Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-22-2009, 07:06 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Are we about to say goodbye to a well known camera company

Are We About to Say Goodbye to a Well-known Camera Company? Photofocus

I don't think this guy had the guts to say the P word... lol (: send this guy a K-7 brochure

05-22-2009, 07:46 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adrian Owerko Quote
Are We About to Say Goodbye to a Well-known Camera Company? Photofocus

I don't think this guy had the guts to say the P word... lol (: send this guy a K-7 brochure
Oly.

05-22-2009, 07:50 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Oly.

Sad but my guess is Oly as well......

05-22-2009, 07:51 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What a pointless "article".

05-22-2009, 08:58 PM   #5
Veteran Member

BUY CANIKON! That's the message i got from it. Damn i'd better list it all on ebay asap and switch

I wonder what the second hand lens market is worth for M42 and K mount? Hundreds of Million per year? That's a lot of money floating around in 'the industry' . And i dare say, since the GFC (global fincial crisis) started the value of these items seems to have gone up.

The other thing to think about is the attitube of "what recession?".
Lots of higher income earners who are safe in their jobs are laughing right now, lower mortgage prices, lower petrol and heaps of retail sales. They are having a blast..... and they are typically the types who buy expensive cameras.

End of rant!

mike
05-22-2009, 09:00 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
This is a pretty sad joke.

Who will die? Canon and Nikon are out. Sony is way too big to die. Pentax is part of Hoya which is pretty solid and has never really been a big company, just a consistent smaller player. Olympus isn't just cameras, they have a major medical branch as well and the camera division is posting better sales all the time, not to mention their ties to Panasonic. Samsung as a company is now bigger than Sony. Panasonic is pretty darn big too. Sanyo makes half the lower-end P+S cameras the other companies sell, so I wouldn't expect them to go anywhere. Leica really can't ever die out, it's a luxury item.

What's left? Kodak? I'm not aware of anyone still using their sensors except for certain medium format back producers, and their compacts suck. They've been in a nosedive of sorts for years now, so perhaps they're a good candidate. I really don't know what the deal with Fuji is but as far as I know they're involved in other products besides cameras and sensors, and their compacts are some of the better ones available. Perhaps Sigma's camera division will get cut, and then whoever wrote this article will use it to say "I told you so."

The doom and gloom game continues...
05-22-2009, 09:07 PM   #7
wll
Veteran Member

What !!

The guy who wrote that blog is as stupid as a box of rocks.

Just like As% ho*es everyone has one and this guy has TWO !!!!!

What the FORK is he talking about !!!!!

wll

05-22-2009, 09:08 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Fuji? (oops I guess my response was too short) Fuji?
05-22-2009, 09:16 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by schmik Quote
BUY CANIKON!

Sad but true. Scott Bourne was the original host of This week in photography, a weekly podcast. He is a canon to nikon convert who despises other brands. When he shot in the desert, he made it a point to bring a Pentax K1000 as a "disposable" camera. He may be a pro photog but business person he is not.
05-22-2009, 09:27 PM   #10
Inactive Account

It's obviously Leica.
05-22-2009, 09:35 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There's an element of truth to what he says but mostly he is so full of crap he should be charged a sewer bill. Ritz is a bad example because they were one of those companies that "got too big to fail" which is why they failed in part. Sustainability is a tricky thing over time. A company or entity can be too small to make it or too big. That's just one element though.

It is no secrete that Leica is in trouble. However, Oly is at risk and Sony could dump their Alpha (Minolta) lines as well. Personally, I think this guy is bluffing because he know the odds are that someone is likely to go under.
05-22-2009, 09:40 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Here's what I read:

"I gotta write something for this blog cuz I've got a D3 (see this great pic?) but I really want the D3X - but I can't think of a single worthwhile topic. Hmm, Chicken Little is a great story - but I can't really name names; that would be libelous. But hey, I can talk circles for 500 words and piggy back that big ole fear machine. Yeah, there's my paycheck."
05-22-2009, 09:47 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Venturi Quote
Here's what I read:

"I gotta write something for this blog cuz I've got a D3 (see this great pic?) but I really want the D3X - but I can't think of a single worthwhile topic. Hmm, Chicken Little is a great story - but I can't really name names; that would be libelous. But hey, I can talk circles for 500 words and piggy back that big ole fear machine. Yeah, there's my paycheck."

Plus, if he actually named a company, he would be on the hook until it failed. Now he can claim credit as long as any one fails.
05-22-2009, 10:27 PM   #14
Veteran Member

This is a stupid article.
If any company is going down, it is one most of us have never heard of...
05-22-2009, 10:40 PM   #15
Veteran Member

i read his article, and though he did not mention Pentax, he writes his column like its giving him some kind of pleasure.
God forgive him for his power to write. as he hopes, who he writes about, fails and then he can pat himself and say i told you so, this guy is a sick man. does he have a clue when this type of tragady happens, how people and how much are affected. do you think he cares about how long and how much manhours went into that firm, and how much salaries they paid out so that a worker can buy some food for his family and provide them with shelter.
this author is a selfish bastard who cares about no one but himself, and should be careful.
my grandmother always said, "becareful when you spit in the air, for you never know when the wind will change direction"

Dave