Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-22-2009, 08:37 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Give away razors, sell the blades

I expect that the K7's built-in compensation for DA (etc) lenses will prove to be a powerful factor in lens purchases over the coming months and years. Anyone with a K7 who is considering a Pentax lens versus a 3rd party equivalent will thus have an excellent reason to prefer the Pentax lens.

Perhaps this will become a significant part of Pentax's business model: make relatively small profits on camera bodies, but make the real money on Pentax lenses. If so, Sigma and Tamron will have their work cut out for themselves.

05-22-2009, 08:51 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I don't think that Sigma and Tamron's business model relies on supporting the tiny niche market of Pentax users.

Pretty sure they'd be just fine providing lenses for the bigger players.
05-22-2009, 10:30 AM   #3
Forum Member

I don't see this as being that big a deal. After all you can do the correction in PP, which is what everyone is doing right now.

Also, as the quality of the lens goes up there's less to correct, so the value of this feature goes down. Presumably Pentax isn't planning on building a bunch of terrible lenses to justify this feature.
05-22-2009, 10:57 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think this may be the tip of a certain iceberg where as digital tech sort of starts to level off in terms of the basics of performance, they'll soon be selling them based on not needing to do as much post-processing. I just considered it a nice bonus with the K20d, but you can do a lot of stuff in-camera that could be very handy for my always-way-behind-the-computer curve ways, myself.

Tech-prognosticators, I heard recently, are predicting the demise of the powerful home computer as we know it before too long, everything mostly becoming remote and with smaller, more portable/dedicated devices meaning the mass market for powerful computers that most just use to surf the Web and play games might be going away. (Though I think the U.S. will be needing infrastructure for that to happen.)

If you can have a camera that can directly output the corrections people who put something together on the lab bench might like, that cuts down on behind-the-computer time, and there's nothing, I think, really stopping a third party lensmaker from encoding the same kind of info into their lenses if they so choose. As long as the information exists, this seems very doable.

One thing about digital photography is that it's still kind of dependent on a mass market of powerful personal computers, and a ways down the road this may not be a good thing to be leaning on.

05-22-2009, 11:07 AM   #5
Veteran Member

In-camera correction takes 3-4 seconds according to JohnCPentax. Could limit the FPS rating of the K-7.
05-22-2009, 11:23 AM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
. . .

Tech-prognosticators, I heard recently, are predicting the demise of the powerful home computer as we know it before too long, everything mostly becoming remote and with smaller, more portable/dedicated devices meaning the mass market for powerful computers that most just use to surf the Web and play games might be going away. (Though I think the U.S. will be needing infrastructure for that to happen.)

. . .
That isn't the first time the tech-progs have made that prediction and won't be the first time they have been wrong. Some people only use their computers for web stuff. However, there are still a lot of people who use them for a lot of other things as well. Plus, keep up way from my big flat monitors. 3x3 inch monitors don't cut it.
05-22-2009, 11:35 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Tech-prognosticators, I heard recently, are predicting the demise of the powerful home computer as we know it before too long, everything mostly becoming remote and with smaller, more portable/dedicated devices meaning the mass market for powerful computers [...] might be going away.
"The fact that the vacuum cleaner ceases to also be a hair dryer and blender in the kitchen doesn't mean that there won't be any vacuum cleaners in the future."
falconeye, 1969 when talking to his mother

P.S.
And yes, my mother (or in politically correct 2009 language: my parents) used to have a vacuum cleaner which was all of this!
05-22-2009, 12:01 PM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
"The fact that the vacuum cleaner ceases to also be a hair dryer and blender in the kitchen doesn't mean that there won't be any vacuum cleaners in the future."

P.S.
And yes, my mother (or in politically correct 2009 language: my parents) used to have a vacuum cleaner which was all of this!
OMG. Now that you mention it, I remember vaguely as a little kid that my aunt had one the doubled as a cloths drier.

05-22-2009, 12:01 PM   #9
Veteran Member

P.S.
Blimey! Post a picture for us to see. I've never laid eyes upon such a marvel.
05-22-2009, 01:56 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
Blimey! Post a picture for us to see. I've never laid eyes upon such a marvel.
It will be hard to find one. After I remember the make I'll come back to you after I've found it. I heard from a friend that it is a collector's item now. So maybe, I can find a photo ...
05-22-2009, 06:54 PM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by asw66 Quote
I expect that the K7's built-in compensation for DA (etc) lenses will prove to be a powerful factor in lens purchases over the coming months and years. Anyone with a K7 who is considering a Pentax lens versus a 3rd party equivalent will thus have an excellent reason to prefer the Pentax lens.

Perhaps this will become a significant part of Pentax's business model: make relatively small profits on camera bodies, but make the real money on Pentax lenses. If so, Sigma and Tamron will have their work cut out for themselves.
I believe that there are a few other DSLRs out there from other manufacturers that already do this - this is not unique to Pentax.

If you can have a camera that can directly output the corrections people who put something together on the lab bench might like, that cuts down on behind-the-computer time, and there's nothing, I think, really stopping a third party lensmaker from encoding the same kind of info into their lenses if they so choose. As long as the information exists, this seems very doable.
Two things...
1) The advent of the "thin client PC" and the death of the fat desktop PC has been being trumpeted for, oh, 10-15 years (probably much more)... however, even in areas where it is a natural fit, thin clients haven't found a foothold and regular full PCs are still the standard choice.

2) The lens correction database is stored on the camera itself, I believe, not the lens, so there's nothing the third-party manufacturers could do about it. (Unless Pentax open-sources their firmware or allows "plug-ins" to the firmware to add third-party lens info, neither is which is remotely likely!)
05-22-2009, 07:50 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
That isn't the first time the tech-progs have made that prediction and won't be the first time they have been wrong. Some people only use their computers for web stuff. However, there are still a lot of people who use them for a lot of other things as well. Plus, keep up way from my big flat monitors. 3x3 inch monitors don't cut it.

Actually, blue, as I write this, a posse is forming to come take both your big flat monitors and your guns. Sit tight. Best if you don't resist.

05-22-2009, 07:54 PM   #13
Veteran Member

P.S.

Ugh. How did the margarita's taste?