Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-21-2009, 08:16 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What's next Pentax move?

The K7 is out and looks like it will be a big hit. I am curious what you all here think would be the next move(s) to keep the momentum going and encourage sales of all Pentax models. Here are my thoughts:

1. Market, Market, Market the K7 and the features of weather sealing, etc.

2. Quick update of the K-m to include weather sealing. I know that others will say we need to update the Kx0d. To me, though, it will be a tough sell to have a 30D and the new K7 marketed at the same time. Also, Pentax needs to focus on getting new users interested in the brand again.

3. I would have the K-m include the 18-55 WR with an option for a dual kit with the 50-200WR.

4. I would also have a "limited" edition K-m that includes the 18-55 WR and the 40 mm limited lens. Pentax needs to take a page out of the Tobacco industry and start getting new users addicted to prime limited lenses! Then when they see how great the lens is they will consider say the DA 70mm for children's portraits as opposed to buying a 3rd party Tamron 28-75 or 17-50, etc.

Just my thoughts...

p.s. if Ned is reading this and Pentax likes it, I would be glad to accept a K-7

05-21-2009, 08:34 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
i think you hit the nail on the head with adding a kit including a 40mm ltd...sure pentax has made some decent bodies in the past but what makes pentax pentax is the limited lenses. The 40mm ltd is the logical entry drug (continuing your analogy) to the limited line as its affordable and offers an interesting perspective and its pancake design has that interesting factor most other lenses lack.
05-21-2009, 08:38 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MSM Quote
The K7 is out and looks like it will be a big hit. I am curious what you all here think would be the next move(s) to keep the momentum going and encourage sales of all Pentax models. Here are my thoughts:

1. Market, Market, Market the K7 and the features of weather sealing, etc.

2. Quick update of the K-m to include weather sealing. I know that others will say we need to update the Kx0d. To me, though, it will be a tough sell to have a 30D and the new K7 marketed at the same time. Also, Pentax needs to focus on getting new users interested in the brand again.

3. I would have the K-m include the 18-55 WR with an option for a dual kit with the 50-200WR.

4. I would also have a "limited" edition K-m that includes the 18-55 WR and the 40 mm limited lens. Pentax needs to take a page out of the Tobacco industry and start getting new users addicted to prime limited lenses! Then when they see how great the lens is they will consider say the DA 70mm for children's portraits as opposed to buying a 3rd party Tamron 28-75 or 17-50, etc.

Just my thoughts...

p.s. if Ned is reading this and Pentax likes it, I would be glad to accept a K-7
A "Limited" camera (LX heir?) to match the lens line.
05-21-2009, 08:42 PM   #4
Veteran Member

The K-7 is what would have been the replacement Kx0d. (Not just my guess - JohnCPentax basically says the same thing on the dpreview forums.)

I think it's pretty obvious that the K200D is next for an update. It'll get some K-7-like features in a body that's closer to the K-m. And my guess is it'll be called K-[someletter].

I'd be surprised if there's a K-m weather-sealed version soon. I think the important thing there is to have a model that competes at the vicious entry-level price range. (Ideally, under $400 for body-only.)

The K200D replacement can be priced above that and add weather sealing and some new K-7 goodies — aimed to compete with the Canon T1i.

I totally agree with you on the K-m/40mm kit. I wonder how Olympus's E-420 + 25mm pancake kit is selling. (That lens isn't in the same class as the DA 40mm Limited, though, sadly.)

As for what I want, it's still that DA★ 30mm.

05-21-2009, 09:01 PM   #5
Veteran Member

K-m is nor weather sealed. Where's the point to sell it with weather sealed lenses.

It is clear that Pentax from now on will produce two versions of DA 18-55mm and DA 50-200mm. L version for KM and WR version for their weather sealed bodies.

By the way, I mean that WR lenses are marketed together with K-7, however real purpose of those lenses is to be kit lenses for upcoming weather sealed K200D replacement. current WR lenses are not in the same league as K-7.

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
A "Limited" camera (LX heir?) to match the lens line.
In my opinion K-7 is that camera for Limited lenses.
05-21-2009, 10:04 PM   #6

A DP2 fighter
05-21-2009, 11:37 PM   #7

Pentax needs to take a page out of the Tobacco industry and start getting new users addicted to prime limited lenses!

the Tobacco industry got users addicated to prime limited lenses????

