Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-26-2009, 02:11 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
It doesn't have to be. D400 will cost at least 50% more than K-7, probably even more when D400 is actually on the shelf. K-7 has a lot for its price, and some features that D400 won't be able to match.
Probably OT but I really wonder how Nikon is going to get a D400 out at $2000 when they already have the D700 in this price region... ... the D400 better be a hell of a good camera...

05-26-2009, 06:59 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Roberts Quote
If you're going to quote something, quote it properly... No where does it say 'Only' buttons are sealed. This is lifted from the article you mention:
**There are numerous rubber gasket seals around body seams, controls and compartment doors.**

D300 is fully sealed, as is D3 and D3x. D700 isn't as it doesn't have a gasket around the battery door.
05-26-2009, 09:24 AM   #18

Photos: Albums
From the same review -

QuoteQuote:
Nikon D300 Key Features
12.3 megapixel DX format CMOS sensor
Self-cleaning sensor unit (low-pass filter vibration)
ISO 200 - 3200 (6400 with boost)
14-bit A/D conversion
Nikon EXPEED image processor (Capture NX processing and NR algorithms, lower power)
Super fast operation (power-up 13 ms, shutter lag 45 ms, black-out 100 ms)
Shutter life 150,000 exposures
New Multi-CAM3500DX Auto Focus sensor (51-point, 15 cross-type, more vertical coverage)
Auto-focus tracking by color (using information from 1005-pixel AE sensor)
Auto-focus calibration (fine-tuning) now available (fixed body or up to 20 separate lens settings)
Scene Recognition System (uses AE sensor, AF sensor)
Picture Control image parameter presets (replace Color Modes I, II and III)
Custom image parameters now support brightness as well as contrast
Six frames per second continuous shooting (eight frames per second with battery pack)
Compact Flash UDMA support
3.0" 922,000 pixel LCD monitor
Live View with either phase detect (mirror up/down) or contrast detect Auto Focus
HDMI HD video output
'Active D-Lighting' (adjusts metering as well as applying D-Lighting curve)
Detailed 'Control Panel' type display on LCD monitor, changes color in darkness
New MB-D10 vertical grip fully integrates into body, multi battery type compatible
Buttons sealed against moisture
While it doesnt say "only", the summary on the front of the review does insinuate just the buttons. I havent scoured the rest of the article, so I dont know if/where more is stated. This is probably what the OP was talking about.
05-26-2009, 10:28 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
I don't know who is going to give Pentax the award, but I am calling it here first!!
I think it is too early to start this discussion.
Let us have it in the stores before we praise the product to that extend.
We have not seen any of the production firmware results so far.

- Bert

05-26-2009, 11:37 AM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote
I can't think of anything that the D400 'won't' be able to match, except maybe body size...
Nikon has the resources to match everything, but I doubt they would match even half of the K-7 advantages over the D300, listed below. In bold are the features I'm pretty sure the D400 won't match.

- In-body image stabilization (SR)
- HD video (720P, control over aperture and brightness, stereo mic socket, contrast-detect AF)
- $400 less expensive
- 175 gram lighter; significantly smaller

- DNG support (with lossless compression)
- Digital level with manual or automatic correction using sensor tilt
- Pixel remapping
- Digital preview
- The green button; ISO, WB and Menu button accessible using the right hand; RAW button
- Automatic AF correction based on ambient light color temperature
- 3-exposure HDR; Multiple exposures up to 9 exposures (without tone mapping or overexposure)
- HyperProgram
- Higher resolution (14.6 MP vs. 12.3MP)
- LCD color calibration
- Cold weather support down to -10 degree C
- Dust alert
- Composition adjustment via sensor shift
- Copyright embedding in EXIF

Prog.
05-26-2009, 11:38 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bymy141 Quote
I think it is too early to start this discussion.
Let us have it in the stores before we praise the product to that extend.
We have not seen any of the production firmware results so far.
Why not? Many reviewers are already very impressed with the output from beta firmware.
05-26-2009, 01:05 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I say that the K-7 wins because it is more impressive to pack a compact body with tons of features than make something big with tons of features, and for this sole reason - the K-7 wins against the coming Nikon D400.

In many ways the coming Nikon will be similar to the Pentax, with a small advantage in continous shooting speed, and it will probably also feature an electronic level indicator (but no automatic level adjustment), plus an autofocus with more cross sensors. Still, the K-7 will be so much smaller and have a lower price (it is already lower priced than the Nikon D300) and with affordable weather sealed lenses (something not available for Nikon), the K-7 is a clear winner.

05-26-2009, 01:54 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
Why not? Many reviewers are already very impressed with the output from beta firmware.
I did download a few of the .dng files of the Pentax.eu website yesterday, and I'm not impressed AT ALL by the ISO 200 performance. It is terrible.
The blue in the sky is filled with chromatic noise artifacts. My K10D beats it's IQ hands down. So far, I consider the K7 results as wishfull thinking until I see some real proof.

