Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-22-2009, 06:31 AM   #31
Forum Member

K7 the new LX? Ummm no.. The new digital LX atleast compete with pro bodies form canon/nikon.. Heck, there wasn't any AF LX in film era, mz-s was close, but wasnt either.. I guess pentax not interested in 'pro' market

05-22-2009, 05:51 PM   #32
DAP

Considering that the K7 has only been out for a couple of days I'd say it is a bit premature to judge whether or not the K7 is the next LX

In all fairness I doubt that any digital SLR (regardless of maker) will acheive LX-like (or Nikon F, F2, Olympus OM, Canon F1, etc) status until digital technology matures and stabilizes a bit. As long as DSLRs have production life spans of one year or less it will hard for any digital camera model (no matter how good) to be remembered as being anything special. You can debate the pros/cons of the LX until you are blue in the face but one fact that cannot be argued is that part of the LX mystique is due to it's LONG production life (the LX was produced for 20 years in one form or another). As good as the K7 is (or isn't) I can guarantee that there will be a better Pentax model released in a year or so.
05-22-2009, 05:59 PM   #33
Forum Member

What? 20years? Thats the K1000, not the LX cmiiw
05-22-2009, 06:21 PM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by irchan Quote
What? 20years? Thats the K1000, not the LX cmiiw

Ummm.....

The LX was produced from 1980 - 1997, a product life cycle of over 17 years.

Pentax LX - Index Page / Modern Classics

"In 1980, shortly after Nikon introduced the third generation of the Nikon F3-series system camera, Asahi Optical Co. Ltd. Japan rocked the photographic community by introducing a pin-sized, jewel-like professional class system camera on their own, the Pentax LX to take on the might of Nikon, Canon, Olympus and others. The year was also coincided with Pentax's 60th anniversary. Asahi Pentax, one of the longest and most respectful trade name and camera manufacturing business in the business. Some of its original concept and features found in the LX camera was truly original, functional and very practical. It has also proved to be an immensely successful SLR camera commercially and it remained in production until 1997. Throughout the product life cycle of 17 years, the camera has exhibited its true strength as a first rated professional class SLR system camera and created a huge following around the globe."

05-22-2009, 06:38 PM   #35
DAP

...If you count the fancy-pants chrome LX2000 that would make 20 years.
05-22-2009, 06:45 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
might be, might be.. i tend to disagree that digital is not yet mature, i think it is pretty damn close. looking at the k20d, i could see myself shooting it for a few years (maybe even a decade) without having to appologize. sure they will make better sensors (and that's where the big difference lies opposed to film -- if you get the sensor as a replaceable part, somehow, the k10d would be immortal already, imho, and the k-7, judging by the specs, even more so). i think the race is about to slow down, and it might be that reliability, ruggedness, solid ergonomy and features "that matter" will be the new game. it might also be that we will look back on this period we are going through now and find it the turning point, when everybody started shooting and stopped pixel peeping, because there wasn't much to peep at anymore (no more MP race, no more revolutionary sensors), and the time were people started to hang on to their cameras, once again, the time when putting out a camera meant making a milestone camera, or a forgetable one, and in that case, pentax might have hit the nail on the head with the "new lx". or it might be that that's not the case at all, and i am dreaming

x-sync: get a powershot with "electronic" shutter, and stop complaining. 1/180 over 1/250 is plain lame, get over it. yeah, there's a difference, so what? these are focal plane shutters, we used to admit you need leaf shutters for really fast strobbing, and really fast action (yeah, ricehigh is right, x-sync matters for fast action too, flash or no flash, for obvious reasons), now everybody seems to think a reliable 1/250 vertical travel shutter is something any kid can design. these are mechanics, there are limits. as ratmagilady said, we used to have, 1/60 x-sync (even 1/30, i still have that particular camera, right now in the room with me), "back in the days", and we weren't so desperate about how slow it is (and horizontal travel, too), now everybody has fast vertical travel shutters, for cheap, and reliable ones too, we have gained a lot; don't expect much more though, physics are in the way for now (along with priorities: if the race stops -- see above -- we might see somebody investing in faster, more reliable shutters, or maybe even cheap and reliable in-lens shutters, for special needs, for dslrs (how about using those powerzoom contacts, heh?)), but don't hold your breath.
05-22-2009, 06:51 PM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DAP Quote
...If you count the fancy-pants chrome LX2000 that would make 20 years.
We'll know the K-7 is the modern LX when there is a limited run of titanium, silver-black or gold-plated bodies with special finder and matching 31 Ltd.
05-22-2009, 09:04 PM   #38
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DAP Quote
In all fairness I doubt that any digital SLR (regardless of maker) will acheive LX-like (or Nikon F, F2, Olympus OM, Canon F1, etc) status until digital technology matures and stabilizes a bit. As long as DSLRs have production life spans of one year or less it will hard for any digital camera model (no matter how good) to be remembered as being anything special. You can debate the pros/cons of the LX until you are blue in the face but one fact that cannot be argued is that part of the LX mystique is due to it's LONG production life (the LX was produced for 20 years in one form or another). As good as the K7 is (or isn't) I can guarantee that there will be a better Pentax model released in a year or so.
Well said! However, some DSLRs will be remembered as benchmarks eg. cameras such as the original Rebel and the D40 brought the DSLR to the masses. Maybe the K-7 will be remembered for establishing some trends (HDR in body, smaller high spec APS-C bodies). Still, I agree its hard for any DSLR to become 'legendary' like the film classics listed above.

05-23-2009, 02:32 AM   #39
Forum Member

Ow okay, i tought only k1000 last that long, i was wrong then he he
05-23-2009, 02:32 AM   #40

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Here's a link to the Mir.com site on the Pentax LX. I wouldn't say YET that the K-7 is as ground-breaking as the LX was, but the potential to build out the concept/connection is all there. If you haven't read the LX history, put aside an hour and read the entire 252 entries.
Thanks for the link. I have those LX pages bookmarked already, and have read some of them before. I've got an LX and can confirm what a fantastic camera it is.

In fact, it's my favourite
05-23-2009, 04:33 AM   #41
Forum Member

K7 Film/sensor plane indicator

One of the more subtle changes on the K7 is that for the first time on a Pentax (at least in 35mm and APS-C formats), this Pentax has a film plane marker (or in this case sensor plane) on the top plate. Even the LX did not have this. The British Journal of Photography's otherwise glowing in-depth review of the LX when it was new commented that it was an odd omission for a pro-spec camera.