I would have thought cigarettes would have been more their thing....

Ned - can I have the K7 you were gonna give to him ??

05-21-2009, 11:40 PM   #8
ogl
Banned

645D - winter/spring 2009/2010.
FF - 2011.
05-22-2009, 12:08 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Umm

work on faster AF (yep, even if it is good, irta can always be better and no harm in that)
more accurate AF (ditto)
More fps (not for me but there are too many whining about it to ignore
true tilt/shift sensor
in built speaker for those who prefer to hear a mirror slapping
cupholder and coffeemachine
05-22-2009, 01:12 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Whats Next Pentax Move..

Bishop to K7.. I mean Nulla to K7 and checkmate

Neil
05-22-2009, 02:24 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Bring out K30D later this year.

Bring out 645D lenses.

Develop full frame model, to be released in a few years.

EDIT: I also want to see a 30mm f/1.4 or faster. This, on an APS-C sensor will be like a standard lens from back in the film days.

And I want more FA limited lenses!! None of this slow DA limited poop, some real fast glass that can be used for 35mm film.
05-22-2009, 06:55 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Next model between K-m and K-7 or above K-7?

Is it unquestionable that the next model release is another step up from K-7? I mean, keeping the K20 in production a while until the K-7 price stabilizes don't leave a too large price slot to place a new camera in. With a K-m Super even less so.

Maybe a larger body with 1.1x VF and that overlay thing that buzzed the rumour section here just recently? Still crop sensor of course.
05-22-2009, 08:03 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Amen to that -- I just upgraded from the kit lens to the DA40 today, and I've been stunned by the difference, both in IQ and general handling.

What I'd like to see next -- and I know that many will vehemently disapprove -- is a sister to the K7 with similar internals, less of an emphasis on weather sealing, and an articulated LCD screen. It wouldn't cost much for Pentax to develop a body like this, and this option would appeal to those shooters like myself who are not likely to take their precious precious SLRs into adverse environments, and would appreciate the extra flexibility of an articulated screen.

I'll stand by now while you gather your collective rotten tomatoes ....

Oh, and I too would like to join the chorus of those who would like to see OpenEXR output from HDR pictures. It only seems logical!
05-22-2009, 08:51 AM   #14
Veteran Member

k200 upgrade

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
The K-7 is what would have been the replacement Kx0d. (Not just my guess - JohnCPentax basically says the same thing on the dpreview forums.)

I think it's pretty obvious that the K200D is next for an update. It'll get some K-7-like features in a body that's closer to the K-m. And my guess is it'll be called K-[someletter].

I'd be surprised if there's a K-m weather-sealed version soon. I think the important thing there is to have a model that competes at the vicious entry-level price range. (Ideally, under $400 for body-only.)

The K200D replacement can be priced above that and add weather sealing and some new K-7 goodies — aimed to compete with the Canon T1i.
Yes, a k200 replacement with LiveView and Video is what's next.

I would be surprised about a K20 upgrade in a K20 sized body. The k200 replacement will have the specs of an upgraded K20, but in a smaller body.

I'm worried for those who wish for a bigger body. The 645D or perhaps an FF model if all goes well, but also a lot more money....
05-22-2009, 08:52 AM   #15
Veteran Member

What I'd like to see...

1) Bring out the 645 right away, and sub $5,000.00 - a one-two punch to Canikosopanoly. Give a bunch out to pros who are currently shooting other makes - they'd be devastated.

2) Update the K20 to a K30 Super (250 flash sync to stop the whining....)

3) New K300D

4) more Krazy Kolours KM'z fur da kidz hoo kant spel

5) Start the rumour mill whirring about the upcoming K5 - 3 - 1 pro with Holographic heads-up-display viewfinders and F1 or better lenses

5) A DA* 135 f2.8 for me please! Or a weather sealed Limited 135 f1.9162548937

6) Put Benzy-can back on the payroll for his stunning photography and apologize to him - hire me to do the music for his grand reinstallation ceremony, rent the Louvre for the event, etc...

Cheers,
Cameron