- Bert

Last edited by bymy141; 05-26-2009 at 02:00 PM.
05-26-2009, 09:43 PM   #24
Forum Member

Bert, have a little faith. In this day and age, has Pentax released a camera that is inferior to the one before it???
The claims they are making now are rather bold especially considering how modest Pentax normally is... This isn't a loudmouth company like canikon - they play it cool and release great cameras. Enjoy waiting and finding out for yourself soon.
05-26-2009, 10:13 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Got chance to play the preproduction (w/ v0.3 firmware) for a short while yesterday, I'd say I really love this new camera. The shutter sound is so much quieter than K20D, and the shutter lag is much less too, kinda like using a Canon camera Indoor AF is pretty fast w/ the two new kit lenses, definitely faster than K20D. The video w/ sound feature is pretty cool and easy to use. LCD is much better now when viewing photos or use live view. When held in hand, it feels more snuggish, probably due to its slightly narrower body and deaper grip.

Since it's still quite far from a final product, I can't comment on IQ or video quality, but I don't think Pentax would make it w/ worse IQ than our K20D

It's definitely Camera of the Year to me, and I'd buy one as soon as it's available locally.
05-26-2009, 10:58 PM   #26

QuoteOriginally posted by Prognathous Quote
Nikon has the resources to match everything, but I doubt they would match even half of the K-7 advantages over the D300, listed below. In bold are the features I'm pretty sure the D400 won't match.

- HD video (720P, control over aperture and brightness, stereo mic socket, contrast-detect AF)
- $400 less expensive
- 175 gram lighter; significantly smaller

- DNG support (with lossless compression)
- Digital level with manual or automatic correction using sensor tilt
- Pixel remapping
- Digital preview
- The green button; ISO, WB and Menu button accessible using the right hand; RAW button
- Automatic AF correction based on ambient light color temperature
- 3-exposure HDR; Multiple exposures up to 9 exposures (without tone mapping or overexposure)
- HyperProgram
- LCD color calibration
- Cold weather support down to -10 degree C
- Dust alert
- Composition adjustment via sensor shift
- Copyright embedding in EXIF

Prog.
be interested to hear at what point you take IQ into account??

if the D400 has none of those features, but delivers an IQ significantly better than the K-7, would you still say the k-7 s should be camera of the year and has "advantages" over any other manufacturer??
05-26-2009, 11:13 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by StephenG Quote
When we have a chance to see pictures from production cameras?

Seriously, if we aren't allowed to speculate and talk about it until the production firmware, we might as well hold off any more discussions in this forum about K-7 until July!
05-26-2009, 11:31 PM   #28

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxScott Quote

While it doesnt say "only", the summary on the front of the review does insinuate just the buttons. I havent scoured the rest of the article, so I dont know if/where more is stated. This is probably what the OP was talking about.
Thanks! That was my thought.
05-26-2009, 11:54 PM   #29

QuoteOriginally posted by StephenG Quote
I listed several features that are related to IQ.

But before I repeat them, let's first go over some history:

D100 IQ was very similar to *ist D
D200 IQ was very similar to K10D
D300 IQ was very similar to K20D

Reasonable expectation: D400 IQ should be very similar to K-7.

By "very similar" I refer to IQ that requires intensive pixel-peeping to tell apart.

Now let's get back to some of the points I listed.

Most Nikon lenses are not stabilized, so compared to those the K-7 offers about 3 stops advantage, far more than any possible difference between the sensors high-ISO output. Which combination would you bet to offer the better image quality for a typical portrait:

- K-7@ISO 800 + Pentax 55/1.4@1.4 (or K-7@ISO 1600 + Pentax 55/1.4@2.0)
or
- D400@ISO 6400 + Nikkor 50/1.4@1.4

- 3-exposure HDR

For stationary subjects, this feature give you much more DR than the D400 could hope to achieve without post processing. Better yet, the K-7 HDR samples I've seen so far look much more natural than most post-processed HDR's which have that the painted-artificial look.

- Multiple exposures up to 9 exposures (without tone mapping or overexposure

Again for stationary subjects, this feature delivers image quality that's equivalent to what you get from ISO 11 (9 exposures) or ISO 25 (4 exposures). Great for product shots and still life.

It's too early to tell what resolution the D400 will offer, but if Nikon uses the (excellent) D90 sensor then they'll lag behind the K-7.

Bottom line: Judging from the last three match ups and from the likely D400 deficit in IQ-related features, it most likely won't offer a significant IQ advantage to warrant the extra $400 and the loss of so many useful features.

Prog.
05-27-2009, 03:04 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote
I can't think of anything that the D400 'won't' be able to match, except maybe body size...
Uh, does in-camera image stabilization count as something that the D400 won't have? Who knows, Nikon may actually break down and offer this feature, but thus far they have not, because it would cut into their sales of IS lenses.

Rob