Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-24-2009, 09:21 AM   #16
Veteran Member

So you believe in Ockham's Razor, right? And you believe that firmware 1.0 was available a month ago, but every test camera they have sent had ver.2.x or 3.x installed? You believe there is more chance that Pentax reps are showing cameras with unfinished software if there are newer versions available? What would be easier - edit the exif header or forget to write a part that identifies the firmware version properly?

05-24-2009, 03:51 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jaad75 Quote
So you believe in Ockham's Razor, right? And you believe that firmware 1.0 was available a month ago, but every test camera they have sent had ver.2.x or 3.x installed? You believe there is more chance that Pentax reps are showing cameras with unfinished software if there are newer versions available? What would be easier - edit the exif header or forget to write a part that identifies the firmware version properly?
Are you a Pentax employee?
05-24-2009, 04:07 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RuiC Quote
Are you a Pentax employee?
No. Do you think I would write that in this case? I was answering to knoxploration post.
05-24-2009, 04:12 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
No. Do you think I would write that in this case? I was answering to knoxploration post.
All right I apologize.

Rui

05-24-2009, 04:17 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Poortugal?
05-24-2009, 04:48 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
Poortugal?

You only have to read the EuroStat reports.:ugh:
When you have a Bank of Portugal Governor (equivalent to the US Federal Reserve) who earns twice that of Alan Greenspan's and is the world's third best paid Governor(more than 200.000 Euros annual income plus bennefits) in a country where most retired old people try to live with less than 405 Euros monthly pension, you'll understand.

Rui in Europe's westerner place with 10 million inhabitants and 12 million cell phones and where boys quit the school at 14 to work for the family budget.

Last edited by RuiC; 05-24-2009 at 04:54 PM.
05-25-2009, 08:25 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yes actually, I do believe there's more chance of that. Why do I believe it? Because there are many examples of various camera companies giving out samples with less than the newest available firmware builds, especially outside their home markets.

Pentax are not giving out samples for people to judge image quality from, in fact they're explicitly stating that the samples shouldn't use used to show IQ. They're giving them out for people to judge the overall feature set, handling, mechanicals, etc.

There's a big difference between the demo bodies and a camera where you care about showing off the best image quality you can currently manage. In that case, you hand pick a camera body that has a good sensor and alignment, you use the firmware that yields the best images (which is hopefully your most recent one), and you vet every photo and hand pick the ones that show your camera in the best light.

So yes, I believe it is not just possible, but very likely that Pentax used newer firmware on their hand-picked test camera than is available on demo cameras in other markets.

Not to mention that nobody has yet proffered a single possible explanation as to why Pentax would want / need to hand edit the EXIF data of the photos to change the version number.
05-25-2009, 08:42 AM   #23
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by knoxploration Quote
Not to mention that nobody has yet proffered a single possible explanation as to why Pentax would want / need to hand edit the EXIF data of the photos to change the version number.
Does it really matters?
Personally I don't care. I wait to see some samples taken by some skilled photographers and then I will make my conclusions about the IQ. You see, I hate conspiracy theories.

05-25-2009, 09:53 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gio645 Quote
Does it really matters?
Personally I don't care. I wait to see some samples taken by some skilled photographers and then I will make my conclusions about the IQ. You see, I hate conspiracy theories.
Gio, that is not conspiracy, it's amateurship in Marketing. Although the cameras are targeted to amateur photographers they need to behave like professional marketeers.
05-25-2009, 11:03 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Gio, that is not conspiracy, it's amateurship in Marketing. Although the cameras are targeted to amateur photographers they need to behave like professional marketeers.
I am not sure how you could make such a conclusion. Pentax obviously believed that those pictures was good enough to represent K-7's IQ, and that's what they did.
05-25-2009, 12:21 PM   #26
Veteran Member

I wonder why would Pentax publish example images supposedly taken by the K-7 camera with Firmware v0.20. That is supposed to be still underdeveloped to warrant a perfect rendition of the true capabilities of the camera. In my opinion those photos stink.
Open the images in PhotoMe and check tag-ID(0027,0028) and see the firmware version. Also tag-ID(0131) shows ver 1.00 . That means that the exif was edited to show v1.00, as in the description along the images in the K-7 Special Site.

Please explain.
To me they look exactly like pictures from a K20D would.
05-25-2009, 12:25 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Sample video

Edvinas posted a link to sample video taken with the K-7 in the DSLR discussion section: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/61377-pentax-k-7-s...inks-only.html

- Jason
05-25-2009, 01:46 PM   #28
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
pentax.de

The sample photos at pentax.de are online again (registration required).

The JPGs are identical, the DNGs aren't bit-identical but look the same.

What I found most exciting is that those RAW samples are artifact free. Below, you find the original DNG, developped by ACR with standard settings. DNG is taken with fw0.20 at ISO 200. (Full image, no crop)

Then, I develop the image with +4EV and additionally grab the range 0-2 (out of 0-255) from the histogram. This is the low 11% part from the luminance or another push by 3.2EV.

So, the second image corresponds to ISO 200 pushed to ISO 25600!!

Last edited by falconeye; 06-15-2011 at 05:28 AM.
05-25-2009, 06:50 PM   #29
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
damn! At least one of those images at K-7?????????????PENTAX is in New Zealand (the last one)! And no.2 looks very NZ as well. How come they didn't ask me?
05-25-2009, 07:23 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You only have to read the EuroStat reports.:ugh:
When you have a Bank of Portugal Governor (equivalent to the US Federal Reserve) who earns twice that of Alan Greenspan's and is the world's third best paid Governor(more than 200.000 Euros annual income plus bennefits) in a country where most retired old people try to live with less than 405 Euros monthly pension, you'll understand.

Rui in Europe's westerner place with 10 million inhabitants and 12 million cell phones and where boys quit the school at 14 to work for the family budget.
Poor tugal love it.. here in america I think we decided to be no. 1 in that area too...
Soon you won't be alone..