Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-23-2009, 12:33 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K7 with articulated screen

Basically identical spec but with an articulated screen. This may mean the screen gets reduced in size by a tiny amount.

Naming of the camera would be difficult but it would mean all internals could be reused lowering production costs.

I'd suggest identical headline RRP.

I also assume a K200D replacement is on the cards.

HowieB

05-23-2009, 12:48 AM   #32
Veteran Member

- A useful firmware update for the K20D to bring in some items from the K-7.
- A DA* 12 mm F 2.8 Weather Sealed.
- A DA* 100 mm F 2 Macro Weather Sealed.
- And, perhaps, implementing the macro function in their top range zooms like the 16-50 mm F 2.8 and the 50-135 mm F 2.8.

BTW, are the Limited lenses Weather Sealed?
05-23-2009, 12:59 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
I think Pentax has too many lines between $600 and $1300 and will eventually merge the Knnnn and Knnn lines into one, leaving:

Knnnn - $500-$600
Knn - $800-900 (the K20d successor?)
Kn - $1300
That still leaves room for a very cheap entry level... we will see those by all manufacturers.
I think your Knn should be a Knnn as a K200D line model but I dare say the next one in that line surpasses the current K20D. Knnnn will be more along the K200D now. That leaves for an ultra cheap Pentax PK introduction K dslr which will cost not much and even less to produce. but will be marketed as a kiddie camera... To get kids into dslr's.
There is no use in a beginner dslr for grown up men, they want something complicated with many knobs and dials, they want something that looks intersting, maybe the kiddy camera in a new body, with many buttons.
Naah, grown up men will go in for the K200D and successors straight away
05-23-2009, 03:11 AM   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by janneman Quote
There is no use in a beginner dslr for grown up men, they want something complicated with many knobs and dials, they want something that looks intersting, maybe the kiddy camera in a new body, with many buttons.
Naah, grown up men will go in for the K200D and successors straight away
You'd be surprised

05-23-2009, 06:09 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by philippe Quote
BTW, are the Limited lenses Weather Sealed?
No. Pentax has stated the small size precludes this. I don't quite understand that myself since adding a gasket would not add to the size. Some other internal seals might, very slightly.
05-23-2009, 06:29 AM   #36

A FF DSLR (featuring a Samsung CMOS sensor) with an articulating screen please! New D FA lenses and roadmap for said camera!
05-24-2009, 03:55 AM   #37
Forum Member

Somone (Sylwiusz) on polish Pentax forum suggested that an update to K-m is coming this year. I don't know if its addition to k200d update ar the same camera.
He's been right before, so I would say he is onto something.

Marcin
05-24-2009, 04:36 AM   #38
ogl
Pentaxian

A lot of unreal fantasies here.

I have info that K-m could be changed this year.
I can see upgrade K-m in several ways.

1. add manual selection of AF points and make it visible in VF
2. make splash resistance for K-m super, lower level than K10D/20D/K-7.

3. put CMOS sensor (new CMOS Samsung (who knows) or Sony 12.2 MP) (3.5-4 fps) and add some features from K-7 in K-m super.

What will Pentax choose?

Then - Pentax plan to start to sale new camera between K-m and K-7 close to November.

Last edited by ogl; 05-24-2009 at 04:56 AM.
05-24-2009, 04:38 AM   #39
Pentaxian

I'd put a Sony 12MP (for marketing sake) with Video in K-m Super and the 14Mpix from the K-7 in a 'K300D' but 3fps only.
05-24-2009, 04:59 AM   #40
ogl
Pentaxian

Yes. I doubt 14.6 MP in new K-m too.
It could be SONY 12.2 or maybe new sensor from Samsung with lower MP.

I don't see any problem to make new CMOS sensor. 12 MP and 3.5 fps could be enough
05-24-2009, 05:18 AM   #41
ogl
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by marcinski Quote
Somone (Sylwiusz) on polish Pentax forum suggested that an update to K-m is coming this year. I don't know if its addition to k200d update ar the same camera.
He's been right before, so I would say he is onto something.

Marcin
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/61078-no-k200d-k-m-sto...continued.html

maybe he is right.
05-24-2009, 06:01 AM   #42
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
I don't see any problem to make new CMOS sensor. 12 MP and 3.5 fps could be enough
I doubt Pentax/Samsung would engage the R&D dollars into producing a new sensor with less Mpix. If they don't , Sony is the only alternative AFAIK.
05-24-2009, 06:51 AM   #43
Veteran Member

A K6 without the video for 2/3 the price of the K7 would have my vote...
05-24-2009, 07:33 AM   #44
ogl
Pentaxian

I also think that Pentax should make expensive lenses.
DA*30/1.4 SDM
DA*135/2 SDM
05-24-2009, 09:17 AM   #45
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by esman7 Quote
A lot of people keep mentioning the K30d, but don't you guys think that whatever the successor to the K20d is already pretty much the k7?

The changes made would be too small to market a completely different product line. The K7 is the most updated "enthusiast" model, so we really have to look up a segment, or down a segment. The k200d needs to be replaced and the K-m is relatively new, so it'll probably be a washed down version of the k7 (ie. plastic body, smaller size... etc...)

Even if they would release a k30d, wouldn't you expect it to be too soon?

My view is limited on all this, so ask me again in 18 months and I'll disagree with what i've said now... at that point.

Well, I think Pentax is well-positioned to be primarily an enthusiast-*brand.* The K7 is now in the 1200ish dollar price range, ...the K20's been selling in the 6-700 dollar price range, and for an enthusiast with only that kind of money, still kicks a lot of tail, if not being the only real wantable thing. It's a solid design, and most of the R&D is done and paid for: (which is the reason cameras are more expensive just when they come back: they want to get a return on that investment while people are psyched and impatient) the most expensive thing about it compared to a K200d is the glass pentaprism, and guess who just got bought by the world's biggest manufacturer of optical glass.

So I wouldn't rule out a K30d as the new intermediate-price camera: no one else has quite the same opportunity: With the K7 you could be paying for the extra features and smallerness and metal-ness: there's enough there to distinguish, even if they speed up the K30d on certain well-known issues, and instead of making the intermediate price range 'Max bells and whistles and still no serious photo people basics' ...it could be the 'Here's the solid student/working camera you can afford.' The 'here's the pickup truck you need' camera.

They must be looking to weather-seal the K-M, not to mention stay as caught-up as they can, I'd think, just cause it's an easy way to stand out in the entry-level/P&S upgrader market.

Instead of a K200d (I think that range no longer needs to be dumbed-down-for-point-and-shoot upgraders, since there are now models expressly *for* that market...just maybe they could do something to get the ones who'd like to maybe-get-more-serious-someday-and-can I have video?' crowd, but I dunno. )

Sounds to me like there is going to be another model rolled out late this year, and it doesn't sound quite as buzz-worthy as the K-7 so far. Whatever it is, it must already be in the pipeline, and my suspicion is it'll be an update of an existing model, maybe with a restyle.

Of course, late in the year means holiday-shopping season. Probably not a bad time to roll out something consumer-friendly with video.