Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-24-2009, 01:42 PM   #46

QuoteOriginally posted by beaumont Quote
A K6 without the video for 2/3 the price of the K7 would have my vote...
Considering a considerable number of advanced DSLR shooters have no desire for video, I don't think it's worth 1/3 of the price. Maybe a 8% discount. Taking out the video alone and selling it for 2/3 will instantly kill the K7. It'll be a stupid move.

If 1/3 of the price needs to be cut from the K7, it'll probably become a camera without at least one of the following: the 100% finder, magnesium body, 5.2 fps, top status LCD, or 2 dials.

05-24-2009, 01:58 PM   #47
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by beaumont:
A K6 without the video for 2/3 the price of the K7 would have my vote...
QuoteOriginally posted by wolfier Quote
Considering a considerable number of advanced DSLR shooters have no desire for video, I don't think it's worth 1/3 of the price. Maybe a 8% discount.
Actually, I don't think taking out the video would have ANY savings in manufacturing cost AT ALL. So you remove a stop in the mode dial? That's about IT!

Most of the cost of video implementation is in the software; all the hardware and image processing electronics are required by Live View and the need for increase in speed to deal with 5.2fps anyways.

So, no, I don't think there is any hardware cost saving in removing the video. And you end up with a model that won't sell.

As for getting the K-7 at 2/3 the price? Just wait a year and you wish would be granted
05-25-2009, 05:39 AM   #48

QuoteOriginally posted by Wombat Quote
I'm surprised no-one has suggested more lenses at the telephoto end, an area where Canon and Nikon traditionally have always had an advantage. I'd love to see Pentax come out with something to tempt wildlife and sports shooters over from other brands - a nice fast 400, 500, 600.
I agree, give us details on the Super Telephoto on the Roadmap, and get the Teleconverter back on track. We have the cameras and lots of lenses in the wide to short telephoto area, the big gap is in the long lens department.
05-25-2009, 07:21 AM   #49

QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
Actually, I don't think taking out the video would have ANY savings in manufacturing cost AT ALL. So you remove a stop in the mode dial? That's about IT!

Most of the cost of video implementation is in the software; all the hardware and image processing electronics are required by Live View and the need for increase in speed to deal with 5.2fps anyways.

So, no, I don't think there is any hardware cost saving in removing the video. And you end up with a model that won't sell.

As for getting the K-7 at 2/3 the price? Just wait a year and you wish would be granted
That's what I agree, that taking out video and cut the price by 1/3 simply does not make sense.

Even if it cuts manufacturing cost, I firmly believe that price should be set by demand and supply, not manufacturing cost.

i.e. who cares if the hypothetical video-free K-7 costs less to make than the K-7 with video - if the demand is higher it should be priced higher - until the desired inventory flow is reached, period.

05-25-2009, 09:30 AM   #50
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Before Christmas.
K20 are the (temporary?) replacement for K200,
but are K70 coming this winter or a much more
economic for Pentax, a K20 Super or K30,
same body with better liveview and video at the same price.
Or no video but better performance at the ~same price.

A K-m super with Samsung 14Mp sensor with liveview/video.

Early 2010 a 645D

And of course a teleconverter,
DA10/4, DA18/2, DA28/1,2, DA100/1,8 or DA135/2,
or perhaps a DA135/4 limited, DA400/5,6 mirror,
DA500/5,6.
And DA of Tokina zooms, 11-16/2,8 and 80-400.

Perhaps also a DFA17-18mm for tilt/shift sensor.

Last edited by Bophoto; 05-25-2009 at 09:36 AM.
05-25-2009, 09:42 AM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MSM Quote
2. Quick update of the K-m to include weather sealing. I know that others will say we need to update the Kx0d. To me, though, it will be a tough sell to have a 30D and the new K7 marketed at the same time. Also, Pentax needs to focus on getting new users interested in the brand again.

3. I would have the K-m include the 18-55 WR with an option for a dual kit with the 50-200WR.
K-m won't be updated with weather sealing, this would cost to much + it would make the camera larger. To update the K-m with weather sealing, it simply needs to be redesigned. The intention of the K-m is to have the worlds most compact and lightest DSLR package. With weather sealed K-m plus weather sealed lens, this intention falls apart.

However, there will be a new camera in-between the K-7 and the K-m, and this will be weather sealed. It will be a sort of K-7 "junior" with less functions, a simplified user interface, simpler shutter, and with more plastic body, and sell for a lower price than the K-7. This camera will be weather sealed and sold in a kit with the 18-55 WR lens.