Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by legacyb4 Quote
Make that Subaru, Pentax, and Apple!
Subaru I get, Apple I dont.

06-03-2009, 06:31 AM   #77
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I briefly played with a K-7 yesterday !

A friend/employee at the store where I pre-ordered my K-7 called me yesterday to tell me the Pentax rep was there with a pre-production K-7 and the 2 new WR lenses .

I had about 15 minutes to play with the camera, with the new 18-55mm WR lens as well as my own FA35/2 and FA77Ltd.

First off: everything you've read about the faster AF, quiet shutter, superb build quality, etc is true

The camera feels really good in the hand, the grip is deep. I'd say the weight is similar to the K10D. The controls are well located, but there are a lot of small/subtle differences compared to the K10D. I did not feel the angled front e-dial made a significant difference in handling. I'm not crazy about the new location of the Green Button, but that could simply be a question of habit. Ditto about the lock on the mode dial.

The AF selection is no big deal, as previsously reported. Once you press "Ok" to get into "AF selection mode", it remains active until you press "Ok" again or change the shooting mode.

The quick-access to settings via the "Info" button has a nice touch: you do not have to go "into" an item to change its value: simply navigate to it using the 4-way pad, then use the rear e-dial to change its value.

The AF speed difference with my K10D is night and day. The K-7 would consistently lock focus in little more than half the time the K10D needed, and it hunted less. I did not try it in really low light, however. Neither did I try AF.C.

The shutter sound is an absolute delight. The K10D emits a leisurely "clak-clak", while the K-7 sounds off with a quick, muted "flap-flap" (it sounds more solid at the same time). The mirror blackout time feels correspondly shorter.

The camera was setup in continuous-high (5.2 fps) drive mode when I first took it, and I had trouble taking only one shot at a time. Must learn to release the shutter button more quickly

I can't comment on IQ, as I was not allowed to put a card in the camera, and it was running the very old 0.20 firmware anyway. I'm confident it will be at least as good as the K20D, and that's good enough for me.

All I can say is, now I really can't wait to get mine (still first in line at that same store !)
06-03-2009, 08:41 AM   #78
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice to hear this report. I really can't wait to get mine too. I hope there will not be a long B/O situation.

QuoteOriginally posted by RBellavance Quote
The quick-access to settings via the "Info" button has a nice touch: you do not have to go "into" an item to change its value: simply navigate to it using the 4-way pad, then use the rear e-dial to change its value.
Yes, this is like the K-m, very easy and fast to change the most important settings. That's why I'm not worrying about the lost of bracketting button and SR switch.

Did you try the Liveview?
06-03-2009, 08:44 AM   #79
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
Did you try the Liveview?
Not really. I did turn it on to play with the "Composition adjustment" feature, but I did not try the contrast-detection AF etc. I can't say Live View interests me much, and I had limited time to handle the camera.

06-03-2009, 08:50 AM   #80
Veteran Member

Lucky Lucky people ! have fun with your new tool!
06-03-2009, 10:15 AM   #81
Veteran Member

In case it helps the Canadian folks....Lens and Shutter is still at $1499. I just changed my order
06-03-2009, 10:56 AM   #82
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by smc Quote
In case it helps the Canadian folks....Lens and Shutter is still at $1499. I just changed my order

What do you mean you changed your order? what are you buying? does that mean L&S take K-7 pre-orders? if that is so, well WOW, I'll be on my way later. I just hope they'll take it easy on the lenses as well. their price is just too...well ......pricey !!!

06-03-2009, 11:16 AM   #83
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
What do you mean you changed your order? what are you buying? does that mean L&S take K-7 pre-orders? if that is so, well WOW, I'll be on my way later. I just hope they'll take it easy on the lenses as well. their price is just too...well ......pricey !!!
I walked into L&S and asked for a price and delivery date for the K-7. They called the purchaser and he quoted $1499 and July delivery so I ordered it. They also had prices for the body with the new kit lenses as well but I wasn't interested and didn't ask for them. Send me a PM if you need to know more and I can pass along the reps name etc.
06-08-2009, 04:40 AM   #84
mel
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I placed my pre-order this weekend.
06-08-2009, 03:03 PM   #85

I pre-ordered today, with the (admittedly, *extremely* unlikely) hopes that it'll be here in time to take on vacation July 2nd.

If not, I'll cancel the pre-order, and grab it at a more convenient time. (It'd just be really fun to have a new toy to take on vacation!)
06-08-2009, 05:22 PM   #86
Inactive Account

Canadian Pre-order

I ordered a body and a battery at The Camera Store. Is the lens discount coupon really USA only? The rep called Pentax right in front of me and 'Bill' at Pentax Canada knew nothing about it. Bummer. Only the 18-55 WR is a 'kit' lens @ $150. Not the 50-200 which is the one I wanted. It's only $50 off w/body.

Please e-mail me if you know anything firm about the discount coupon in Canada.
06-08-2009, 05:27 PM   #87
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by OregonJim Quote
I went from having zero interest in the K-7 to 'gotta-buy-it' in a matter of minutes. Don't know exactly why.
Like you I was ambivalent because my K20D was such an upgrade from my *istDS. Then, I saw 10 seconds of Ned's video. My K20D was listed for sale within hours.
06-08-2009, 07:39 PM   #88
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr. The Guy Quote
Like you I was ambivalent because my K20D was such an upgrade from my *istDS. Then, I saw 10 seconds of Ned's video. My K20D was listed for sale within hours.
*istDS is a capable little camera, but a *istDS ---> K-7 upgrade would be mind blowing for anyone upgrading 3 levels.

I'm still not convinced the K20D --> K-7 upgrade is worth it for me, but I await the user experiences before ruling it out.

06-09-2009, 03:14 PM   #89
Veteran Member

Perfect analogy

QuoteOriginally posted by smc Quote
Depends on what you are looking for I guess....I don't like Canon or Nikon.....nice enough cameras but they just seem weird...

I just preordered....after waiting for bargains for my previous K10d and my current K20d....this is the first one I've wanted to buy out of the gate. After all....I need something to use for 6 months before FF comes out right?

now I need to post my k20d and battery grip.....

They do seem wierd. Pentax and Sony/KM really have the best DSLRs overall. They never seemed weird to me at all.

C
06-09-2009, 03:19 PM   #90
Zav
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by legacyb4 Quote
Make that Subaru, Pentax, and Apple!
As a Subaru, Apple, Pentax user, I agree ^^