Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-25-2009, 08:08 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Over on dpreview, JohnCPentax posted that the K-7 isn't rated to go underwater, as the seals aren't designed to hold up under pressure — and that they make no guarantees.

05-25-2009, 10:31 PM   #17

A guy here in Timor dives with one of those P&S waterproof gadgets. Granted, rated for under water, max 2 - 3 meters, but he takes it down to 30 mtrs +, without issues (Other than a slight inward bulge on the screen )
Wish I could remember which brand/type it was. I'll ask.
Anyway, rates, guarantees and warranties are CYA's, IMO
07-24-2009, 07:38 AM   #18
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dopeytree Quote
Ah so maybe in the not so distant future we can expect shots like these to be taken with the K-7 + WR lenses or DA* lenses?

I wish they'd be more honest about the sealing and say exactly what it's capable of. Like would it be fine for kayaking with a few dips in the water and a dunk or too?

Anyone know how to change the thread title?
My K10d kit with 16-50 DA*, 50-135 DA* and AF540FGZ got tested the hard way here in India: A thief has stolen my camerabag while I was sleeping in the same room. Fortunately it was just about quick money so he has thrown all the stuff out of the bag and on the muddy forest ground. Unfortunately it started to rain that night - the heavy -indian- rain. Next morning when I found the stuff lying around everywhere i thought - no way - everything is gone! But after drying everything with a towel it was still working without any problem! Everything, even the flash! Though the flash stopped working a couple of month later - I don't know why - that's maybe another thread.

I'm so happy about the wheater sealing ... especially when I see Canikon users in the rain under an umbrella and the camera nervously pressend under the jacked..

Last edited by davidt; 07-24-2009 at 07:40 AM. Reason: missing word
08-08-2009, 10:31 PM   #19
Veteran Member

My question is about the weather sealing for the internal microphone. Obviously it needs the 2 holes by the built in flash to get sound; but if I'm stuck in the rain what keeps water from damaging the mic?

08-09-2009, 01:16 AM   #20

K10D and DA 50-200 WR

Here are two pictures taken with my K10D and 50-200 WR during a white water rafting trip water fight. I got several questionable looks from people at the place we launched from regarding me taking a DSLR on the trip with no rain sleeve. When people asked I told them "hey it's a Pentax and it is made for this kind of stuff". The camera and I spent the whole trip soaking wet. Thank goodness for micro fiber lens cloths. They even work when wet. I used a "Jerry's Swamp Strap" camera harness (found on ebay) instead of a neck strap to hold the camera. It worked fantastic and allowed me to wear a life jacket at the same time. The third picture is one that shows some of the rapids we went through and how much water got thrown into the boat. I was sitting up front and we took the brunt of the water coming in. I was very pleased with the lens and camera performance. It was really difficult to shoot from one moving raft while trying to frame another moving raft. I know the original question was regarding the K7 and not the K10D. If I am not mistaken, but, does not Pentax claim the K7 is sealed better than the K10/20D?
Attached Images

08-09-2009, 01:55 AM   #21

Would other camera brands survive?

I know this may offend some of the people who claim that Pentax is somewhat inferior to the more "popular" brands. I also shoot a Nikon D80 and would NEVER put that camera through what I put my K10D though. I would not put a D300 or 50D through what I put my K10D through. They would not survive without spending more than double what I have invested in my setup. My K10D has been covered in mud, water, concrete/mortor (yes concrete, but before it set up ), dust, and sand. It has spent over two hours soaking wet during the rafting trip mentioned above as well as over an hour and 45 minutes in a driving rain storm. All with no protection other than what was provided by Pentax in the box the camera came in. If the K7 is half as tough as the K10D it will be a remarkable camera. I cannot wait to try one out.
08-09-2009, 12:36 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Well, according to the blog, there's an edit at the top that states "(Note for you none-chinese reader: THESE ARE NOT K-7 SAMPLE PHOTOS)" No deal?

