Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-25-2009, 12:05 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Full Frame - With a Twist ?

Maybe, just maybe if Pentax comes out with a full frame camera, it will have a user friendly "SENSOR CROP MODE" where if you wanted to use the APS-C size section of that sensor you could. That would also give them the option to use the square format many thought was coming in the K-7 also.

If Pentax did that ...... I would get it ... and your listening to a confirmed APS-C guy :-)

wll

05-25-2009, 12:16 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Nikon D3x/D3/D700 already have that feature. They call it "DX Crop" I believe. On the D3 and D700 it gives you a 5mp image.
05-25-2009, 12:27 PM   #3
Veteran Member

It's a great feature to have.
05-25-2009, 12:35 PM   #4
wll
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tyler Quote
Nikon D3x/D3/D700 already have that feature. They call it "DX Crop" I believe. On the D3 and D700 it gives you a 5mp image.
I was thinking if the FF was lets say 22 Mega Pixel, maybe the APS-C secton would be 12 to 15 MP.

Do you guys think that is possible ?

wll

05-25-2009, 12:55 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I guess it would be less than 11.
05-25-2009, 01:04 PM   #6

LOL. Don't you love how people's opinion can change overnight?

Before, it was "Whats with this FF posting? I don't need no stinking FF".

Now a couple of fake images of DFA lenses get the same people all excited about FF.
05-25-2009, 02:45 PM   #7
wll
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cousinsane Quote
LOL. Don't you love how people's opinion can change overnight?

Before, it was "Whats with this FF posting? I don't need no stinking FF".

Now a couple of fake images of DFA lenses get the same people all excited about FF.
If and ONLY if the FF can have a setting for high quality APS-C sensor shooting ...... that way the good money you spent on DA lenses is not wasted and Pentax ends up Pi##ing folks off.

You could have your cake and eat it too, those wide primes in FF would be awesome, and the teles in APS-C would be great.

It would be a win win situation for Pentax and would set them apart I believe ...... but the APS-C "SENSOR CROP MODE" would have to still yield ~10-14 MP IMHO (of course that depends on the MP the sensor is in FF).

wll

05-25-2009, 04:24 PM   #8
Forum Member

Frankly, I don't think this makes much sense. I think Pentax will stay happily in the APS-C market, given that they've released quite a lot good digital lenses.
05-25-2009, 04:48 PM   #9
Veteran Member

If (and thats a big 'IF' in the next couple of years) pentax releases a FF camera, I think it's a given that they'll have a crop mode when used with APS-C lenses. However, even if they don't, as long as the mount remains the same as it currently is, you can do your own cropping in post-processing, making your square, circle, triangle, rectangle or whatever you want, with a minimum of effort. As long as the aps-c lenses can be mounted to the body, it's really a non-issue.
05-25-2009, 06:12 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wll Quote
Maybe, just maybe if Pentax comes out with a full frame camera, it will have a user friendly "SENSOR CROP MODE" where if you wanted to use the APS-C size section of that sensor you could. That would also give them the option to use the square format many thought was coming in the K-7 also.
wll, I am with you here.

FF only makes sense (for Pentax shooters) if it provides a full superset over APS-C. So, in my comparisons, I normally assume identical pixel pitch.

There is no doubt that you would get your crop mode. More of a concern is that crop isn't automatic on DA lenses with a large image circle like the DA 70 Ltd. Crop mode helps keeping raw files small -- so, it is useful.

If you look at the price of D700 vs. D3X though, full frame at full pixel pitch seems to be not one price step, but two price steps away

So, I jump FF bandwagon as soon as full pixel pitch full frame is affordable
05-25-2009, 06:22 PM   #11
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My thoughts about why they won't go FF in the near future? Because it will be perceived as a Pro camera. That would cost a bundle in back end support. It's not just the cost of new lenses and the new design but having to offer specialized support for the pro shooter who needs overnight service, loaners and dedicated support. Then you have to promote against two well entrenched players firmly established in that category. For a small company, that's daunting. Now if they sell a million K-7's in the next 12 months.....

Add to that, these expensive FF bodies only account for 2-3% of the market. That's a huge cost for a small segment of the market.

Plus we're all cheap skates. How many are prepared to pony up $3-4000 for a full frame Pro level body? Then wait for lenses that will give you the benefits of the bigger sensor.
05-25-2009, 06:24 PM   #12
Forum Member

Why is it that people want to be placated by a crop function on a FF camera by Pentax. If you are happy with, and commited to APS-C, then stick with those models. Pentax will clearly continue to develop and support the format even if they make a full frame camera. So there is no reason to be concerned with these capabilities in a FF camera. Just a thought.
05-25-2009, 07:34 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wll Quote
I was thinking if the FF was lets say 22 Mega Pixel, maybe the APS-C secton would be 12 to 15 MP.

Do you guys think that is possible ?

wll
Nope, if the full-frame is 22MP, then the APS-C cropped section will be 9.4MP.

The MP ratio between the two formats is roughly 2.34 for Pentax crop factor.
05-25-2009, 07:36 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
My thoughts about why they won't go FF in the near future? Because it will be perceived as a Pro camera. That would cost a bundle in back end support. It's not just the cost of new lenses and the new design but having to offer specialized support for the pro shooter who needs overnight service, loaners and dedicated support. Then you have to promote against two well entrenched players firmly established in that category. For a small company, that's daunting. Now if they sell a million K-7's in the next 12 months.....

Add to that, these expensive FF bodies only account for 2-3% of the market. That's a huge cost for a small segment of the market.

Plus we're all cheap skates. How many are prepared to pony up $3-4000 for a full frame Pro level body? Then wait for lenses that will give you the benefits of the bigger sensor.
Peter, Pentax USA have already established a Pro service. No idea how well it's working, but I know it's there.

As to your last paragraph, I agree 100%. So many people on this forum would shut up and keep their money in their pockets if Pentax released a FF. Me included
05-25-2009, 09:44 PM   #15
wll
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Miserere Quote
Nope, if the full-frame is 22MP, then the APS-C cropped section will be 9.4MP.

The MP ratio between the two formats is roughly 2.34 for Pentax crop factor.
Miserere,

I could live with 9.4MP .. that is do able. It will be interesting to see the pixel size.

Of course they will probably have a square option also which would be very cool.

wll