Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-23-2009, 01:25 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jaad75 Quote
I think it looks better than K20D in these samples, the problem is that you people don't know where to look... K20D cuts deep shadows very quickly and there is absolutely no detail to recover, K-7 seems to have more DR over there. Take a look at blue and red channels in both cameras - K-7 has much less blue noise, so it's gonna look much better with boosted blue channel when compensating for tungsten (which is where you would probably use higher ISO anyway). I can already make this early pre-production sample look better than the one made with K20D - I'm really thrilled to see what they can archive when they finally tweak the software and hardware to the optimal level...
At ISO 6400 you can barely read "Pentax" inside the lens on the K7 pic, the one from the K20D is much clearer. How does that look better?

05-23-2009, 03:18 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
i found k20d pictures look sharper and cleaner. Strange..
05-23-2009, 03:32 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Although the K20D output looks cleaner and sharper to my eyes, I think we should wait for the final production firmware of the K7. One more point and this is a personal one, for all intent and purpose, being that I rarely shoot over 400 iso, I don't think the K7 will visibly improve the output over the K20D. For those needing 1/8000th of a second and 5.2 fps, yes, that may be the deciding factor. But again, my needs are different than many.
05-23-2009, 03:39 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ray Pulley Quote

Apologies if this is a dupe.

Ray
Yes, old news, I reported that one day ago at my Blog!

05-23-2009, 05:03 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jaad75 Quote
I think it looks better than K20D in these samples, the problem is that you people don't know where to look... K20D cuts deep shadows very quickly and there is absolutely no detail to recover, K-7 seems to have more DR over there. Take a look at blue and red channels in both cameras - K-7 has much less blue noise, so it's gonna look much better with boosted blue channel when compensating for tungsten (which is where you would probably use higher ISO anyway). I can already make this early pre-production sample look better than the one made with K20D - I'm really thrilled to see what they can archive when they finally tweak the software and hardware to the optimal level...
I don't know where to look, eh? What I've been saying this whole thread is that I prefer what the K20D is doing in this comparison (retaining detail, even at the expense of the deep shadows) more than I like what the K-7 is doing (making everything all smeary, even if the deep shadows are a little better).

HOWEVER, what you and I each see in these photos is pretty much irrelevant because as far as we know, the results from each camera could end up looking identical in RAW and the differences we see could just be a result of different processing strategies. I'd prefer the K-7 to be a bit of an improvement, but really, we can't tell anything about such things from these images.
05-23-2009, 05:14 AM   #21
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
Yes, old news, I reported that one day ago at my Blog!
http://a.img-dpreview.com/gallery/canoneos50d_samples/originals/img_4335_acr.jpg
do you found that it's very good?
05-23-2009, 07:18 AM   #22
wll
Veteran Member

It's like comparing ...

My old Toyota Land Cruiser to my new Toyota FJ Cruiser that is not built yet. Right now the old TLC kicks butt, but when the new Toyota FJ is done at the factory and tuned up, it will kick my old TLC in short order.

It is probably a wise move to wait until the product is DONE and being sold before stating something is bad or ?

If we in the photographic community THEN wish to tear it apart, so be it, but give Pentax the opportunity to MAKE the FINAL product.

Just my thoughts.

wll

05-23-2009, 07:32 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K7¸ß¸ÐÌá¸ßÁËÂð£¿K7ÓëK20D¸ß¸Ð¿ØÔë±íÏÖÔ*ͼPK£¬Ã¨É÷Èë - ÎÞ¼ÉÂÛ̳

Pre-release firmware, so this is not really fair, but it reminded me how good the K20D is at 1600.

Apologies if this is a dupe.

Ray
QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
Not only is it not fair, it is quite pointless, really.
Early firmware output has very little bearing as to what the final firmware output would look like. Remember the horribly noisy first photos leaked for the K10D?
Seems as if we have lots of "forum police" here nowadays. It is starting to feel a lot like the "other" forum here these days.

Have you been objecting to the thousands of pointless threads speculating about the features and performance of the K-7, many even before ANYTHING was known for sure?

If you think a thread is pointless, feel free to NOT read it.

Ray
Well I'm not a policeman. My father yes, it was his job. I begin to believe that you are of the kind who goes to the restaurant and claim that the food is not yet cooked to be served, but you insist to have it.
05-23-2009, 11:58 AM   #24
Veteran Member

B&H is now accepting orders for the K7

QuoteOriginally posted by wll Quote
It is probably a wise move to wait until the product is DONE and being sold before stating something is bad or ?

wll
I'm not criticizing your intent or anything, but BH and other firms are out there accepting orders for the K7, and they couldn't do that if they didn't have firm commitments from Pentax Corp.

People who are out there considering spending money on this product, have every right to look at and analyze any information available. Particularly after Pentax has advertised that this new sensor mod has lowered noise.

I'm not mad at Pentax or anything, since i now own 2 of their digital cameras, but after they played that extensive teaser publicity campaign, they have little room to complain when folks look critically at the images available. Corporations can't have it both ways, only look at the information they intended to leak and not the information that is unintentionally leaked.
05-23-2009, 12:29 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
I'm not criticizing your intent or anything, but BH and other firms are out there accepting orders for the K7...
FYI, B&H does NOT take pre-orders.

QuoteQuote:
People who are out there considering spending money on this product, have every right to look at and analyze any information available.
Of course, they have the right, just that they are looking at the wrong place, the wrong info, and (surprise!) could make the wrong decision.

Many people pay for the pre-orders on the assumption that if they don't like what they see, they can return it; so they have nothing to lose. But if you buy from a place which does not accept returns or refunds, then you would be knowingly taking a risk before the production version is ready and reviewed.

QuoteQuote:
I'm not mad at Pentax or anything, since i now own 2 of their digital cameras, but after they played that extensive teaser publicity campaign, they have little room to complain when folks look critically at the images available.
This is not complaints, but rather a warning for people who wants to make purchase decision based on pre-production firmware, that they could be making a wrong conclusion. There are even features in the beta firmware which can be disabled and not make it in the final firmware (for example, continuous AF during movie mode). The teaser and announcement is to draw your attention. Pentax made it clear that you wouldn't be able to buy it until July.

So it is just a friendly advice to potential purchasers to wait for the final production version before making a decision. OTOH, you are welcome to ignore any advice.
05-23-2009, 12:32 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RuiC Quote
I begin to believe that you are of the kind who goes to the restaurant and claim that the food is not yet cooked to be served, but you insist to have it.
LOL
05-23-2009, 01:30 PM   #27
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
LOL
That was my reaction too. LOL:
05-23-2009, 01:56 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Funny thing is that I cant get that low noice on my K20D at ISO 800...

Something wrong with my camera or I call bullshit.
05-24-2009, 04:07 AM   #29

I cant get iso 1600 photos on my k20d neither ..
05-24-2009, 06:03 AM   #30
Veteran Member

If anything I would say that its the other way around ;D