Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-26-2009, 09:24 PM   #1
Nubi

K20D's days are numbered???

This reportedly rather eccentric looking k200D replacement that is to arrive before Christmas will have better specs than current K20D. So what will happen to K20D? Phased out by Christmas? Replacement? It kills me because I know that some of you already know the answer....

Last edited by Nubi; 05-27-2009 at 06:15 PM.
05-26-2009, 09:35 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Nubi Quote
It kills me [...]
Why? As said many times before, the a discontinued model doesn't stop taking pictures.. My K10D still does a great job (even though it seems to feel it'll get a little brother )
05-26-2009, 09:55 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nubi Quote
This reportedly eccentric looking k200D replacement that is to arrive before Christmas will have better spec than current K20D. So what will happen to K20D? Phased out by Christmas? Replacement? It kills me because I know that some of you already know the answer....
There have been hints (from Pentax sources?) that the K-7 is not the K20D replacement. If that is the case, what could we expect from a K20D replacement that is a level above the K-7?

At the current rate of updated specs on about and 18 month cycle (Moores Law?) it makes CBA a more virulent malady than LBA

Take care,

David
05-27-2009, 01:16 AM   #4

As reported by Mike Johnston in The Online Photographer, the introduction of the K-7 means the end of life of the K-20D.

Now, Pentax has said several times that the K-7 is not a direct replacement of the K-20D, but rather a "new concept". In this view, it migth be possible that the K-20D has a successor later in the year, maybe in the form of a K300.

But fact is that the K-20D can be considered out of production. Yet, I cosign the comment above: the K-20D will be a most capable dSLR camera for years to come, and unless you suffer a severe form of acute lastitis, you could happily live with it for a longtime. For instance, I own a K10-D and it works fine, outcompeting my photographic capabilities pretty much always.

05-27-2009, 01:50 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I do not see how the K20D and the K-7 can coexist. Roland expects a K-7 junior version, (trimmed down) indicating a K200D replacement, Maybe the old processor will be used as well as the older chips? Or it could be as simple as having a K200D plastic body with extra wheel, cheaper 3 inch screen, old 3.5 FPS from K-m and pentamirror. I do not see how they can take anything else. Maybe the Sony chip could be used, but I would expect the Samsung. Oh and it could use the old D-LI50 battery.
05-27-2009, 06:34 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Pentax has said that a successor to the K20D will not come. The K-7 is not a direct replacement, it is a "new concept". The coming K200D replacement, that I call K-7 junior (could very well be called K-70 by Pentax) comes later this year.

So, the setup will be - from top to bottom:
K-7 -- "K-70" -- K-m

Three cameras. There isn't any room for an additional camera, above the "K-70" (or whatever it will be called) and below the K-7.

Pentax has said, through Mr John C from Pentax US, that the K20D will still be offered for some time. K200D is discontinued, but the K20D is still available. My bet is that availability drops when the new "K-70" / "K-7 junior" comes later this year.

I expect the new budget model of the K-7 to have 3.5 fps, 92% pentamirror, 1/4000 shutter, same 14.6Mp sensor for live view and video recording, plastic outer shell over a steel chassi, one control wheel instead of two (so a simpler version of Hyper-modes), automatic picture modes. I hope they will retain automatic level function, but we'll have to wait and see...
05-27-2009, 06:51 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K7000?

I am very curious for the next step of entry level...
If the K7000 is sealed as wel, an still smaller than the KM-D, I might be inclined to dump all K and one *st body I have for a K7000D / K-7 kit.

05-27-2009, 07:05 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RMabo Quote
I expect the new budget model of the K-7 to have 3.5 fps, 92% pentamirror, 1/4000 shutter, same 14.6Mp sensor for live view and video recording, plastic outer shell over a steel chassi, one control wheel instead of two (so a simpler version of Hyper-modes), automatic picture modes. I hope they will retain automatic level function, but we'll have to wait and see...
I agree, and my tip is for release in time for Christmas.
Also reckon that the K-m will probably be upgraded sometime next year, with the new body running the same styling cues as K-7.
05-27-2009, 08:16 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by janneman Quote
I am very curious for the next step of entry level...
If the K7000 is sealed as wel, an still smaller than the KM-D, I might be inclined to dump all K and one *st body I have for a K7000D / K-7 kit.
I believe then name K-700 may be more in line than K7000, but who knows... names are sketchy until the cameras appears. And Pentax are famous for changing ideas often when it comes to names. It wasn't that long ago that Pentax stated KxD - pro serie, Kx0D - advanced/enthusiast, Kx00D - popular class and Kx000D - entry level. And when the K-m was released just slightly more than half a year after this statement, the idea of a 4 level KxD to Kx000D-setup was already gone.

