty great camera. All fanboyism aside.

05-20-2009, 08:16 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
thats a bold statement!

I hope your right man.. because I'll be a proud owner from day 1
You would be very hard pressed to see a significant IQ difference between the K20D and the D700 up to ISO 400. I expect the K-7 sensor to be improved over that in the K20D. We shall see. But as someone else has noted in this thread, at some point IQ is so excellent that there is no practical reason to quibble about minor differences.

Rob

Last edited by robgo2; 05-21-2009 at 12:13 AM.
05-20-2009, 08:25 PM   #18
Veteran Member

K-7 is Unique!

Which camera do you think most closely resembles the K-7 overall ?
None. None of the above. The K-7 is unique and updated. It stands out!
05-20-2009, 08:34 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Rice,

Are you actually stoked about a Pentax product?

05-20-2009, 08:53 PM   #20
Forum Member

thats a bold statement!

I hope your right man.. because I'll be a proud owner from day 1
In some ways, even the K10D equals the IQ of the D700 in the right conditions. Where the D700 really pulls ahead is in high ISO (obviously) and dynamic range, which it has quite a bit more of than the K10D. I really hope that the K-7 delivers solid improvements in both these areas.

Anyway, I'm excited, because I'm reading nothing but good reports, and mucho positive buzz!
05-20-2009, 09:05 PM   #21
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sezme Quote
In some ways, even the K10D equals the IQ of the D700 in the right conditions. Where the D700 really pulls ahead is in high ISO (obviously) and dynamic range, which it has quite a bit more of than the K10D. I really hope that the K-7 delivers solid improvements in both these areas.

Anyway, I'm excited, because I'm reading nothing but good reports, and mucho positive buzz!
Agree, in well lit situation, there aren't that much difference in IQ between FF and APS-C.
05-20-2009, 09:19 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
If it's AF performs...
It's that simple for me!

Hopefully it can focus accurately on a group of people in front of some scenery...

05-20-2009, 10:04 PM   #23
Inactive Account

That's what you get for handling a camera for a review rather than actually going out and shooting days on end with one; not really "getting" how important ergonomics can be.

QuoteOriginally posted by Art Vandelay II Quote
I keep seeing a lot of gadget sites mention the Rebel T1i and the Nikon D5000. These gadget blogs just see video and small size and they don't understand anything else. They are starting to remind me of Best Buy employees. Each time I see those two cameras mentioned I leave a comment attempting to edumicate the writer....yeah, I have a lot of time on my hands.
05-20-2009, 10:46 PM   #24
Inactive Account

One very, very, very, very...*four hundred thousand "verys" later*...important feature that's got me hooked:

QuoteQuote:
From the K-7's press release:
"...the Battery Grip D-BG4 is
powered by either a rechargeable lithium-ion battery or six AA-size batteries."
That's genius. No, it really is. I know a lot of people find a high-capacity dedicated battery more than adequate, it's true, but I also know that shopkeepers all over the world aren't gonna let you borrow a powerpoint to charge it if it runs dry. No, they're gonna sell you the thankfully ubiquitous AA batteries. Many a time shooting a gig has the also-ubiquitous 7-11 saved my butt, because they have spare batteries for my camera (after some damn lead guitarist has nicked my backup Vartas to power his radio transmitter for his guitar.)

It's that perfect Pentax thinking, neat innovation that seems so small and "Why the hell didn't they think of it before?" sorta ideas, like how the K10D introduced Sensitivity priority and TAv modes ("Why are we still thinking like we're shooting film? It's digital - you don't have to shoot the same speed for 36 straight shots - it's now as easy to change the sensitivity as it is to change the aperture...")

Of course, those same naysayers from the gadget sites will turn this into a negative, of course. You're less of a man if you don't buy two does genuine Li-Ion batteries to go with it. What's the point of a camera if it doesn't show off the size of your wallet, eh?

Same goes for the price. Apparently it's gonna sell for...drumroll: $1499AU, according to Lukey.

You know what the damn gadget sites and DPReview are gonna say: "Fifteen hundred isn't really the price for a proper camera..." possibly between chiropractor appointments as they get the vertebrae in their necks reset from lugging that Canon 1D around.

Screw 'em. They wanna tell me that, they'll have to find me, because I'll be outside taking shots.

In the rain.
05-20-2009, 11:00 PM   #25
Forum Member

I think its made to fight it out with the Nikon D5000 or Canon T1i.
05-20-2009, 11:01 PM   #26
Inactive Account

Agreed about the batteries; brilliant move that will get downplayed by the naysayers.

It's either too cheap for a "real" camera or too expensive for a "consumer" camera which inevitably it will get compared to because, as we all know, Pentax isn't a "pro" brand...

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
You know what the damn gadget sites and DPReview are gonna say: "Fifteen hundred isn't really the price for a proper camera..." possibly between chiropractor appointments as they get the vertebrae in their necks reset from lugging that Canon 1D around.
05-20-2009, 11:04 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crispy0009 Quote
I think its made to fight it out with the Nikon D5000 or Canon T1i.
You are kidding, right? But I saw no smilies.....

Potential D5000 and T1i buyers would not even touch the K-7 once they found out about the missing scene modes in the mode dial...
05-20-2009, 11:13 PM   #28
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
Potential D5000 and T1i buyers would not even touch the K-7 once they found out about the missing scene modes in the mode dial...
Ah, yes, that drew some wry laughter from me.

"Better features?! This Pentax thingy doesn't even have a mode dedicated to shooting my daughter's birthday cake!"
05-20-2009, 11:17 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
Rice,

Are you actually stoked about a Pentax product?
Which DSLR you can find now on the market with the build quality, pro features, updated features and the compactness of the K-7?

Yes, it is not Full Frame. But as an APS-C camera, Pentax have made it very well already.
05-20-2009, 11:37 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
Which DSLR you can find now on the market with the build quality, pro features, updated features and the compactness of the K-7?

Yes, it is not Full Frame. But as an APS-C camera, Pentax have made it very well already.
We'll just have to see how it really performs then, especially the IQ, noise, AF, and the exposure.