Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-21-2009, 08:10 AM   #1
Inactive Account

D-BG4, no space for remote or memory card?

I'm wondering what they use the space for? Now with HD Video I could very much use the extra space of 2 memory cards. But I can't seem to find anything that indicates the grip being capable of anything other than lots of batteries?

05-21-2009, 08:12 AM   #2
and
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
if you are not using the AA tray then u can put an sd card for storage in there, if you are using the AA tray then you cannot store anything.

remote cannot be stored in any configuration
05-21-2009, 08:21 AM   #3
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Arrrg. I do however have a solution for the memory cards, remotes, flash shoe cover and VF cover. Grab a PZ xx model camera off Ebay for $10-15 and make sure it includes the original strap. These had a pocket on each end of the wide neck section of the strap. I have 4 of them from various purchases and have put them on my 3 D-SLR's. They are just big enough for 1 or 2 SD cards, They will hold the covers and there might be enough room to squeeze a remote in an empty one. I'll test it.

If that doesn't fit. Grab one of those strap pouches for film canisters that are still sold on Ebay. Perfect for a few small items like this.
05-21-2009, 08:24 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Just on a visual from the photos, it appears that the K7 grip is not so bulky as the BG2. To lose the storage (which I like) with the purpose of making the grip more "grippy" per the MZ-S grip (which I love) would be a very fair trade-off. The BG-2 is one of the worst grips I've ever felt and other than the storage is really not that desireable. It appears that the BG-4 is designed to address the drawbacks of the BG-2. Storage was nice, but a card and F remote are small enough to fit into any storage system or even in a lens bag with a lens. It's actually easier to take a card out of a bag and install it without moving the camera from the tripod than to remove the tray and retrieve it from the BG-2. I'll bet we all live through the lost storage and learn to enjoy what appears to be a much more ergonomic grip.

PS the card storage in the BG-2 was imperfect and it was possible to destroy cards by not clicking them fully into the slot. I ruined a Sandisk Extreme III the very first time I installed it and learned this lesson the hard way.

05-21-2009, 08:27 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Nice point Peter, I've always removed the straps from my cameras so I have a few PZ1p straps laying around...I'll have to tinker with them a bit. Probably won't convince me to add straps, but I'd better check and see.
05-21-2009, 09:15 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Hmmm...

That little area was convenient although not necessary. Best Buy stocks (stocked?) a little hard-sided Lowepro memory card wallet with a stainless steel top. For $10, it holds 8 SD cards in a space slimmer than my regular money/cards/receipts wallet. Just an FYI if you have $5 or $10 in Rewards Zone cash

I would call this a "nit" IMO...I'm definitely not dissuaded from the grip
05-21-2009, 09:28 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I noticed mention of remote and SD storage was missing when I first read the "specs" of the D-BG4 and it concerned me a little. But now having a whole day to digest all things K-7 (ha!), and think about the functionality of the D-BG2... you know, it really is a pain in the gluteus maximus retrieving the spare SD and remote F from their cubbies in the BG2. And as Ron mentions, if you're not careful you can crush an SD or damage the tray if you don't seat it properly. All my bags have card pockets and Tenba graciously includes SD wallets with their bags too. Honestly, those are more handy than the storage tray in the grip. The utility of the "missing" AF and ISO buttons and the versatility of the AA option far outweighs the not-so-handy accy storage, in my newly found opinion.