Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-25-2009, 03:36 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
pentax and samsung

Sorry having posted this on the wrong place.
I'm intesrested in the new future hypothetic Samsung NX series.
Happy owner of a istDs and two limited lenses (43 and 21) I'd like to be able to use them from time to time on a lighter and less obstrusive body. Does any Pentaxian in this very useful (for me) forum, know if it will be possible to mount K lenses on the Samsung body ? Do Pentax and Samsung still work together? Where can I find information?
Wishing good pictures and sending saludos to all Pentax users (and to others too.....) Thanks to all.
Magnolio from Lima Peru*

05-25-2009, 05:47 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Samsung's officer said that they will build their own lens system , and samsung's nx has no moto to drive most K mount lens
05-25-2009, 06:04 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by magnolio Quote
Happy owner of a istDs and two limited lenses (43 and 21) I'd like to be able to use them from time to time on a lighter and less obstrusive body. Does any Pentaxian in this very useful (for me) forum, know if it will be possible to mount K lenses on the Samsung body ? Do Pentax and Samsung still work together? Where can I find information?
If you are lucky, Samsung will sell a K mount adapter for the NX. Without it, you cannot mount K lenses because the NX body is shallow (so-called registration distance between mount and sensor is too small).

But even with a K mount adapter for the NX, 43 and 21 would be bulky on an NX and native NX lenses ín this focal range would be a much better fit.
05-25-2009, 06:52 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by magnolio Quote
Wishing good pictures and sending saludos to all Pentax users (and to others too.....) Thanks to all.
Magnolio from Lima Peru*
Samsung has been real quite lately. But keep in mind that the K-7 uses the Samsung CMOS sensor so the liklihood of them still collaborating is good.
Lets face it in business terms Pentax will owe/pay them a bunch of money. Awhile back I would have said that would definitely involve a trade of services as partial payment (engineering ect) but since samsung camera has been split off of the mothership this may not be so likely anymore. I still think they will trade something though.
Samsung pretty much never admitted the Schneider lenses were Pentax lenses either but this might imply that the "new lenses" could still be Pentax designed, Hoya blanks and just assembled "somewhere".... as to appear "Samsung" or whatever... For some reason they are quite funny about this issue...
bottom line is we just have to wait and see, or hope for some kind of leak.

05-25-2009, 08:10 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks to all for answering. Let's wait and see. I think I could accept the bulkiness of 43 and 21 if the adapter ring does not change the focal length. I agree that native lenses by Samsung would fit better the NX, but will they have the "rendu" of my limited? I doubt it.
Best. Magnolio.
05-26-2009, 02:13 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Samsung made the NX project without involvement from Pentax, but Pentax and Samsung are still developing DSLR technologies together (sensors, imaging pipelines, autofocus systems, metering things and so on). Samsung has said that it will come an adapter so that Samsung's K-mount lenses can be mounted on the NX-body. Most probably only manual focus.

As for the future, Samsung is working on a 24x36 version of their APS-C 14.6Mp sensor, for a future Samsung 24x36 body.
05-26-2009, 03:41 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RMabo Quote

As for the future, Samsung is working on a 24x36 version of their APS-C 14.6Mp sensor, for a future Samsung 24x36 body.
Personal insider info or taken from the "internet/press buzz" of late 2008?