05-27-2009, 10:28 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just bought a second K20 with a 3 year warranty back in April. I'll bet it takes great pictures for quite some time after the K-7 becomes available. Heck, my original K20 that is now out of warranty is still going strong and taking stellar photos. I don't see what a new model has to do with the functionality of an old model.
05-27-2009, 10:58 AM   #11

All specs you list sound very logical. I just hope Pentax keeps the seals, because now that they have two sealed kit lenses this feature actually makes sense in a namateur DSLR.

Prog.
05-27-2009, 01:03 PM   #12
Veteran Member

The K200D was sealed and is in popular class, which is the same class the new "K-7 junior" or "K-70" (or whatever), will be. Also note that Hoya said last year that they would introduce new compact and weather sealed, robust cameras this year, this is the niche they are creating. Not only the K-7... And then they said it would come three DSLR's for this year, and of those one was an update to an existing model. It seems that the K-m white was the "update to existing model". The K-7 has been announced and so we are awaiting the third and last one for this year.

So yes, the new weather sealed versions of 18-55 and 50-200 will match the new weather sealed "junior" version of the K-7 very well.
05-27-2009, 01:06 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by davemdsn Quote
I just bought a second K20 with a 3 year warranty back in April. I'll bet it takes great pictures for quite some time after the K-7 becomes available. Heck, my original K20 that is now out of warranty is still going strong and taking stellar photos. I don't see what a new model has to do with the functionality of an old model.
Agreed. I think most of this fuss is just words. K7 is the successor to K20, but with HD video. Otherwise it pretty much is the same sensor, same WR, similar good viewfinder, same lenses, altho some with WR, and same starting price.

I don't expect the IQ of the K7 to be any different than the K20 which is excellent, perhaps different noise treatment.

Meanwhile my K20 and K10 will go on taking great images!
05-27-2009, 06:02 PM   #14
Pentaxian

So yes, the new weather sealed versions of 18-55 and 50-200 will match the new weather sealed "junior" version of the K-7 very well.
Agreed, I think spec-wise, the K-7 is designed to complement the sealed DA* lenses, while the new DA WR lenses are aimed more at a entry-mid level sealed body; ie k-70 or whatever.

I think when Pentax said that the K-7 wasn't a 'replacement' for the Kx0D line it was because they'd acknowledged that the K20D, while a great camera, somewhat missed the marketing niche it was aimed at, and decided to shift the aim of that model line. The K20D was basically marketed as an affordable alternative to the semi-pro offerings like D300/E-3. The K-7 on the other hand seems to aim at the price range of the D90 but offer a whole lot more, which is probably a more attractive approach for buyers.

Therefore the K-7 is effectively the K20D's replacement, in that there isn't going to be an actual K30 or whatever. I reckon Pentax has simply decided to kill off that line
05-28-2009, 12:10 AM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote
I think when Pentax said that the K-7 wasn't a 'replacement' for the Kx0D line it was because they'd acknowledged that the K20D, while a great camera, somewhat missed the marketing niche it was aimed at, and decided to shift the aim of that model line. The K20D was basically marketed as an affordable alternative to the semi-pro offerings like D300/E-3. The K-7 on the other hand seems to aim at the price range of the D90 but offer a whole lot more, which is probably a more attractive approach for buyers.

Therefore the K-7 is effectively the K20D's replacement, in that there isn't going to be an actual K30 or whatever. I reckon Pentax has simply decided to kill off that line
The K20D and K-7 were both launched with the same initial MSRP, so I don't see how one is aimed to compete with the D300/E-3 while the other competes with the D90.

Prog.