Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-23-2009, 03:11 PM   #91
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nulla Quote
Dave.. maybe it is just his lens.

Are you happy with yours?

Neil
i was, until PentaPoke informed me that Pentax top of the line DA* zooms are aparently no good .
i had focus speed issues with my 2 lenses , and was about to jump ship, when JimC from Steves digicam, asked me to remove the uv filters and see what happens, an in a flash, the focus speed increased dramatically. but still, my 50-135 is faster and has better IQ.

Dave

05-23-2009, 03:27 PM   #92
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Before it beats the D300 it has to beat the D90, and from what I've read so far about the AF improvements, I'm not sure it will - I'm hopeful, but not certain.

My D90 beats my K20D in AF-lock speed hands-down in any lighting situation. We need the K-7 to match the D90 if possible - it may be too much to ask for it to match the D300 (especially with grip.)

i really need to ask you a comparison question on the D90 vs the K20D
autofocus speed in bright and especially dim light conditions
accurate metering
high iso noise
long exposure noise

would you please tell me which one is better, in each of the catagories

Dave
05-23-2009, 06:17 PM   #93

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dafiryde Quote
thank you very much, for getting back to us
a question i would like to ask is
as i have the DA*16-50 and 50-135. should i see a vast difference in autofocus speed with the K7 over the K20D, and if yes by how much %

Dave
Hi Dave,
It is hard to quantify the improvement in the AF performance. Will it focus better on lower contrast items? My response would be definitely. Will you see better speed with the lenses you mentioned? You better believe it. I definitely saw a difference and like I said earlier, I had the camera long enough to put all the DA* lenses on it.

The main reason it is hard to quantify the improvement is we are dealing with very small numbers. If I said the improvement is by 50%, that would seem like a lot, but in real numbers it would mean the improvement by the smallest of numbers.

I am a salesman and not an engineer or a mathlete, so please forgive my lack of solid numbers. However since observing the AF performance of lots of cameras is what I do every day, my sense is that of feel or intuition. When I run the K 7 against the D90 and I can tell the Pentax runs faster, that is the best I can tell you. In the right time, you too will be able to make the same comparison and I will bet you a dozen doughnuts that you will come to the same conclusion.

Cheers!
05-23-2009, 06:35 PM   #94

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Langille Quote
Hi David,

Hope you and the camera store plus family are doing well in Rockford?

You've indicated the K-7 has better AF than the D90, approaching the D300? Obviously the D300 is considered a benchmark to be compared against in it's class. What I am curious about the K-7: in lower lighting conditions, how good is the AF without the AF assist lamp? That lamp has a range limitation, so it will often not be of benefit for wildlife work at around dawn or dusk when little contrast and lighting is available.

Don't get wrong, I am very interested in the improvements and will probably buy a K-7. I big plus is having the 5 FPS for starters (thank you Pentax) and improved AF. Having used an MZ-S with SAFOX VIII in low light, it's really quick and locks fast. Therefore this would encourage me to believe the algorithms have been fine tuned to the point that I may have what I've wanted for some time: faster low light AF. Accuracy has not been an issue for me - it's generally better with Pentax.

BTW, I put John Carlson to the question at DPR about low light focusing, but he didn't have any data on it.

Best wishes,
Marc
Hi Marc,

Great to hear from you and the store is doing really well. I don't know why and I'm not asking questions

I think you know how much I hated the MZ-S. Pentax really let me have it at a trade show once when I called the many design flaws into question. However I will admit the focus was a major step forward from the PZ-1P and the ZX-5n. You will find that the focus from the MZ-S to the K-7 is just as dramatic of an improvement.

As far as the AF assist lamp goes, it never came on with the K-7 I used. Even when I covered the lens it wouldn't turn on. However, the camera also wouldn't go in to the custom menu without locking up, so the pre-prod model still needs some work. However we were shooting in our studio and our subject was cream colored chairs against a cream colored wall, and the camera never failed to lock quickly when aiming from far to near or from near to far.

Hope all is well with you, Marc and I hope we can gather again.

David

05-23-2009, 06:46 PM   #95

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dafiryde Quote
i really need to ask you a comparison question on the D90 vs the K20D
autofocus speed in bright and especially dim light conditions
accurate metering
high iso noise
long exposure noise

would you please tell me which one is better, in each of the catagories

Dave
Dave,

AF in the extremes is actually really close between the K20D and the D90. It is in the 80% of picture taking situations where I think there is a focus speed advantage for Nikon. However as I mentioned in an earlier post that advantage is frequently lens specific, as each company has some product that really screams and some that just really are not that fast.

