Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-20-2009, 04:32 PM   #1
Forum Member

I've seen the K-7 compared to a wide range of cameras.

Let's get serious here. Which camera's are the K-7's true competitors?

Canon t1i << It may have alot of good specs, but have you actually held one? Feels like a toy.

Canon 50D

Olympus E-30

Sony DSLR-A700

Nikon D90

Nikon D300

Nikon D700 << wishful thinking?

Which camera do you think most closely resembles the K-7 overall ?

Last edited by NothingInCommon; 05-20-2009 at 04:48 PM.
05-20-2009, 04:42 PM   #2

Olympus E-3

I think that someone at Pentax woke up and said there is no reason Olympus should have more unit sales than Pentax. I think they are targeting potential Olympus buyers with the trump card that Pentax can deliver better overall image quality.
05-20-2009, 04:42 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by NothingInCommon Quote
Which camera do you think most closely resembles the K-7's overall ?
The D300 should be pretty close. But the K-7 is lighter, smaller, properly sealed, has built-in SR and a video mode...
05-20-2009, 04:44 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I would guess between a d90 and a d300....

there's the video + the rugged build. The only thing the d300 really has in terms of a huge advantage is that it's full frame and has 51 point AF... the K7 is weather sealed after all

To be honest, the the K7 looks awesome, i'm glad to see they incorporated a 920,000 dot screen.

There's too many different levels now, I would not compare it to the new rebel, I agree, it feels like a toy. I'm surprised canon has gotten away with building slr's (5 so far!) that have a grip made for a 6 year old's hands

05-20-2009, 04:53 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by esman7 Quote
there's the video + the rugged build. The only thing the d300 really has in terms of a huge advantage is that it's full frame and has 51 point AF... the K7 is weather sealed after all
Nikon D300 is an APS-C camera.
05-20-2009, 04:57 PM   #6
Veteran Member

We will know soon enough after we all get reviews of its real specs as in IQ, noise suppression (am I thinking of a gun?) or its live view even.
Tests are a'cummin!
That will actually sell the camera!
05-20-2009, 04:59 PM   #7
wll
Veteran Member

Head to head with Nikon D300

wll

05-20-2009, 05:05 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I keep seeing a lot of gadget sites mention the Rebel T1i and the Nikon D5000. These gadget blogs just see video and small size and they don't understand anything else. They are starting to remind me of Best Buy employees. Each time I see those two cameras mentioned I leave a comment attempting to edumicate the writer....yeah, I have a lot of time on my hands.

On a side note, Canon really needs a new product naming system on the Rebel line here in the US. They should switch to the euro system and just use a model number.
05-20-2009, 05:08 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
The D300 should be pretty close. But the K-7 is lighter, smaller, properly sealed, has built-in SR and a video mode...
The D300 is nearly 2 years old, and any reasonable person would recognize that the K-7 surpasses it, and does so in a much smaller package. As far as I can see, the K-7 is at the head of its class, which I would consider to be the higher end APS-C cameras. All of this presumes that the camera will perform up to our expectations and not be laden with bugs and manufacturing problems.

Regarding FF cameras, I would not be surprised the the K-7 IQ will equal that of the D700 and 5D-II, except at high ISO. Does that mean that it cannot compete with them in other ways? This camera may be a bit of a category breaker. It all depends on how really good it is.

Rob
05-20-2009, 06:05 PM   #10
wll
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote
The D300 is nearly 2 years old, and any reasonable person would recognize that the K-7 surpasses it, and does so in a much smaller package. As far as I can see, the K-7 is at the head of its class, which I would consider to be the higher end APS-C cameras. All of this presumes that the camera will perform up to our expectations and not be laden with bugs and manufacturing problems.

Regarding FF cameras, I would not be surprised the the K-7 IQ will equal that of the D700 and 5D-II, except at high ISO. Does that mean that it cannot compete with them in other ways? This camera may be a bit of a category breaker. It all depends on how really good it is.

Rob

I think you are very correct. I believe it will rival many ff cameras to date.

wll
05-20-2009, 06:26 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wll Quote
I think you are very correct. I believe it will rival many ff cameras to date.

wll
And a lot of reviewers will have to swallow a lot of bile to say that.
05-20-2009, 06:44 PM   #12
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Photomy Quote
Olympus E-3

I think that someone at Pentax woke up and said there is no reason Olympus should have more unit sales than Pentax. I think they are targeting potential Olympus buyers with the trump card that Pentax can deliver better overall image quality.
I think you nailed it. Olympus, even more so than Pentax, always emphasized miniaturization. The OM-1 (and the rest of the series that followed) was a little jewel. But what's the point of the 4/3 format when the camera is bulkier than an APS-C camera that will deliver superior image quality?
05-20-2009, 07:00 PM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster

Rob
thats a bold statement!

I hope your right man.. because I'll be a proud owner from day 1
05-20-2009, 07:20 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

If it's AF performs up to it's drive speed, it will be very nice indeed. This looks like a performance camera, I'm very much anticipating a satisfying jump in AF performance and overall handling.
I'm really very excited by this one, I think it's going to be one small camera for a man, one giant picture taker for mankind.

I've been lucky so far, in that none of my DSLR cameras have had any bugs, I expect this new camera to carry on in that tradition.

QuoteQuote:

Rob
There will pretty much always be a disconnect in high ISO performance between APS-C and low density full frame cameras such as the D700, though I also expect the difference to get smaller over time.
The thing is, at some point, it just stops mattering.
05-20-2009, 08:08 PM   #15
Veteran Member

None of them!

It creates a new class of DSLR, The affordable compact outdoor enthusiast. This puts Pentax into a niche that separates them from everybody else. The interesting thing is that it might be just good enough to draw sales away from the larger units and the yet to arrive smaller units that will copy the Panny GH-1.

My bet is Ben will be raving about the form factor of this thing. If the reviews show the AF speed, tracking, and low light ability is up to snuff both my K10D and Sony A700 will be going up for sale.

Let's hope the marketing department doesn't drop the ball on this one.