Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-22-2009, 06:26 AM   #1
Inactive Account

K-7 Hard Decision

Hi Everyone,

I've been following the K-7 release quite eagerly and am having a hard time deciding if its worth upgrading given how unstable the economy is and keeping up with the bills etc.....

The specs on the K-7 are great but i might wait for the K-8 which i heard is going to be Full Frame which would give a nice Depth of Field and alot less Noise at higher ISO and with 20 megapixel it would be brilliant.

I wonder if Pentax has made the right decision releasing the K7 at this time or should they have waited until the economy was a bit stronger?

I know its making my decision to get a K7 a bit harder! K-8 might be worth the wait.

Tim

05-22-2009, 06:42 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tsmith Quote
The specs on the K-7 are great but i might wait for the K-8 which i heard is going to be Full Frame
LOL. But in the meantime, you'll miss shots you could have gotten w/ the K-7 (no idea what you're upgrading from, but if it's the K10D or K20D, you can probably just wait a bit for the price to drop)...

p.s., I wouldn't bet on the K-8 being FF...
05-22-2009, 06:44 AM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Well at "bang for your buck" value in these economic conditions, I think Pentax are on a winner.

Pentax don't seem to be producing models as rapidly as many other manufacturers, so I'm getting the K-7 now, and will see where I am come the next model.
05-22-2009, 06:45 AM   #4
Veteran Member

or wait for the k-11 which is going to have a laser based 3d holographic recorder.

05-22-2009, 06:49 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
or wait for the k-11 which is going to have a laser based 3d holographic recorder.
Will it have faster flash sync?
05-22-2009, 06:57 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Despite how nice the K7 is, I'm holding off and saving my money for lenses. My k200d is still working great. If want to do sports photography the K7 might be worth it. At the very least wait until the camera has been reviewed by a few respected sites. You don't want to be a disappointed "early adopter" if weird problems start showing up. That and the price will eventually start to drop and then you can pounce if it is still what you want [need].

I most curious to see how the low-light/hi-ISO image quality turns out.
05-22-2009, 07:03 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tsmith Quote
Hi Everyone,

I've been following the K-7 release quite eagerly and am having a hard time deciding if its worth upgrading given how unstable the economy is and keeping up with the bills etc.....

Tim
Tim, I guess if we all decide to wait Pentax eventually will suffer indeed.
The state of our worldwide economy not only depends on how our banks and governments operate, by far more it is depending upon our spendings.
I'd say, get one and be happy with your new camera! I know I will as soon as anyone is capable delivering K-7's here in Holland.

- Bert

05-22-2009, 07:06 AM   #8
Veteran Member

You guys seem more knowledgeable about this than I am. Just curious:

1) How much of a price drop would you expect over the $1299 between now and December. I'm probably going to go ahead and get the K7, but I could see a scenario where I hold off and buy the 15mm. (I have a K 20).

2) On the full frame what are the real advantages (assuming you could make that in a $1500 or less price for the body) over the current sensor on the K7. I never shoot at over 400. Outside of the crop factor which I've learned to work with what would be the advantage for an ISO 100-400 shooter.

Thanks so much!

SK
05-22-2009, 07:18 AM   #9
Veteran Member

wrong thread
05-22-2009, 08:40 AM   #10

Decisions made easy...

I was having a hard time deciding myself... being easily confused and disoriented by previous reviews that always left me with more questions than answers... that is until after I read this review and it all makes sense of everything else I'd read about the K7:

www.picstips.com/pentax/pentax-k-7-hands-on-preview.html
05-22-2009, 08:52 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aaron.dobbin Quote
I was having a hard time deciding myself... being easily confused and disoriented by previous reviews that always left me with more questions than answers... that is until after I read this review and it all makes sense of everything else I'd read about the K7:

Pentax K-7: Hands-On Preview | Digital camera

The beauty of internet translation machines...
05-22-2009, 10:04 AM   #12
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stanleyk Quote
You guys seem more knowledgeable about this than I am. Just curious:

1) How much of a price drop would you expect over the $1299 between now and December. I'm probably going to go ahead and get the K7, but I could see a scenario where I hold off and buy the 15mm. (I have a K 20).
Less than $1000 bucks? At least in US, there normally would be large promotions during holiday season. One example, Microsoft was giving 30% off for ebay buy-it-now items on ebay last winter.
QuoteOriginally posted by stanleyk Quote
2) On the full frame what are the real advantages (assuming you could make that in a $1500 or less price for the body) over the current sensor on the K7. I never shoot at over 400. Outside of the crop factor which I've learned to work with what would be the advantage for an ISO 100-400 shooter.

Thanks so much!

SK
I don't really see advantage of FF if you don't go over 400. IMO, you don't need FF if you don't go over ISO 800-1600. Also I tend to dislike large file sizes. Unless you are doing large poster prints, they are useless. Even my 10M K200D images prints well at 11X17.
05-22-2009, 10:14 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nulla Quote
Will it have faster flash sync?

No, remember they are getting rid of the use of flashes in the K-9 model, the K-11 will have the new Instant Room Illuminessence. You just program your required light sources and it makes it happen automagically.
05-22-2009, 10:19 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by xxxxx Quote
Less than $1000 bucks? At least in US, there normally would be large promotions during holiday season. One example, Microsoft was giving 30% off for ebay buy-it-now items on ebay last winter.

I don't really see advantage of FF if you don't go over 400. IMO, you don't need FF if you don't go over ISO 800-1600. Also I tend to dislike large file sizes. Unless you are doing large poster prints, they are useless. Even my 10M K200D images prints well at 11X17.
I agree, there really aren't any advantages to full frame unless you shoot a lot in low light, or print huge sizes (>A3). With the recent introduction of several ultra wide-angles, the crop factor isn't that big of a deal either. In fact, if you shoot birds/wildlife it's an advantage, because you get longer reach at much cheaper prices and lower size/weight.
The main disadvantages of full frame are exactly that, price and size/weight. A Nikon D700 with a 24-70 f/2.8 zoom is quite a beast compared to the K-7 with a 16-50 f/2.8 (or a pancake lens!).
05-22-2009, 10:28 AM   #15
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by EricT Quote
I agree, there really aren't any advantages to full frame unless you shoot a lot in low light, or print huge sizes (>A3). With the recent introduction of several ultra wide-angles, the crop factor isn't that big of a deal either. In fact, if you shoot birds/wildlife it's an advantage, because you get longer reach at much cheaper prices and lower size/weight.
The main disadvantages of full frame are exactly that, price and size/weight. A Nikon D700 with a 24-70 f/2.8 zoom is quite a beast compared to the K-7 with a 16-50 f/2.8 (or a pancake lens!).
I missed one point I think. Another advantage of FF in low light situation is that it offers larger DOF, contributing better clarity of an indoor scene.

But in the end, I can't justify the expense of getting a FF. Not only camera's more expensive, so are lenses, they are also much bigger. So I guess FF is for professional Studio/indoor low light shoots?

I used to be a Canon shooting, buying those L lenses and was always preparing upgrading to FF when it's reasonably cheap. But then I realize I really don't want to carry those 77mm diameter lens like the 24-70mm f2.8 all day long.