Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-21-2009, 01:57 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Could the K-7 be the new LX??

The K-7 certainly seems to have excited a lot of people and the specs, build, design etc all seem really good. So do the members think that based on what we know so far, that the K-7 could be Pentax's LX for the digital era (at least for now).

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this so the mods are free to move it if they like

05-21-2009, 02:03 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Yes, the LX has a slow X-sync! ;=)

QuoteOriginally posted by carlb Quote
The K-7 certainly seems to have excited a lot of people and the specs, build, design etc all seem really good. So do the members think that based on what we know so far, that the K-7 could be Pentax's LX for the digital era (at least for now).

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this so the mods are free to move it if they like
of 1/75s

Now, people suggested that the K-7 is even a bit slower than the bottom-of-line Canon DSLR, the 1000D, which has a 1/200s X-sync.
05-21-2009, 03:28 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
of 1/75s

Now, people suggested that the K-7 is even a bit slower than the bottom-of-line Canon DSLR, the 1000D, which has a 1/200s X-sync.
Come on, how many people will use flash and that sync? I am trying to avoid flash use at all costs as it degrades photography ... I am sure that sometimes you simply have to use is you can still HSS cant you?
05-21-2009, 03:33 AM   #4
and
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by feronovak Quote
Come on, how many people will use flash and that sync? I am trying to avoid flash use at all costs as it degrades photography ... I am sure that sometimes you simply have to use is you can still HSS cant you?
Flash degrades photography? wow most proffessional portrait photography are examples of degraded photography, i did not know.

can just use HSS...

seems x sync is the most misunderstood feature of dslrs, dont we have a knowledge base article on this...

05-21-2009, 04:12 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by and Quote
can just use HSS...

seems x sync is the most misunderstood feature of dslrs, dont we have a knowledge base article on this...
I've seen many people (not necessarily here) under the misconception that the x-sync speed is the best motion-stopping speed the camera is capable of getting from a flash. But of course if the ambient light isn't significant for the aperture/ISO you've selected, it's only the flash pulse duration that matters.
05-21-2009, 04:14 AM   #6
Veteran Member

HSS degrades flash output power by more than half and they consume much battery energy!
05-21-2009, 04:15 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
I've seen many people (not necessarily here) under the misconception that the x-sync speed is the best motion-stopping speed the camera is capable of getting from a flash. But of course if the ambient light isn't significant for the aperture/ISO you've selected, it's only the flash pulse duration that matters.
X-sync is the best motion-stopping speed for *ambient* light shooting! Believe it or not!

05-21-2009, 04:17 AM   #8
and
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
that is correct.
one thing i keep seeing is people who think hss is a substitute for fast x sync when hss doesnt have the power, the motion stopping capabilities or simply the compatibilities (studio strobes, triggering via pocket wizards etcetcetcetc) that regular x sync does.
05-21-2009, 05:26 AM   #9

I think is in the MZ-S class, not quite the LX class.

LX with a waist finder probably goes for the same amount in the used market as a MZ-S right now. Which one would you pick, I pick the LX.
05-21-2009, 07:23 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by and Quote
Flash degrades photography? wow most proffessional portrait photography are examples of degraded photography, i did not know.

can just use HSS...

But that is very specific kind of photography do you agree? As well as wedding photography. This camera is aimed at outdoor activity and frankly you dont need flash in these situations ...
05-21-2009, 07:44 AM   #11
Veteran Member

"This camera is aimed at outdoor activity and frankly you dont need flash in these situations ..."

I would tend to agree with you. I own both a K10D and a K20D and have never used the flash. Perhaps Pentax's ideal market is not fashion/portrait with flash photography.

I'm not big on the DPR reveiws (really a person should just try a camera out themselves to see if it's right for them) but I think the reviewer is correct about this:

"Its spec isn't quite what the rumors might have suggested, but it still manages to look an awful lot like the wish-list of most enthusiast photographers (though one based in reality, rather than the increasingly surreal suggestions being churned out by the rumor mill)."

A camera can't be all things to all photographers.

And I still say the real value of the Pentax brand is in the following:

1) Construction. Great for outdoor photography where you could drop it.
2) Backward compatibility of lenses. This is a big plus for me because I like buying and trying a lot of lenses and I'm not rich. Each one has a different characteristics. The goal of photography really shouldn't be that every lens takes exactly the same photo. Where's the fun in that?
3) New digital lens selection. I don't think Nikon or Cannon have anything like the little DA 15, 21, 40, and 70. Again those lenses aren't for everyone, but if you like going out and walking around taking pictures they are great. I have the 40 and the 21. I will be getting the 15 and the 70 soon. I much rather have those than a huge zoom lens. But that's my preference strictly so the Pentax system is perfect for me. I have no issues with changing the lens.

In the end Pentax is not going to be a camera for everyone.

And.....I cannot wait to get the K 7. My niece is getting into photography and I'm going to give her my K 10, with a heavy heart. But....she only gets the kit lens!
05-21-2009, 07:48 AM   #12

But that is very specific kind of photography do you agree? As well as wedding photography. This camera is aimed at outdoor activity and frankly you dont need flash in these situations ...
I'm am one of those that needs it! I do weddings and indoor portraits. I was so happy when they put it on the 20.
05-21-2009, 08:21 AM   #13
and
Veteran Member

you need fast x sync more outdoors than indoors, indoors the ambient is controllable unless its coming in through the windows (in which case you can close the curtains) but outdoors you cannot control the ambient directly, but you can control it with the shutter speed which only affects the ambient and not the flash exposure, this is a very powerfull situation where you control 2 exposures in 1 image and and choose to, say, if you are taking a picture of someone, to let the background be 1 stop darker than the person, or 3 stops if you so choose, brighter if you want high key.

once you are at your highest x sync then your only option is to do a power battle with the sun by reducing iso and increasing aperture and flash output power, often if you are using a hotshoe flash then you will be loosing this battle.

the people who say flash ruins a photograph, I have been there too, but the truth is if it does then you are not using it correctly. homework for you guys is to read strobist
05-21-2009, 09:20 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Shooting *outdoor wedding* does require daylight fill flash!
05-21-2009, 09:23 AM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
Shooting *outdoor wedding* does require daylight fill flash!
you ignored my ideas on purpose .... this is not wedding camera, get a d700 for professional weddings ...