The high iso noise advantage clearly goes to the Nikon. I think that you will soon see that the K-7 will rival the characteristics of the D300 where high ISO is concerned. However...I have to say the model that I shot looked pretty underwhelming at 6400. Even the K20D seemed to look a bit nicer. I will hopefully chalk that up to being a pre prod model.

I consistently give the metering accuracy nod to Pentax because the spot meter has been a staple in their products for a gajillion years. However I love the metering characteristics of the Nikon D90 and D300. You will see a big metering improvement in the K-7 over the K20, but I would still suggest that Nikon has a superior evaluative meter.

I call the long exposure noise a tie between the Pentax and Nikon systems. I have exposures of 20 minutes maximum that look very clean at iso 200. I would try longer exposures but the processing time becomes totally rediculous.

Hope this helps you.
David
05-23-2009, 07:18 PM   #96
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dnaseigel Quote
Hi Dave,
It is hard to quantify the improvement in the AF performance. Will it focus better on lower contrast items? My response would be definitely. Will you see better speed with the lenses you mentioned? You better believe it. I definitely saw a difference and like I said earlier, I had the camera long enough to put all the DA* lenses on it.

The main reason it is hard to quantify the improvement is we are dealing with very small numbers. If I said the improvement is by 50%, that would seem like a lot, but in real numbers it would mean the improvement by the smallest of numbers.

I am a salesman and not an engineer or a mathlete, so please forgive my lack of solid numbers. However since observing the AF performance of lots of cameras is what I do every day, my sense is that of feel or intuition. When I run the K 7 against the D90 and I can tell the Pentax runs faster, that is the best I can tell you. In the right time, you too will be able to make the same comparison and I will bet you a dozen doughnuts that you will come to the same conclusion.

Cheers!
Thanks for your comforting words.
49.9% increase in autofocus speed is fine for me
focusing on lower contrast items, is good enough for me, as my main concern was an improvement in low light situations.
do you sell online, i would like to give you the sale of the K7

Thanks a Mil

Dave
05-23-2009, 07:29 PM   #97
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dnaseigel Quote
Dave,

AF in the extremes is actually really close between the K20D and the D90. It is in the 80% of picture taking situations where I think there is a focus speed advantage for Nikon. However as I mentioned in an earlier post that advantage is frequently lens specific, as each company has some product that really screams and some that just really are not that fast.

The high iso noise advantage clearly goes to the Nikon. I think that you will soon see that the K-7 will rival the characteristics of the D300 where high ISO is concerned. However...I have to say the model that I shot looked pretty underwhelming at 6400. Even the K20D seemed to look a bit nicer. I will hopefully chalk that up to being a pre prod model.

I consistently give the metering accuracy nod to Pentax because the spot meter has been a staple in their products for a gajillion years. However I love the metering characteristics of the Nikon D90 and D300. You will see a big metering improvement in the K-7 over the K20, but I would still suggest that Nikon has a superior evaluative meter.

I call the long exposure noise a tie between the Pentax and Nikon systems. I have exposures of 20 minutes maximum that look very clean at iso 200. I would try longer exposures but the processing time becomes totally rediculous.

Hope this helps you.
David
Thanks again
i have decided to give the K7 a chance
if only tomorrow was the release date

Dave
05-23-2009, 10:18 PM   #98
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My friend made quick test in the shop. Firmware 0.2.
Beta-sample. K-7 with DA*55/1.4 (AF assist lamp OFF) and D700 + 50/1.4 (AF assist ON). Verdict is no any difference.

We also had K20D with DA*55. Worse.
K-7 is MORE prehensile, faster, more accurate.
Pentax never had such AF in DSLR. Not miracle, but VERY GOOD LEVEL. Better than K-m.

It's hard to say that D700 is better than K-7.
A bit...Maybe..Maybe not.
The same level. But it was very quick test (10 minutes)

My friend said - AF of K-7 is on level of semi-pro cameras of competitors NOW. Pentax made BIG job under AF in tungsten and artificial light and prehensility of AF

Last edited by ogl; 05-24-2009 at 03:09 AM.