Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-22-2009, 05:55 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Is it not possible to make a range of dSLR's more like this?

Let's say the new K-7 is the top of the line.

Why can't they make an entry level and a mid-range dSLR that looks identical?
K-7 in Mag-alloy and the two lower end dSLR in plastic. Same button layout etc. but different body metarial and cheaper/older part inside.

We could use the same battery and grip on all models.

Pentax only need to upgrade the high-end/prosumer dSLR, the mid-range dSLR will inherit specs./parts from the high-end/prosumer dSLR and the entry level dSLR will inherit specs./parts from the mid-range dSLR.

If Apple can do it, why can't Pentax do it with dSLR's?
All the 24" iMac's have the same look, but with different specs./hardware inside.
Why have 3-4 different dSLR body's when you can make 1 in mag-alloy and 1 in plastic?

Let's say you are new to dSLR photgraphy, you buy the entry level dSLR.
Later on, you get hooked on photography or just wan't a better camera, so you buy the mid-range or the high-end dSLR.
My question; Would you sell the entry level dSLR? If both dSLR had the same button layout, same charger, battery, battery-grip and so on. I know I wouldn't, a back-up camera is alway great to have. I know! This is the sixth week without my K20D.

Is this insane or is it just me

EDIT:

Entry level= An upgraded K-m in a plastic K-7 body with some wheather sealing
Mid range= An upgraded K20D in a plastic K-7 body with wheather seals like the K-7.
High end= K-7
Don't know if the mid-range dSLR should have HD-video.

Last edited by NorthPentax; 05-22-2009 at 06:09 PM.
05-22-2009, 07:30 PM   #2

No. Sealing and body material alone is not perceived to be important enough to distinct a higher model to a lower model. Put it vaguely, there must be something that the high model can do while the lower model cannot do, regardless of hacks and add-ons, unless the add-ons required to perform the same function will cost about the difference between the 2 body models. Otherwise, the top model will sell really, really badly.

For example, the entry level camera has 1 dial and pentamirror. The middle one may have 2 dials and a 95% pentaprism. The flagship has everything.

In my opinion, the middle-of-the-road camera can contain only at most 4 of the following features. Otherwise the decision will be too easy for most people - never buy the top model.

1. 100% prism finder
2. top status LCD
3. first-party battery grip available
4. 2 dials and HyperP
5. weather sealing/alloy body
6. wireless flash
7. a 1/8000 shutter
05-22-2009, 07:54 PM   #3
Veteran Member

The entry level buyer might have a very different way of looking at a camera then someone who is interested in the K-7.

Just the larger size of the K-7 might put off a buyer that would go for the K-m sized body.

But on the otherhand, I expect all the electronics inside from the K-7 to be reused down the line. I think this will especially be true of the new exposure sensor. I expect they could "link" the cells of the sensor into almost any patern just with software. So a midrange pentax could have a 16 segment sensor that really is the 77 segment sensor, and use the same hardware.
05-22-2009, 08:50 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I think that adding all the buttons and switches adds to the manufacturing cost. Hence the lower end bodies need more reliance on the menu.

Also, i think that people want their cameras to look different. And companies want to sell people on erganomics too. E.g K20d shooters want a km as travel / on the move camera due to it's size.

mike

05-22-2009, 09:03 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just want the next midrange camera to have the old 14.6 mp sensor from the K20D. We need to move on from the age-old sony 10mp sensor we've been using since the K10D...
05-23-2009, 01:37 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wolfier Quote
No. Sealing and body material alone is not perceived to be important enough to distinct a higher model to a lower model. Put it vaguely, there must be something that the high model can do while the lower model cannot do, regardless of hacks and add-ons, unless the add-ons required to perform the same function will cost about the difference between the 2 body models. Otherwise, the top model will sell really, really badly.

For example, the entry level camera has 1 dial and pentamirror. The middle one may have 2 dials and a 95% pentaprism. The flagship has everything.

In my opinion, the middle-of-the-road camera can contain only at most 4 of the following features. Otherwise the decision will be too easy for most people - never buy the top model.

1. 100% prism finder
2. top status LCD
3. first-party battery grip available
4. 2 dials and HyperP
5. weather sealing/alloy body
6. wireless flash
7. a 1/8000 shutter
Read my post, look at the picture.

QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
The entry level buyer might have a very different way of looking at a camera then someone who is interested in the K-7.

Just the larger size of the K-7 might put off a buyer that would go for the K-m sized body.

But on the otherhand, I expect all the electronics inside from the K-7 to be reused down the line. I think this will especially be true of the new exposure sensor. I expect they could "link" the cells of the sensor into almost any patern just with software. So a midrange pentax could have a 16 segment sensor that really is the 77 segment sensor, and use the same hardware.
K-7 and K-m are almost the same size. If a K-7 was built in plastic and with less metal inside it would be lighter. It's possible to reduce the grip size, remove buttons and still have the same look.

QuoteOriginally posted by schmik Quote
I think that adding all the buttons and switches adds to the manufacturing cost. Hence the lower end bodies need more reliance on the menu.

Also, i think that people want their cameras to look different. And companies want to sell people on erganomics too. E.g K20d shooters want a km as travel / on the move camera due to it's size.

mike
You maybe right about the buttons. Some of the buttons don't need to be on a entry level camera. AF buttons, Liveview buttton, RAW button, lightmeter handle/lever.

We are talking about a K-7 body, not K20D. Big difference in size there. I have the K20D and used to own a K-m. The K-m is not more of a "travel" dSLR than the K20D.
A P&S like Canon G10 or Sigma DP1/DP2 are more suited for travel.

QuoteOriginally posted by er1kksen Quote
I just want the next midrange camera to have the old 14.6 mp sensor from the K20D. We need to move on from the age-old sony 10mp sensor we've been using since the K10D...
I agree.

I wrote that in my first post. Look at the picture.

Entry level= An upgraded K-m in a smaller* plastic K-7 body with some wheather sealing
Mid range= An upgraded K20D in a plastic K-7 body with wheather seals like the K-7.
High end= K-7

Edit:
An entry level dSRL in a K-7 body without top LCD and all the buttons would be ugly.
I would love to see an upgraded K20D in a plastic K-7 body using the same grip, batteries etc. But without HD-movie and max 3,5 FPS.

Last edited by NorthPentax; 05-23-2009 at 02:09 AM.
05-23-2009, 05:07 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd like to see an entry-level model in the "gripless" shape we see with the Oly E-410 type cameras. Put a DA 40 on that and you've got yourself a really compact camera. Make it weathersealed and I can garauntee you you'll see a lot of Oly users switching to Pentax, because a weathersealed E-410-type body is what they're all begging for over there.

You could literally fit such a thing in your pocket. I'd pack it over a DP1 any day.
05-23-2009, 09:27 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
I'd like to see an entry-level model in the "gripless" shape we see with the Oly E-410 type cameras.
I'm with you on that one. I like the grip I have on my ZX-5.

Last edited by NorthPentax; 05-23-2009 at 05:10 PM.
05-23-2009, 09:49 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I just noticed that the front of the K-7 looks a bit like a D100, and the back side is similar to KM's 7D.