Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-26-2009, 05:42 AM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
So, I jump FF bandwagon as soon as full pixel pitch full frame is affordable
I agree. But, assuming K20D/K-7 resolution, that'll be when >32MP FF sensors become affordable. I'm not holding my breath.

05-26-2009, 08:22 AM   #17

it wasn't too long ago that i wasnt a photographer because i didnt want to pay for film and apc-s dslr were >$2500. FF prices WILL come down just as any 'expensive and new' technology does. it will only be a matter of time.

and in the meantime, i see pentax equipment on ebay all the time with item description saying "SELLING ALL PENTAX GEAR. i switched to FF canikon" Some people would buy FF pentax at that price if they could. not me tho . i'll wait for it to be at current apc-s prices.

i think maybe pentax is waiting for production costs to decrease, and market share for FF to increase before they make a dive. might be a few years tho but i really think they will eventually go into FF.

and to anyone saying they have to invent FF lenses. they definitely do, but they don't have to reinvent the wheel. they still have those old school FF lens designs and legendary FA limiteds to work off of, and I'm sure no one would argue against it if they made some updates on it.
05-28-2009, 07:13 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wll Quote
I was thinking if the FF was lets say 22 Mega Pixel, maybe the APS-C secton would be 12 to 15 MP.

Do you guys think that is possible ?

wll
An APS-C crop (ala Pentax) of a 22 MP FF camera would be 9.24 MP. The Pentax APS-C crop is 42% of FF, similar to Nikon (Canon is smaller, Sigma smaller still).
05-28-2009, 08:26 PM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by eyou Quote
it wasn't too long ago that i wasnt a photographer because i didnt want to pay for film and apc-s dslr were >$2500. FF prices WILL come down just as any 'expensive and new' technology does. it will only be a matter of time.

and in the meantime, i see pentax equipment on ebay all the time with item description saying "SELLING ALL PENTAX GEAR. i switched to FF canikon" Some people would buy FF pentax at that price if they could. not me tho . i'll wait for it to be at current apc-s prices.

i think maybe pentax is waiting for production costs to decrease, and market share for FF to increase before they make a dive. might be a few years tho but i really think they will eventually go into FF.

and to anyone saying they have to invent FF lenses. they definitely do, but they don't have to reinvent the wheel. they still have those old school FF lens designs and legendary FA limiteds to work off of, and I'm sure no one would argue against it if they made some updates on it.
I agree completely with your summary. It just does not make business sense for them at this time. Timing can be everything with new technology. Pioneer was a leader in early plasma screens. This year Pioneer announced they are pulling out of the business all together. Just think of the leading edge development costs that they absorbed and others benefited from. Samsung or Sony of course take the brunt of the R&D risk in this case, however, there is a critical price point that makes sense for the vast majority of Pentax customers and potential customers. That point will come into focus eventually, in the mean time APS-C still has great value and purpose.

06-01-2009, 03:53 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I really don't think it matters too great. Think about Olympus shooters!
06-02-2009, 09:33 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Photomy Quote
I agree completely with your summary. It just does not make business sense for them at this time. Timing can be everything with new technology. Pioneer was a leader in early plasma screens. This year Pioneer announced they are pulling out of the business all together. Just think of the leading edge development costs that they absorbed and others benefited from. Samsung or Sony of course take the brunt of the R&D risk in this case, however, there is a critical price point that makes sense for the vast majority of Pentax customers and potential customers. That point will come into focus eventually, in the mean time APS-C still has great value and purpose.
the first video review that I saw on youtube for the K-7
said "finally pentax shooters have a place to grow..." if I did not know pentax and was looking for a new camera that would have scared me, they also say on that review that pentax is the slowest in updating new cameras. all that before they even started to speak about the K-7

nothing makes more sens for pentax then having a full line of camera from entry level to pro ... BC no matter how great their intermediate camera will be .. every review will always start with... "with pentax you don't have a place to grow"

I am not being negative .. I love my pentax and I think the K-7 with video is amazing!! I am sure the next stage will be a FF camera nothing else make sens to me