Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-22-2009, 04:06 PM   #1
Veteran Member
RuiC's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Lisboa - The Grocery
Posts: 610
K-7 Example Images

I wonder why would Pentax publish example images supposedly taken by the K-7 camera with Firmware v0.20. That is supposed to be still underdeveloped to warrant a perfect rendition of the true capabilities of the camera. In my opinion those photos stink.
Open the images in PhotoMe and check tag-ID(0027,0028) and see the firmware version. Also tag-ID(0131) shows ver 1.00 . That means that the exif was edited to show v1.00, as in the description along the images in the K-7 Special Site.

Please explain.


Last edited by RuiC; 05-23-2009 at 03:04 AM. Reason: tag-id(0131)
05-23-2009, 07:22 AM   #2
Veteran Member
Rickster's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SE Idaho - Rocky Mtns
Posts: 433
I noticed that too. I think it best to wait until PhotoMe has released a version officially supporting the K7 before jumping to conclusions.

Rick
05-23-2009, 07:43 AM   #3
Veteran Member
RuiC's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Lisboa - The Grocery
Posts: 610
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rickster Quote
I noticed that too. I think it best to wait until PhotoMe has released a version officially supporting the K7 before jumping to conclusions.

Rick
Rick, OK about PhotoMe not supportting k-7 yet, but why did it read firmware v0.20? How did he know?

Rui
05-23-2009, 07:55 AM   #4
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 1,934
QuoteOriginally posted by Rickster Quote
I noticed that too. I think it best to wait until PhotoMe has released a version officially supporting the K7 before jumping to conclusions.

Rick
If it is a PhotoMe problem, why it is so "coincidently" showing DSP/CPU firmware version 0.20 instead of all other possible version numbers???

And, for those who has not checked yet, here is the link:-

http://www.pentax.jp/japan/imaging/digital/slr/k-7/ex.html

05-23-2009, 07:58 AM   #5
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 1,934
QuoteOriginally posted by RuiC Quote
Please explain.
You want who to explain?? :-)
05-23-2009, 08:08 AM   #6
Senior Member




Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Montreal (Canada)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 198
Pentax should start to push out good, hell, exceptional sample images.

I cannot believe the firmware is so far from production that they cannot do that in controled environment.

I looked at the sample images from the Sigma DP2 that came out way before the official release, and they are simply awsome. (have a look at Sample Photo Gallery | SIGMA DP2 : Special Contents )
05-23-2009, 09:14 AM   #7
Senior Member
joakimfors's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Lund, Sweden
Posts: 237
QuoteOriginally posted by RuiC Quote
That means that the exif was edited to show v1.00, as in the description along the images in the K-7 Special Site.

Please explain.
Or it's just like with all beta software, a bug. Better start looking at the images in a hex editor, might find some hidden messages like 0xdeadbeef which clearly show that the photo was taken by a deceased bovine .
05-23-2009, 11:50 AM   #8
Veteran Member
RuiC's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Lisboa - The Grocery
Posts: 610
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
You want who to explain?? :-)
Maybe, ... ehrr, maybe Pentax for a start.

05-23-2009, 01:29 PM   #9
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,299
QuoteOriginally posted by Thesorus Quote
Pentax should start to push out good, hell, exceptional sample images.
But what's the hurry? Does anyone here base their buying decision on official sample images? I, for one, don't! And they won't put out high ISO samples anyways even after production version is completed.
05-23-2009, 02:07 PM   #10
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Cracow
Posts: 457
It was confirmed by John C Pentax on DPreview forum that the latest firmware available was 0.34 and these samples were shot a month ago with "a hand selected unit specifically for this purpose to provide the best quality at the time".
05-23-2009, 05:59 PM   #11
Veteran Member
RuiC's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Lisboa - The Grocery
Posts: 610
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jaad75 Quote
It was confirmed by John C Pentax on DPreview forum that the latest firmware available was 0.34 and these samples were shot a month ago with "a hand selected unit specifically for this purpose to provide the best quality at the time".
This is his business and who am I to tell him how to run it. One thing is for sure, I never saw anyone here asking urgently for sample photos. Nothing more to say.


Rui
05-23-2009, 06:58 PM   #12
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Kaunas
Posts: 1,452
QuoteOriginally posted by jaad75 Quote
It was confirmed by John C Pentax on DPreview forum that the latest firmware available was 0.34 and these samples were shot a month ago with "a hand selected unit specifically for this purpose to provide the best quality at the time".
It seems that Pentax firmware developers are having tough race against the time...

Hopefuly they won't make many bugs in such hurry.
05-23-2009, 07:34 PM   #13
Veteran Member




Join Date: May 2009
Location: Knoxville, Tennessee
Photos: Albums
Posts: 842
QuoteOriginally posted by jaad75 Quote
It was confirmed by John C Pentax on DPreview forum that the latest firmware available was 0.34 and these samples were shot a month ago with "a hand selected unit specifically for this purpose to provide the best quality at the time".
Actually, what he said was:
"There are no cameras around (except maybe with the engineers in Japan) that have final image quality or firmware. I have the latest and it is still version 0.34."
Source: It most certainly is: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

In other words, the Japanese engineers may well have access to newer firmware than John C currently does. Given that the hand picked camera was used to create sample photos for the Japanese website, and that Pentax is a Japanese company, it seems likely that the hand-picking was done in Japan. If that's the case, you'd rather have to expect them to be using the best (and hence, latest) firmware available in Japan at the time - and that could well have been far newer than what is currently available to John C, even as long as a month ago.