08-09-2009, 02:34 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Salt water is pretty aggressive stuff; I would be very reluctant to subject a K20D or K-7 - not withstanding their weather sealing - to the kind of dousing produced by solid water flying across a boat's bow. The shot below of salt spray hitting my boat (taken and posted last week) is about as "close" as I'm prepared to get.

Nevertheless, having said all that, I must say I've (carefully) taken photos off of pitching sailboats for thirty years with all kinds of cameras - never one damaged yet.

Jer

08-09-2009, 03:08 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentax_XTC Quote
My question is about the weather sealing for the internal microphone. Obviously it needs the 2 holes by the built in flash to get sound; but if I'm stuck in the rain what keeps water from damaging the mic?
I've wondered that myself. It would be the same for the hole for the internal mic.

Having said that, I had the kids at the beach just after I got the k-7 and put it through the paces. It got some water on it from the kids splashing but never missed a beat - nor has it suffered any ill effect since.

I don't have any photos of a wet camera, but here's a shot of my daughter plowing through the water towards me, and both the lens and body got nailed in the series of shots that this came from:

08-09-2009, 06:53 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
My main question is exactly what PSI rating the seals have. There needs to be a ballpark value or the sealing is meaningless. Right now it is hope the exposure is not too much for them to handle.

As for salt water exposure. I have no issue with salt water exposure on my K20D. I used to do a lot of salt water fishing for fun. Reels make the cost of a camera body look like peanuts. Rods are even more expensive. Even the best metals and alloy's or even ceramics will eventually corrode from salt water exposure. The key to it is a good rinsing in fresh water as soon as possible, ideally w/o allowing the water to dry on the body before rinsing. Using a gentle stream from a faucet should present zero problem for the seals as long as one takes care to not blast the water flow into the seals. The idea is just to get the salt and other minerals off the body and portion of the seals which are exposed.

When it comes to cleaning gear fishing or camera, the sooner after exposure the better. Actually the same goes for river, lake or whatever water. I like to carry or keep gallon bottles of distilled water for a final rinse after the tap water and even soft water can be corrosive to rubber seals so that final rinse can only help.

My other concern with respect to the sealing is a really basic one...what is the lifespan before they begin to break down. What are the seals made of? That will help the consumer know what is reasonable to expect. I certainly hope they are not simply some form of rubber. Then again I have no idea what the current level of these things might be...

To me the sealing is in the top two reasons for switching to Pentax...along with in body SR. So the more details Pentax offers the happier a user I will be...

The cynic in my says that a reason they will not disclose these things are to keep people buying new lenses over used...right now a lot of competition comes from 20-30yr old lenses they made themselves. I see people who take a lot of shots out in the elements selling they lenses fairly often just to be safe.
08-09-2009, 09:42 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by brecklundin Quote
My main question is exactly what PSI rating the seals have. There needs to be a ballpark value or the sealing is meaningless. Right now it is hope the exposure is not too much for them to handle.
Sounds like it's somewhere around 14.7 PSI.
08-09-2009, 09:44 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
Sounds like it's somewhere around 14.7 PSI.
har....

actually 14.9psi sounds about right....

hmmmm...makes a person wonder what the internal pressure is...I mean I would hate to have a seal blow at the top of Mt. Whitney...
08-09-2009, 09:53 PM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentax_XTC Quote
I have a trusty Optio 43WR that is waterproof (it can be totally immersed in water) - it has a microphone protected by a waterproof membrene (under the 4 little holes in the casing). I suspect the K7 has something similar.
08-09-2009, 11:49 PM   #29
Forum Member

The Test I Never Wanted To Perform - Today I Had To

Bonjour,

I've never tried the dust- and water-sealing of my K10D and DA* 16-50mm SDM lens. But today, I had no alternative

Get the full story with pictures at The Test I Never Wanted To Perform - Today I Had To.

Well, take care of your gear :ugh:, but it's worth knowing water-sealing works as advertised
08-10-2009, 05:53 AM   #30

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
What Canon DSLR is waterproof ?
Canon EOS-1D and EOS 1Ds can go under water for about 3 meters if mounted with the 'Top of the line' L series Lens. (I'm not sure...but I think they can.)