Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-22-2009, 11:40 AM   #1
Forum Member

Popphoto is skeptical of the K7

Interesting in that their blurb online at pophoto dot com they write:

"they've crammed the whole thing into a compact body, that they claim is "rugged" enough to withstand beatings that would have other DSLRs in boxes on their way to the service department. "

Rugged in quotations... they doubt Pentax's weathersealing and hardiness? And they seem to think (imo) that the starting price is a little high... for a Pentax:

"The rest of the specs can be found in the press release after the break, as well as a few more product shots. That can help you decide if it's worth the $1,300 asking price."

It seems to me their not jumping on the bandwagon, which maybe is a good thing to be objective. But somehow I don't think they are...

05-22-2009, 11:50 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's... Popphoto. Who? I think I remember... They.... Had an amusingly-curmudgeonly editorial columnist back in the 80s?

Actually, to be 'fair,' I gather they're heavily-beholden to advertisers: I used to get subscriptions to that and Modern Photography for like every birthday as a teen from relatives who had understandable trouble figuring me out.

Really did stop listening, though, around when I felt Canon was beginning to betray the FD people: they were replacing really good stuff with ....plasticky crap and PopPhoto was just all aglow with how 'light and compact' stuff was when it was slower, finickier, and ...started kind of sucking at times. Felt like wagging my big old 35-105 3.5 and being like, 'Listen, big guy, if I can carry this lens, you can carry this lens!' Ah, the good old days, when you could shout at magazines and be ignored without typing anything....

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 05-22-2009 at 12:07 PM.
05-22-2009, 11:54 AM   #3
Site Supporter

PopPhoto hasn't been made out of paper with good enough quality to service as toilet paper in 25 years. They in fact are called Pop Photo because the only thing their rag is good for is rolling up and popping flies and cockroaches.
05-22-2009, 11:57 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'll wait for user hands-on experience before agreeing or disagreeing with what PopPhoto say.

05-22-2009, 11:59 AM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
I'll wait for user hands-on experience before agreeing or disagreeing with what PopPhoto say.
Or at least wait for Jsher to drop his in the lake to verify the ruggedness of it and the new WR lens!
05-22-2009, 12:00 PM   #6
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
PopPhoto hasn't been made out of paper with good enough quality to service as toilet paper in 25 years.
ROTFLMAO

but unfortunately to the unsuspecting....
05-22-2009, 12:03 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Or at least wait for Jsher to drop his in the lake to verify the ruggedness of it and the new WR lens!
He should be fine with a DA* attached to it. And if it's in a zip bag. and is filled with He.
05-22-2009, 12:10 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I've got little use for what pop says. I think the last article I read that had any use for me was getting started in LF photography - which was from 1993, I believe.

Pop can doubt whether the k7 is really that rugged or not. It means little when I've got a k10 which was advertised as being rugged - and more importantly, delivered on that claim.

As for the price? I'm inclined to believe that in spite of the fact it's pricey, it's worth it based on what it's offering compared to similarly spec'd cameras and their asking price when released.

05-22-2009, 12:35 PM   #9
Veteran Member

It was Pop Photo that sent their complaint to Ned that marked the beginning of my demise of my sponsorship with Pentax..Yes it was the almighty Jack Howard. I think that was his name. The editor.
05-22-2009, 01:07 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
I stopped buying their magazines early last year (yes I know shame I supported them for so long) but still go online to see what sort of mess they come up with... and each time I do so I'm glad I stopped getting their product. So the fact their negative towards the K7 means that Pentax is not wasting money towards them... which might be a good thing...
05-22-2009, 01:28 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Don't be too hard on Pop Photo, their review of the K10D is part of what made me choose it.
05-22-2009, 01:35 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Shaloot! Quote
Interesting in that their blurb online at pophoto dot com they write:

"they've crammed the whole thing into a compact body, that they claim is "rugged" enough to withstand beatings that would have other DSLRs in boxes on their way to the service department. "

Rugged in quotations... they doubt Pentax's weathersealing and hardiness? And they seem to think (imo) that the starting price is a little high... for a Pentax:

"The rest of the specs can be found in the press release after the break, as well as a few more product shots. That can help you decide if it's worth the $1,300 asking price."

It seems to me their not jumping on the bandwagon, which maybe is a good thing to be objective. But somehow I don't think they are...
Pophoto, their mag is not even worth putting in a LATRIN

Dave
05-22-2009, 01:39 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
It was Pop Photo that sent their complaint to Ned that marked the beginning of my demise of my sponsorship with Pentax..Yes it was the almighty Jack Howard. I think that was his name. The editor.
Wow, really? What are they complaining about? It's none of their business, right?
05-22-2009, 01:41 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by Shaloot! Quote
Pop Photo just like other ad supported businesses are suffering. I cannot recall a Pentax ad in it's pages in recent years. They are heavily supported by Sony through advertising and joint business development projects.

I'm not blaming them... but they have jobs to keep and families to support like the rest of us. I'm just calling out the situation.
05-22-2009, 01:41 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
If you don't mind me asking, just what was their complaint?