I emphasise this because it seems a bit silly to act like there's some conspiracy, and that Pentax isn't playing straight. Even if unintentionally, that is essentially what is being suggested by claiming Pentax has edited the EXIF data to change the number after the images were captured. What possible reason would they even have for doing so, especially given that it is entirely Pentax's own decision as to when the firmware is suitable for public samples / final production, and how to operate their firmware numbering schema?

For that matter, why does anybody believe it is even a requirement that the version numbers have to match? Perhaps there are multiple parts of the firmware with separate version numbers, and some parts *are* considered final, while others aren't. Alternatively, perhaps the firmware guys simply missed updating the version numbering in a couple of places before compiling the firmware. If one can assume they forgot to edit the numbers while editing the EXIF, it is not exactly a huge leap of faith to suggest they could've forgotten the exact same thing while compiling firmware for internal use.

Also, remember that just because this firmware is listed as "v1.0" doesn't necessarily even mean that it is the final version that will ship in production cameras. It could just imply Pentax feels the image quality will equal that of the final version, whatever revision number that may be. We're still at least 1-5 weeks away from the Japanese launch goal of "June 2009", and firmware is often being revised by manufacturers until almost the last second before product starts shipping to distributors.

Generally, the simplest answer is the correct one, and I have a feeling some combination of the above scenarios is far more likely than Pentax having edited the EXIF data to change the version numbers before posting to the web.
05-24-2009, 08:10 AM   #14
Veteran Member
RuiC's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Lisboa - The Grocery
Posts: 610
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by knoxploration Quote
Actually, what he said was:
"There are no cameras around (except maybe with the engineers in Japan) that have final image quality or firmware. I have the latest and it is still version 0.34."
Source: It most certainly is: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

In other words, the Japanese engineers may well have access to newer firmware than John C currently does. Given that the hand picked camera was used to create sample photos for the Japanese website, and that Pentax is a Japanese company, it seems likely that the hand-picking was done in Japan. If that's the case, you'd rather have to expect them to be using the best (and hence, latest) firmware available in Japan at the time - and that could well have been far newer than what is currently available to John C, even as long as a month ago.

I emphasise this because it seems a bit silly to act like there's some conspiracy, and that Pentax isn't playing straight. Even if unintentionally, that is essentially what is being suggested by claiming Pentax has edited the EXIF data to change the number after the images were captured. What possible reason would they even have for doing so, especially given that it is entirely Pentax's own decision as to when the firmware is suitable for public samples / final production, and how to operate their firmware numbering schema?

For that matter, why does anybody believe it is even a requirement that the version numbers have to match? Perhaps there are multiple parts of the firmware with separate version numbers, and some parts *are* considered final, while others aren't. Alternatively, perhaps the firmware guys simply missed updating the version numbering in a couple of places before compiling the firmware. If one can assume they forgot to edit the numbers while editing the EXIF, it is not exactly a huge leap of faith to suggest they could've forgotten the exact same thing while compiling firmware for internal use.

Also, remember that just because this firmware is listed as "v1.0" doesn't necessarily even mean that it is the final version that will ship in production cameras. It could just imply Pentax feels the image quality will equal that of the final version, whatever revision number that may be. We're still at least 1-5 weeks away from the Japanese launch goal of "June 2009", and firmware is often being revised by manufacturers until almost the last second before product starts shipping to distributors.

Generally, the simplest answer is the correct one, and I have a feeling some combination of the above scenarios is far more likely than Pentax having edited the EXIF data to change the version numbers before posting to the web.
Well, sorry, I have already contributed to that "Fund Raising". You have to look somewhere else. As for your text I only ask you to read it again and tell me if you believe in all you have written
05-24-2009, 09:00 AM   #15
Veteran Member




Join Date: May 2009
Location: Knoxville, Tennessee
Photos: Albums
Posts: 842
QuoteOriginally posted by RuiC Quote
Well, sorry, I have already contributed to that "Fund Raising".
I'm sorry, but I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

QuoteOriginally posted by RuiC Quote
You have to look somewhere else. As for your text I only ask you to read it again and tell me if you believe in all you have written
Yes, I believe every word. Apparently, given that you failed to refute a single point or offer a single suggested reason why Pentax would need to edit the EXIF data when it controls the firmware and selects the firmware numbering schema itself, you believe every word too.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, firmware, images, k-7, pentax news, pentax rumors
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K-7 iso 3200 images: No NR, yet the faces look plastic. (11 images) pcarfan Pentax DSLR Discussion 43 08-31-2010 08:13 AM
How to see images vertical images after download as vertical ? netuser Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 8 08-28-2009 03:48 PM
A variety of images with FA* 200/4 Macro (no bugs) - VLF competition images Marc Langille Post Your Photos! 28 08-22-2008 07:28 PM
High ISO concert images with Tam 28-300 (Images) jsundin Post Your Photos! 2 07-05-2007 08:19 AM
A few K10D tourist images of Italy (9 images, about 200kb each) volosong Post Your Photos! 2 04-24-2007 04:29 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:26 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top