Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-20-2009, 06:11 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax K-7 - an award winner in the making

Like many, I thought that I might be underwhelmed by the K-7 but I have to say I'm just blown away by the specifications, features, size and targeted price point it will sell.
Now my K20D looks seriously underspeced... which can only mean the onset of the dreaded camera buying addiction...

I'm making a prediction the new K-7 will win most of the camera awards out there this year and win over many new Pentax converts.
Already some Nikon, Sony and Olympus users I know are seriously sitting up and taking notice, making enquiries with the intention to buy this camera.

Kudos to the K-7 design team... looks like a big winner to me.

05-20-2009, 06:25 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Here are some great and surprising features of note:
* 100% viewfinder
* mirror lockup
* in-body barrel/pincushion distortion and CA correction
* Check around 2:20 at YouTube - PENTAX K-7 Introduction (what the?)
* electronic level

Last edited by asdf; 05-21-2009 at 08:17 AM.
05-20-2009, 06:34 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by asdf Quote
* Check around 2:15 at [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNCHdsZI88g]
You mean, mirror lock-up when using the IR remote? I hadn't thought of that, but it seems glaringly obvious in retrospect.
05-20-2009, 06:35 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
You mean, mirror lock-up when using the IR remote? I hadn't thought of that, but it seems glaringly obvious in retrospect.
I meant the ability to move the sensor to compose.

05-20-2009, 06:37 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Already some Nikon, Sony and Olympus users I know are seriously sitting up and taking notice, making enquiries with the intention to buy this camera.
On the Olympus forum at DPR, there are at least two threads of mostly drooling commentary on the K-7.

Rob
05-20-2009, 06:38 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are definitely a lot of CaNikon lemmings lining up on some of the other pentax forums to bash it. Some of their ammo comes from rh.
05-20-2009, 06:45 PM   #7
wll
Veteran Member

I must agree, this camera, if up to spec will win every award and set Pentax as a major player.

Pentax makes some of the very finest lenses around, and those lenses with this new body will make everyone take notice.

My congrats to Pentax for thinking outside the box and making a truely outstanding product.

wll
05-20-2009, 07:01 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Continuing trend of solid Pentax cams

Since i bought my K10 2 years ago, i've been reading the occasional end of the world rumor about Pentax. Hoya was going to do the brand in, then Samsung had it in for Pentax, then budget cuts were the actual start of the end.

Yet for all the dire predictions, Pentax just continues to issue forth one solid cam after another:
K10
K20
K200
K2000
and now K7

I've always bought behind the curve on computers and now i've started doing that with digital cameras, buying the K20 recently. A year from now i'll likely buy the K7. But i think Pentax, despite all the rumors, has consistently been building a more solid system, all able to use their excellent cadre of lens. The positioning of their cameras is outstanding, particularly the K20, the K2000, and the K7.

The only think I dislike about the system at this point is PTTL, but i do appreciate their incorporation of x-synchro.

Well done Hoya!

Phil

05-20-2009, 07:06 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I agree, it's a winner, to me at least.

Can't wait to have one ...
05-20-2009, 07:47 PM   #10
Veteran Member

My brother, D90 shooter, is all ready to ditch it the instant this thing comes out (and he was ready 3 days ago, when a lot of these specs were still hidden). He's already started to accumulate Pentax lenses, including an FA* 24/2 (bastard, I don't even have a star lens!!!) in preparation. I'll be getting the K-7 when it comes out, and we just gave our mother a K-m for mom's day; all of a sudden we're a family of Pentax shooters
05-20-2009, 08:22 PM   #11
Veteran Member

The K-7 has impressed me far beyond my expectations.

Its feature set is just amazing. I don't think there is any other camera out there right now that has ALL of what the K-7 has. And I do mean EVERY camera. D3, no in body SR. A900, what no movie mode? D90, not weather sealed. D300 still no self leveling sensor... 50D scene modes but no hyper-program? 5D failed in cold wet weather... how's -10 grab ya?

I could go on. Can anyone think of a camera that matches the feature set of the K-7? Sure the D700 has full frame, or the D300 shoots faster, or the D3x is crazy expensive, or the D90 is...ya....skip the D90, or the 5d is full frame video. But nothing has the full mix of the K-7.

The other thing that this camera does is it shows Hoya's comitment to Pentax. Pentax is showing some vision. Pentax is showing comitment to technology, and to photographers.
This really helps show Pentax as a camera company interested in making great cameras. Helps me as the consumer have confidance in the brands future.

Way to go Pentax.
05-20-2009, 08:42 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I too, have to admit to being pretty impressed. Video and live view are fluff to me, but the rest of the package is extremely attractive. Finally a well-spec'd, moderately priced, enthusiast-level dSLR in a robust, petite body.

These things I am interested in from the test reviews when they come out:
  • High ISO performance
  • Dynamic range
  • Exposure accuracy
  • AF speed/accuracy
Additional things I am even more interested in from the inevitable user reports:
  • Exposure accuracy with legacy lenses
  • Manual focus with the new viewfinder and focus screens

Steve
05-20-2009, 08:57 PM   #13
Veteran Member

All I can say is that Christmas came early for Pentaxians as the wishlist has been fulfilled and more!
05-20-2009, 09:15 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I have to agree. I did my fair share of bitching because I was hoping for more magnification from the view finder, but after that initial disappointment I've now come to the realization that this is truly going to be a remarkable little camera. I think (and hope) this will be Pentax's biggest success this decade. I'm sure the K-M/K2000 will still outsell it, but now Pentax finally has a camera that Canikon users have to pay attention to and can no simply dismiss Pentax as an inferior brand. There was even a thread about it in an Olympus forum I checked out. It seems the K-7 is basically the camera they all hope the E-4 will be.

I just finished reading the Imaging Resource's glowing preview of the K-7...now I want it even more. I haven't seen a camera this well received since reading D300 previews almost 2 years ago.
05-20-2009, 09:17 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Don't know if you guys have seen this but here:
YouTube - PENTAX K-7 Introduction