Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dafiryde Quote
Pophoto, their mag is not even worth putting in a LATRIN

Dave
Not even being well crumpled up??

05-22-2009, 03:43 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A lot of ya'll are misinterpreting what they are saying.
The word rugged was put in quotations because it is normally used to describe a landscape and not a camera.
If they wanted to be skeptical, they would of put "claimed" in quotations instead of "rugged". And in previous review, I do remember them saying that Pentax cameras were quite durable (yes the ones with the plastic shells)

It is just like if I said your face is "mountainous". Your face isn't really mountainous, but it is very bumpy (which refers to mountainous)

End this thread please.
05-22-2009, 04:39 PM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by GLXLR Quote
A lot of ya'll are misinterpreting what they are saying.
The word rugged was put in quotations because it is normally used to describe a landscape and not a camera.
If they wanted to be skeptical, they would of put "claimed" in quotations instead of "rugged". And in previous review, I do remember them saying that Pentax cameras were quite durable (yes the ones with the plastic shells)

It is just like if I said your face is "mountainous". Your face isn't really mountainous, but it is very bumpy (which refers to mountainous)
While I see where you're comming from you really should consult a dictionary every now and then

QuoteQuote:
From dictionary.com
rug·ged (rŭg'ĭd)
adj.
1-Having a rough irregular surface. See Synonyms at rough.
2-Having strong features marked with furrows or wrinkles: the rugged face of the old sailor.
3-capable of enduring hardship, wear, etc.; strong and tough: rugged floor covering; a rugged lumberjack.
4-Tempestuous; stormy: the rugged weather of the North Atlantic.
5-Demanding great effort, ability, or endurance: the rugged conditions of barracks life.
6-Lacking culture or polish; coarse and rude: rugged manners and ribald wit.
Definition number 3 is actually quite common of manufactured items. I find it more plausible(though unlikely) that they were referring to definition 6
I also like the irony of definition 2 in relation to your example of a face.

Last edited by Bill Stickers; 05-22-2009 at 04:48 PM. Reason: to ward off evil spirits
05-22-2009, 06:46 PM   #19
Veteran Member

I recently stumbled across their "blog", which I have to put in quotation marks, because man is it lame.

PopPhoto Flash

With the name recognition they've got, they could easily have one of the best and most popular photography communities on the internet. Instead, they've got that.

05-24-2009, 07:55 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by er1kksen Quote
If you don't mind me asking, just what was their complaint?
I was promoting Pentax camera's on their blog. They said what I was doing was "Advertising" and if Pentax wanted to pay for advertising they could. They accused me of working for Pentax, which I never have. They also accused me of breaking an NDA with Pentax, which I did not. They banned me from their forums and basically said to Pentax, "either it is Ben who goes or we may not be as generous in our editorializing the Pentax DSLR's in the future..." Pentax needed the support of Pop more than they did me and the rest is history.
05-24-2009, 08:03 AM   #21
ogl
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
They also put AF data (speed) of K10D to K20D's review.

Although,
Pentax K20D Digital Camera - Full Review - The Imaging Resource!
Shutter Response comparison:
K10D / K20D
Camera K10D K20D
Lag Time, pre-focused 0.107 sec 0.089 sec
Lag Time, manual focus 0.181 sec 0.090 sec

K10D
Full Autofocus 0.254 second
Time from fully pressing shutter button to image capture

K20D
Full Autofocus 0.174 second
Time from fully pressing shutter button to image capture using Sigma 70mm f/2.8 lens

The reviews of PopPhoto are the weakest review in the Internet. IMO
05-24-2009, 08:27 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by laissezfaire Quote
Pop Photo just like other ad supported businesses are suffering. I cannot recall a Pentax ad in it's pages in recent years. They are heavily supported by Sony through advertising and joint business development projects.

I'm not blaming them... but they have jobs to keep and families to support like the rest of us. I'm just calling out the situation.

Well, it's not really going to help their jobs and families making a magazine with no credibility, really. If the bigger companies are leaning on them, that's a sad state of affairs, but why go to a photo magazine at all if they're just going to be a cheerleader for certain brands, anyway, even if you like those brands?

I could see putting the word 'rugged' in quotes if it were expressing doubt anything electronic is truly rugged, but one wonders what else might get the same treatment, considering. If they were really interested in the photo business as a whole doing well, they frankly ought to encourage other brands to come out with sealed cameras.
05-24-2009, 03:16 PM   #23
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RuiC Quote
Not even being well crumpled up??
No! One could end up injured from that junky paper or get a terrible reaction to the cheap ink.

05-24-2009, 09:47 PM   #24
Pentaxian

I find it really refreshing that Pop Photo is skeptical of something, even if it's something I'm prepared to love (shows how much respect I have for them, I guess).
When Heb Keppler died, the only credible writer that Pop Photo had died.
05-25-2009, 04:37 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I find it really refreshing that Pop Photo is skeptical of something, even if it's something I'm prepared to love (shows how much respect I have for them, I guess).
I agree. Herb Keppler was the sole person who kept me interested in Pop Photo and gave them credibility. Those are large shoes to fill, what Herb Keppler left behind.
05-25-2009, 08:35 AM   #26
Inactive Account

I've been reading PopPhoto since 1980 or so and read the last several years of Modern Photography and enjoyed their columns, reviews and news, and of course reading Herbert Keppler's rants. Keppler's writings about the Pentax DSLRs made me want to try one and I'm on my second Pentax body now (former Canon enthusiast).

I do agree that PopPhoto has too much of a print mentality these days and that the online reviews such as DPReview far surpass what PopPhoto is doing despite their million dollar test lab capabilities. I hope they adapt to catch up with what is going on before it is too late.

Cheers -
MitchellT

Pentax K10D, Pentax K100D Super
05-25-2009, 09:01 AM   #27
Site Supporter

Herb Keppler was with Modern Photography far longer than Pop Phot. He had influence on American Photography as well. Don't froget the various editions of the book, The Asahi Pentax Way either.
05-25-2009, 09:03 AM   #28
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
When their skepticism is directed more often at the smaller companies including Leica and Oly and not the big commercial yuppie brands, it has little credibility from an objective stand point.