Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-22-2009, 11:09 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery | Albums
With all technologies, whatever you buy today will be obsolete tomorrow; and you still will have bills to pay.

Wait until the release date (of a few weeks after), and if there's no clues/rumors concerning new FF body and/or new lenses to support FF, then upgrade to K7.

05-22-2009, 11:16 AM   #17

Please, not another FF thread
05-22-2009, 11:16 AM   #18
Inactive Account

no...

QuoteOriginally posted by xxxxx Quote
I missed one point I think. Another advantage of FF in low light situation is that it offers larger DOF, contributing better clarity of an indoor scene.
Nope, FF offers smaller depth of field. You need to stop down quite a bit more to get a depth of field similar to APS-C.

QuoteQuote:
But in the end, I can't justify the expense of getting a FF. Not only camera's more expensive, so are lenses, they are also much bigger. So I guess FF is for professional Studio/indoor low light shoots?
Lenses aren't necessarily bigger, especially telephoto lenses. For the mostpart this holds true though.
05-22-2009, 11:30 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tsmith Quote
HiThe specs on the K-7 are great but i might wait for the K-8 which i heard is going to be Full Frame
There will be NO Pentax FF, period.
I hesitate to say never; but I just don't see the FF market would ever grow to the point that Pentax would bother.

There would be even less chance of a FF once 645D becomes a reality.

So there, you decision won't be hard after all

05-22-2009, 03:07 PM   #20
Banned

Wait for the Pentax 67D with 100mp.
05-22-2009, 04:11 PM   #21
Veteran Member

I missed one point I think. Another advantage of FF in low light situation is that it offers larger DOF, contributing better clarity of an indoor scene.

But in the end, I can't justify the expense of getting a FF. Not only camera's more expensive, so are lenses, they are also much bigger. So I guess FF is for professional Studio/indoor low light shoots?

I used to be a Canon shooting, buying those L lenses and was always preparing upgrading to FF when it's reasonably cheap. But then I realize I really don't want to carry those 77mm diameter lens like the 24-70mm f2.8 all day long.
As mentioned, FF actually gives you less DoF. The main uses seems to be event shooting (concerts etc), fashion and landscape. However, a lot of fashion and landscape has moved on to medium format, and I suspect more and more pros will do this once FF becomes cheap enough for the average amateur. And so the cycle will begin all over again.
05-22-2009, 05:55 PM   #22
Forum Member

But in the end, I can't justify the expense of getting a FF. Not only camera's more expensive, so are lenses, they are also much bigger.
Well.. FA lenses usually a lot smaller than DA, take 50mm f1.4 for example, the DA55 is so BIG i tought it was canon's he..he..

05-22-2009, 07:10 PM   #23
Forum Member

APS-H is more likely than a FF IMHO. With a lens database in place (like in the K-7), the camera can either crop or brighten the corners of DA lenses that don't quite reach the outer periphery. Consumers won't feel burdened to buy new FF lenses.

The camera wouldn't be too big either. Pentax is clearly obsessed with smaller sized cameras. I can do without the bulk of a FF body and would love to keep using my DA limiteds. The only issue is that the focal lengths would be rather random.
05-23-2009, 12:52 AM   #24

Photos: Gallery
My opinion.Don't hold your breath on a full frame in the near future.As far as purchasing a K7 I would wait to see how it performs at high iso's.If it matches the nikon d300 its a no brainer, buy it.As far as the price of the K7,there is nothing that nikon and canon has that will match this cameras performance and quality build,unless you want to spend thousands of dollars.
05-23-2009, 01:07 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by aaron.dobbin Quote
I was having a hard time deciding myself... being easily confused and disoriented by previous reviews that always left me with more questions than answers... that is until after I read this review and it all makes sense of everything else I'd read about the K7:

Pentax K-7: Hands-On Preview | Digital camera
Yes wonder I thou Yoda seek meaning true?