Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-20-2009, 09:28 PM   #16
Pentaxian

for me it's the viewfinder, the K10D would give me a few surprises with it's 95% view.

new quieter shutter is most welcome.

higher FPS with a High/Low option is also very welcome feature.

I shoot manual mostly, but for action work the new metering system should be a good step forward.

the metal camera body is fantastic, as is the weather sealing.

05-20-2009, 09:38 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote
On the Olympus forum at DPR, there are at least two threads of mostly drooling commentary on the K-7.

Rob

From one of those threads:

QuoteQuote:
Justin,

The picture in Richard Butler's hands-on preview which compares the size of the K-7 with those of its competitors, and Richard's comment about the E-30, are really upsetting for us Olympus users - the K-7 is indeed smaller, even though the E-30 has no sealing, and has a smaller sensor and mirror.

As I understand it, the reason all our Olympus cameras grew so much since the E-1 is because of the fuss that was made about the poor viewfinder of the E-1, and Olympus' reaction to them. Because our sensor is so small, more magnification is required between the sensor and the VF, and so the cameras got taller. They over-reacted in my opinion, but then what would you expect me to say, I stil use an E-1. I'd still rather put up with the VF on my E-1 than have the fat camera, but after seeing the K-7, I'm wondering whether with it I could have both the small camera and the good view..

As I said in Simon's thread, I swapped from Pentax to Olympus in 1983 to get a smaller, more portable camera, and this is the first time I've ever thought of the possibility of changing back.

We need those Olympus optical engineers to get to work on making more VF gain in a shorter light path. Remember the XA, guys, use telephoto designs!
Cheers, Baddboy.

link.

05-20-2009, 09:47 PM   #18
Veteran Member

But.... they have those wonderfull Oly lenses!

mike
05-20-2009, 09:54 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Don't forget the fun stuff they've put in there (digital filters) for those rainy day pictures.

デジタル一眼レフカメラ:PENTAXюサ品機能・特長яス彩な画像編集機能ページ

Minatures, fisheye, etc.

05-20-2009, 10:02 PM   #20
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bravo Pentax.
The K-7's worthy of its flagship status.
Significant improvements on all the areas talked about.
Would be surprised if it didn't win any awards worldwide.
Looking to forward to seeing its results...
05-20-2009, 11:21 PM   #21
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by RawheaD Quote
He's already started to accumulate Pentax lenses, including an FA* 24/2 (bastard, I don't even have a star lens!!!)
So, uh, how do you feel about, um...fratricide? He...oh, just throwin' it out there...allergic to peanuts? Immune to cyanide?
05-20-2009, 11:35 PM   #22
Veteran Member

All I can say is that this camera is horrid disappointment...

I mean, if it's sooooo good, and it's not the K20D's successor....

THEN WHAT THE HELL IS THE K20D'S SUCCESSOR GOING TO BE LIKE?!

I am so disappointed that I am going to have to decide between getting the K7 now, or waiting to see what Pentax will be bringing out with the successor....

Thank you Pentax, thank you for forcing me into this awful conundrum....
05-21-2009, 12:24 AM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by HawaiianOnline Quote

I am so disappointed that I am going to have to decide between getting the K7 now, or waiting to see what Pentax will be bringing out with the successor....

My guess is there will be no successors. Most likely they will make a simpler camera based on the k-7 body later this year. More plastics, fewer buttons; lets call it K-77 for now. Then again They will make a K-1 sometime next year, again same body, more features, new sensor (I am sure we will go through the FF or square sensor rumours again) possibly even more direct controls (if they can fit them in). And as an entry model they will keep the unsealed K-M, at least for now.

05-21-2009, 01:21 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by HawaiianOnline Quote

There won't be a K20D successor, Pentax has already said so several times during the past months. The K-7 is a unique camera and a step above. There will be a K200D successor to fill the gap between the K-m and the K-7, but it won't be two cameras between the K-m and K-7, just the K200D successor.
05-21-2009, 01:23 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by quarc Quote
My guess is there will be no successors. Most likely they will make a simpler camera based on the k-7 body later this year. More plastics, fewer buttons; lets call it K-77 for now. Then again They will make a K-1 sometime next year, again same body, more features, new sensor (I am sure we will go through the FF or square sensor rumours again) possibly even more direct controls (if they can fit them in). And as an entry model they will keep the unsealed K-M, at least for now.
Not a K-1, the K-7 is the flagship. Pentax has ditched the idea of a 4 DSLR lineup, so we're getting only three but three with more differencies than before and less overlapping.
05-21-2009, 01:50 AM   #26
Pentaxian

"Electronic leveling", how cool is that? One just hopes that it will be accurate and thus obviate the need for 100% viewfinder alignment. It is a feature that other manufacturers will find difficult/impossible to copy because their image stabilisation systems do not allow for rotational compensation.

The K-7 is an awesome package, makes me want to have one right now.

But one thing really drags me down. What's the business with the crappy doors? One of them is of the awful rubber type. A metal body with classic lugs and then this s**t? Was it the cheapo new doors, Ned Bunnel was blogging about when he talked about the "soul of a camera"? Please, give me a break.
05-21-2009, 02:08 AM   #27

I'm disappointed by the crappy doors too, makes a bit of a mockery of the weather-sealing if you ask me. Not sure it's a deal breaker though.
05-21-2009, 09:00 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Like many, I thought that I might be underwhelmed by the K-7 but I have to say I'm just blown away by the specifications, features, size and targeted price point it will sell.
Now my K20D looks seriously underspeced... which can only mean the onset of the dreaded camera buying addiction...

I'm making a prediction the new K-7 will win most of the camera awards out there this year and win over many new Pentax converts.
Already some Nikon, Sony and Olympus users I know are seriously sitting up and taking notice, making enquiries with the intention to buy this camera.

Kudos to the K-7 design team... looks like a big winner to me.
I see your point. When I first read Yvon's blog entry, how other DSLRs would have to play catch-up, I also didn't want to get my hopes up way too high.
PENTAX DSLRs: The lucky "7" Pentax DSLR, coming near you soon.

But now I think that we could have a new K10 revolution on our hands. The K20 evolved from the K10. The K7 is something new. Maybe a small revolution, but could be an important one for us Pentaxians

- HDR

- manual placement of sensor

- Electronic leveling.

- new standard cold weather functionality

etc.

And all things in an impressively small package.

QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
But nothing has the full mix of the K-7.
The other thing that this camera does is it shows Hoya's comitment to Pentax. Pentax is showing some vision. Pentax is showing comitment to technology, and to photographers.
This really helps show Pentax as a camera company interested in making great cameras. Helps me as the consumer have confidance in the brands future.
Way to go Pentax.
Well stated

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
From one of those threads:
link.
Thanks, hadn't seen it. But I do understand them

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
"Electronic leveling", how cool is that? One just hopes that it will be accurate and thus obviate the need for 100% viewfinder alignment. It is a feature that other manufacturers will find difficult/impossible to copy because their image stabilisation systems do not allow for rotational compensation.
Good point
05-21-2009, 03:40 PM   #29
Forum Member

Man, why did such a great camera come out exactly when I am buying a condo.
Guess I will have to stick with my K10D and *istD till most of the condo and the wife's new car is paid off in a few years :-(

For those of you lucky enough to get it in July, I envy you... enjoy the camera - I will join the party as soon as I can.
05-21-2009, 05:13 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Im not going to lie, this camera has given me a big smile on my face

A perfect camera going from the K200d IMO, and all the features missing ("only " 1/180 with flash, etc.) dont matter to me as I would never use them anyways.

I too have some canon and Nikon friends looking into this camera

GO PENTAX!!