Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-29-2009, 03:51 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GoldenWreckedAngle Quote
...after a JCPentax post earlier today confirming that they didn't touch the shutter I'm convinced that Pentax simply didn't feel like 1/250 was important enough to mess with.
Please check my earlier post in reply to yours here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/616310-post152.html

According to Pentax Japan, K-7's shutter was a newly designed one. There must be some other technical/packaging/economic limitations that they decided not to implement higher sync.

05-29-2009, 11:16 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I was shooting my grandson in a play in a dimly lit school auditorium tonight. The old K10D was giving me lots of feedback (shutter noise) as I shot over 100 hundred low light captures. My wife leaned over and asked me to turn the shutter noise off. I had to chuckle as I explained quickly that I could do that with my old Panasonic camera because it had no shutter, but the Pentax has a real moving shutter. I was quick to add that the K7 is much quieter. She thinks I should upgrade.
05-29-2009, 11:56 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxmz Quote
Canon 50D has shutter noise adjustments... right down to silent mode. Plus 1/250 flash sync.

no, the 50D has a silent mode that's it you can't configure how quiet or loud the shutter is. The canon 50D is basically a 20D on steroids, same construction quality, same similar shutter mechanism, and a dim viewfinder.
05-30-2009, 09:51 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mithrandir Quote
I was shooting my grandson in a play in a dimly lit school auditorium tonight. The old K10D was giving me lots of feedback (shutter noise) as I shot over 100 hundred low light captures. My wife leaned over and asked me to turn the shutter noise off. I had to chuckle as I explained quickly that I could do that with my old Panasonic camera because it had no shutter, but the Pentax has a real moving shutter. I was quick to add that the K7 is much quieter. She thinks I should upgrade.
When I shot my aunt's opera performance, where you could literally hear a pin drop, I covered my camera with my jacket Very silent!

05-31-2009, 02:37 AM   #20
Forum Member

I handled an Olympus E-1 many years ago, I was using the *ist D at the time. I remembered the E-1 to be extremely quiet. When I tried the K-7 engineering sample I was very pleasantly surprised by the quiet shutter / mirros slap sound. I'd like to compare it with the E-1 side by side if there's a chance.
05-31-2009, 03:30 AM   #21
Inactive Account

@Peter

I'll be able to compare that as soon as I get my K-7.
A friend from the photo club has the E-1. The size of the mirror comes in play here ... the E-1 has a smaller mirror that's why it's very quiet.
06-01-2009, 03:51 AM   #22
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fejker Quote
@Peter

I'll be able to compare that as soon as I get my K-7.
A friend from the photo club has the E-1. The size of the mirror comes in play here ... the E-1 has a smaller mirror that's why it's very quiet.
I guess you're right about the mirror size but good dampening also counts here. I think Pentax did a good job sealing the sound on the K-7 on top of a new quieter, well damped shutter / mirror mechanism. When I played with the K-7 engineering sample, I tried listening to the shutter sound with no lens attached and the sound was a bit louder, more on the "crisp" side. But when a lens is mounted, the overall sound was quieter and pleasing to the ears.

Peter

06-02-2009, 03:46 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Fang Quote
I guess you're right about the mirror size but good dampening also counts here. I think Pentax did a good job sealing the sound on the K-7 on top of a new quieter, well damped shutter / mirror mechanism. When I played with the K-7 engineering sample, I tried listening to the shutter sound with no lens attached and the sound was a bit louder, more on the "crisp" side. But when a lens is mounted, the overall sound was quieter and pleasing to the ears.

Peter
Mirrors are soon going to be a thing of the past. Already, Samsung as announced a mirrorless "DSLR". I suppose it can't be called a DSLR. Its too bad that they are not adopting the PK mount for their interchangeable lenses.
06-02-2009, 09:50 PM   #24
Inactive Account

Mirrors are soon going to be a thing of the past. Already, Samsung as announced a mirrorless "DSLR". I suppose it can't be called a DSLR. Its too bad that they are not adopting the PK mount for their interchangeable lenses.
I think you're wrong. No EVIL can replace the actual light being reflected from a mirror. The hybrid cameras without a mirror are just a niche for those who want the optical quality of a DSLR and don't want a bulky camera. Mirrors are not going away.
06-03-2009, 11:02 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think you're wrong. No EVIL can replace the actual light being reflected from a mirror. The hybrid cameras without a mirror are just a niche for those who want the optical quality of a DSLR and don't want a bulky camera. Mirrors are not going away.
They said that about film vs digital On an EVIL camera what you see is what you get from the sensor, so it's even better than a mirror, at least in theory. In practice there are many technical issues to overcome. But it's only that: a technical issue and as technology improves EVIL could actually be better than mirrors. And to get close to the current topic an EVIL camera doesn't have any mirror noise and that's an advantage. The K-7 is able to do the same in Liveview mode: no mirror action required.
06-03-2009, 02:17 PM   #26
Inactive Account

I still find that in some situations film is better than digital. When it comes to dynamic range even full frame cameras can't beat film. So digital hasn't replaced film, it just gave a choice to those that find digital more convenient.
06-03-2009, 02:25 PM   #27
Veteran Member

I'm sure the additional seals, especially those on the lens, probably help to contain some of the shutter noise too.
06-03-2009, 02:28 PM   #28
Banned

The SLR was supposed to kill the rangefinder (that's debatable) compacts were supposed to kill the SLR in the 90's. digital was supposed to kill film. nope mirrors aren't going anywhere. at least not anytime in the foreseeable future. the EVIL camera will just be another option.
06-03-2009, 03:36 PM   #29
Inactive Account

Why does it have to one thing or another?

Canon 50D has shutter noise adjustments... right down to silent mode. Plus 1/250 flash sync.

I guess Pentax wasn't planning to out-do the 50D, at least, not in this respect.
You're talking about live view, so no mirror slap noise, which is a completely different thing. I can guarantee you the K-7 is quieter than the 50D in normal shooting.
06-03-2009, 04:01 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Why would you want that? You could not use K mount lenses anyway with normal performance since the registration distance is very much smaller on the mirrorless samsung. For portrait and macro lenses it would be devastating and all lenses would get increased close focusing distances. Long teles is the only benefit I could think of, but for small birds the increased minima focusing distance could still be a problem.

QuoteOriginally posted by mithrandir Quote
How clever of you! I will try that one!