Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-03-2009, 10:20 AM   #106
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deejjjaaaa Quote
apparently you can't completely - the same story as it was in K20D
Now you are speculating.

"The difference in the characteristic of the noise is i think due to K-7 not using the internal RAW noise reduction at high ISO like the k20d (see GordonBgoods posts for more information about this). The K-7 noise looks much like that of the old 6 MP CCD cameras. "

Just had a look at RAWs in ACR: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

There are obvious different opinions on this, and no wonder - since we are still talking about pre-production samples and not final production cameras.

06-03-2009, 10:22 AM   #107
Veteran Member

K-7 might be faster than K20D (just because it has to be able to come close to 5FPS) but that does not make it faster than D300 if you will think a little bit about D300 capable to shoot 8 FPS.
You are making a theory about the D300 having faster fps just because of a faster shutter lag, and because the K-7 do 5.2 fps it must have a longer shutter lag - because the shutter lag determines the fps and nothing else.

Well, I can see lots of problems with your theory.
The K-7 can have shorter shutter lag than the D300 and still be 5.2 fps.
You can't judge the shutter lag in the K-7 soley based upon the fps speed.
06-03-2009, 10:27 AM   #108
Veteran Member

Pentax has it for modern lenses and Nikon has it for modern lenses...
Pentax MTF chip entered the lenses in the KAF2 lenses from 1991 and onwards.
Since then, all Pentax lenses are individually tested at the factory and the MTF is coded in the lens. The difference between the D FA and DA lenses compared to the FA lenses, is that the D FA and DA lenses has even more information and this is read by the distorsion and lateral CA correction.

Already in the early 90's, did Pentax release the MTF program - a program mode that sets the best aperture for the mounted lens (the aperture that gives the highest resolution for the lens).

Pentax was years ahead of Nikon here.
06-03-2009, 01:11 PM   #109
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RMabo Quote
The K20D was positioned by Pentax as advanced DSLR, the K10D was positioned by Pentax as Popular class DSLR, so the K20D was already one step up from the K10D, the direct replacement for the K10D was actually the K200D because K200D is in popular class - same class as the K10D was targeting.

K-7, however, is on the top of APS-C cameras, semi-pro/pro class. This is above the K20D class.

D200 and D300 were both in the same class. But the K10D -> K20D -> K-7 development means a change of the class. Or to put it easier: D200 = D300. K-7 > K20D > K10D. K200D = K10D.
we do not care how Pentax marketing wants us to believe in positioning of their cameras - K-7 still sits in the same niche as K10D/K20D were... that is under the line of D100-D200-D300-D400... of course K-7 is much better than K20D (not talking about sensor here !!!) usability wise, etc... but it did not get to the new level (unfortunately... or fortunately, because the cost 'd be more)...

06-03-2009, 01:18 PM   #110
Veteran Member

You don't recognize that D300 nor the coming D400 beats the K-7 hands down.
I did not state that D300 beats K-7 is all aspects - there are many things in K-7 that are of course better than D300 has/D400 will have... but 1) position wise D300 still the king the APS-C market and D400... well probably will be the new one... and 2) there are several important features where K20D was not able to beat or match D300... now as an example (to comment on important above) I personally do not consider HDR in camera as important as 8FPS, even I do not need either of them - when I do HDR I use off camera software and I do not even use whatever fps available on my K20D...
06-03-2009, 01:23 PM   #111
Veteran Member

Mr Gordon speculates, but if your want to take his speculations as truth then so be it. But it is still speculation.
his speculation, unlike yours, based on raw files posted by Pentax itself... I can trust you to know the list of features that some future camera will have as that list will be published by Pentax marketing... but I doubt that even Ned B. knows much more about changes that Samsung did in its sensor vs analysis done by Gordon & Others... because it is not marketing bullshit neither it is something that available outside of R&D labs to marketing people who are not few priviledged in Japan.
06-03-2009, 04:30 PM   #112
Veteran Member

Now you are speculating.

"The difference in the characteristic of the noise is i think due to K-7 not using the internal RAW noise reduction at high ISO like the k20d (see GordonBgoods posts for more information about this). The K-7 noise looks much like that of the old 6 MP CCD cameras. "

Just had a look at RAWs in ACR: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

There are obvious different opinions on this, and no wonder - since we are still talking about pre-production samples and not final production cameras.
you did not include the following line from the same author - "noise apperance is different but overall levels seem similar to k20" and this one "Iso 100
- The flower shot looks quite noisy in the shadows. The k20d was poor in this regard and the K-7 seems no better. Subjectively speaking it seems even worse. The faster readout of the new 4 channel sensor has maybe made it worse.
"
06-03-2009, 05:11 PM   #113
Veteran Member

Since then, all Pentax lenses are individually tested at the factory and the MTF is coded in the lens.
where did you get that information about individually testing each lenses ? you do not need to test each one individually for as long as lenses are assembled properly their MTF are not sufficiently different at a given focal lens given the fact that aperture change is discrete w/ 1/3 or 1/2 stops, unless the quality of aperture assembly itself is horrible... did you ever saw 2 fixed (for simplicity) lens of the same model that were giving 2 different best apertures being mounted on the same camera ? or is it some kind of a bs like you said about DNG using lossy compression of the raw data ?